Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal?

/ Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal? #1  

genusCastor

Silver Member
Tractor
see sig
I have ten acres of east Texas prairie and have need of a small tractor, mostly for mowing the property right now, but also for odd jobs like pulling out posts, using a box blade, etc. And I have a limited budget right now, so I'm looking for a deal on something used.

There's a Ford 1510 (3 cyl diesel) near me for sale with a bush hog. The tractor looks pretty clean except the rear tires are shot (dry rotted real bad). He says it's 26 hp, but most of the info I've read online suggests it's a 22 hp(?) He bought it used several years ago from a dealer. The bush hog looks old.

Is this model Ford a good tractor? Is there a way to verify the HP? And how can you determine the PTO HP? Are they the same for all models (like 1510 all have the same PTO HP)?

He's asking $3800, I'm thinking to offer him $3K and see what happens. It's been sitting there a few weeks now.

Thanks in advance from a newbie... :rolleyes:

- djb

/ Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal?
Thanks sandman. tractordata.com looks like a good resource, at least to get some basic idea.

There's also this Allis Chalmers model 5020 for sale near me. Wondering if this is a decent tractor for $3K...and if it would it be hard to get parts for an AC(?) I was surprised that AC doesn't have its own section on this forum... I thought AC was a major manufacturer. :confused:

- djb

/ Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal? #4  
djb:

Welcome to TBN and the Blue Forum :D! The Ford 1500 series were tanks and I believe the engine HP is 22 HP . There is a member here called JC-Jetro who is a "guru" about this series. Good luck with your tractor research and acquisition. Jay :)

/ Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal? #5  
My "gut" tells me to go with the Ford.
Bob

/ Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal? #6  
I'd also go with the 1510. I ran a 1710 (one step up) hard for years and it performed like a trooper.

Andy

/ Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal? #7  
While that AC 5020 is a bit bigger.. I think the ford may be a tad easier to get parts for..

soundguy

/ Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal? #8  
I have ten acres of east Texas prairie and have need of a small tractor, mostly for mowing the property right now, but also for odd jobs like pulling out posts, using a box blade, etc. And I have a limited budget right now, so I'm looking for a deal on something used.

There's a Ford 1510 (3 cyl diesel) near me for sale with a bush hog. The tractor looks pretty clean except the rear tires are shot (dry rotted real bad). He says it's 26 hp, but most of the info I've read online suggests it's a 22 hp(?) He bought it used several years ago from a dealer. The bush hog looks old.

Is this model Ford a good tractor? Is there a way to verify the HP? And how can you determine the PTO HP? Are they the same for all models (like 1510 all have the same PTO HP)?

He's asking $3800, I'm thinking to offer him $3K and see what happens. It's been sitting there a few weeks now.

Thanks in advance from a newbie... :rolleyes:

- djb

They are very good tractors specially if you like to do repairs yourself. other than looks what else can you tell us? have you started it, checked Pto and the lift system? have you checked the cooling and charging and starting system? They are built like a tank considering their class as jay says it. One think with 1510 that's is going for it is having live pto and it may even be sync shift. can you verify that with the owner. 3K is good if you can get it. I have not had any issues with my Ford 1700 as far as parts and some componnets like belt and hoses I was able to obtain from autopart stores.

JC,

post pic if you can. was it stored indoor or outdoor?

/ Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal? #9  
I bought my 1985 1510 in 1987 and have only spent around $200.00 for parts, I do all of the repairs myself when needed. Mine is dependable as any JD around.
Larry1510

/ Ford 1510 - Is This a Good Deal? #10  
genusCastor, How many hours are on the Hour Meter??? Check the steering for play and if it has play, it most likely has many hard hours on the machine... Tell us more about that Bush Hog.. IMO, An old Hog is only worth $100, maybe $200.. Tractor with high hours and loose steering; $1500 tops/tight steering & lower hours: $2000 Tops... Keep in mind that those rears tires aren't cheap and it may need a wheel or two... With today's economy, one should be able to pick up a decent tractor for the sellers asking price....