Ford 1700 Starting problem

/ Ford 1700 Starting problem #1  

Piper Pacer

Tractor
Ford 1700
I'm in the process of trying to purchase a 1982 Ford 1700 4x4. They said it was in good condition but it's really hard to start. Someone told them that they needed new glow plugs and fuel injectors. They also said that after you get it started it runs fine, but it burps a little diesel out of the exhaust when running.

Does this sound like a major problem and should I stay away?
They don稚 know how many hours are on the tractor and I haven稚 seen it in person.

Thanks....

/ Ford 1700 Starting problem #2  
I'm in the process of trying to purchase a 1982 Ford 1700 4x4. They said it was in good condition but it's really hard to start. Someone told them that they needed new glow plugs and fuel injectors. They also said that after you get it started it runs fine, but it burps a little diesel out of the exhaust when running.

Does this sound like a major problem and should I stay away?
They don稚 know how many hours are on the tractor and I haven稚 seen it in person.

Thanks....

With so little information it is difficult to pin point the cause. it may be fuel related. Fuel pump can be checked for flow or pressure or at the least you can crack open the lines that go to injector, you'll be able to see the flow and may be eject some air out of the pump if you have any. Do not expect a gosh of flow as the flow is in small and in bursts. Injector spray pattern can be checked by a shop or visually but I would myself take the injector apart unless I see no flow or bad spray pattern, it is a involved process. The injector has a little flow but with a tremendous pressure. High pressure fuel jet can easily break your skin and cause issues if you are not careful. Glow plugs n(two) are very easy to remove for inspection. I have not had a need to check for the resistance specs for the glow plug but NH dealer in your area most likely is able to give you that info quickly. At the least you can take the glow plug off, turn the ignition key left for 30 second to energize glow plug or directly jump it off of the battery and using an infra red thermometer you can read the temp. I have not had a need to figure out what temp it should be, NH can give you that info as well but simply by jumping it you can tell " if it gets hot". I'd look at the condition of fuel , water in the tank (condensation), condition of the fuel filter and the moisture in the sediment bowl. all of the stuff I mentioned can be done very simply with a very few tools. Let us know if you want to see and identify the mentioned components.

JC,

ps. Welcome to the TBN Blue.

/ Ford 1700 Starting problem
Thanks for the reply. I know that I don't have much information and probably won't before making the decision to purchase or not. With what you know would you be afraid to make the purchase? It comes with a front end loader and brush hog. The tractor has new tires all the way around.
Price is $3,500.

/ Ford 1700 Starting problem #4  
Thanks for the reply. I know that I don't have much information and probably won't before making the decision to purchase or not. With what you know would you be afraid to make the purchase? It comes with a front end loader and brush hog. The tractor has new tires all the way around.
Price is $3,500.

Once you add the loader to the mix, makes it sound like a very good deal. It's very difficult to find a Ford 770 loader. I wonder if they had this thing sitting in a barn corner for many years. it may be just be bad fuel. I think it is unlikely, but fuel injector timing can cause very hard start as well. I'll take a listen to the engine and any funny noise while it is running like rod knocking, crankshaft and etc. If it runs I'd be interested be it rough. You don't want to have to overhaul an engine right of the bat. Does the loader and the 3 point lift work? can you post pics. Adding a bush hog and 4 brand new tire ain't bad at all.

You might have a "diamond in the rough"... I hope:D

it certainly is good enough to look at it closely. It might just need some TLC. Keep us posted.

JC,

JC-jetro, yesterday I drove for 7 hours and picked up the Ford 1700 tractor. I couldn't wait to get home and start mowing and after getting here I went and bought a new battery because the tractors was advertised as hard to start. After replacing the battery it started right up. I'm not sure what the problems were or are but it seems to be doing great right now.

My question is, can you tell me where the best place, cheapest, is to purchase an owners manual for the tractor? I'm sure I will also need a service manual and thought you would have a good idea on where to find these items for the best price.

A proud Ford 1700 Tractor owner.....

/ Ford 1700 Starting problem #6  
JC-jetro, yesterday I drove for 7 hours and picked up the Ford 1700 tractor. I couldn't wait to get home and start mowing and after getting here I went and bought a new battery because the tractors was advertised as hard to start. After replacing the battery it started right up. I'm not sure what the problems were or are but it seems to be doing great right now.

My question is, can you tell me where the best place, cheapest, is to purchase an owners manual for the tractor? I'm sure I will also need a service manual and thought you would have a good idea on where to find these items for the best price.

A proud Ford 1700 Tractor owner.....

Congrats on the purchase. I did not buy an owner's manual as the previous owner had itand gave it to me. I have scanned it in to PDF and it is about 33 megs. Service manual from Ford will be quite pricey and I do not have it. instead I have IT Fo-44from TSC Under $20. It does not include the loader as I do not have one.NH website has great parts break down that I really like a lot.I use the combination I mentioned above and so far I have found answers to all that i needed. I can email you some portion of what you need.

JC,

Let's see some pictures of your tractor.

Last edited:
Thanks JC-jetro, I sent you a privot message.

/ Ford 1700 Starting problem #9  
Clean up the grounds where the battery strap hits the chassie.

Also.. you mentioned burping some diesel out the exhaust.. could be things like wet stacking or slobber.

change the oil.. and run her good and hard... these things don't like to be ideled around and babied all day.

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 Starting problem #10  
Piper, Ive got a 2wd 1700 and JC helped me alot when I first bought it, he seems to know this machine inside and out.
The fact that it started right up after just changing the battery is a real good sign, sounds like a good deal especially with 4x4! and the loader, there's not many of 1700 owners here but every thing I've heard about them is praise.
Did you do the glow plug procedure to start, did the coil on the dash get orange, with mine I do need to glow plug all the time unless it's a hot restart, my alternator was bad and I had to have it rebuilt, it gave no idiot light to tell me it was not charging, just drained my new battery, so watch for that.
How many hours on it? and get some pics, Good Luck!
JB.