Help deciding on tractor

/ Help deciding on tractor
Thanks soundguy. I found a Ford 4000 diesel (he says it's a late 70s model) listed at $4500 obo. Probably could get him to come down a little. Also found a 1957 Ford 860 gas for $3750. From your previous post, it sounds as if they would be very similar tractors, but I think that I could get the 4000 for just a few more hundred than the 860. This does put me at the top end of my budget, but it sounds as if I could get much more out of these tractors than a smaller 8n, etc. Also found a few Massey 50 or 150 tractors around the same price. Would appreciate any further opinions about these choices. I apologize for asking again and again, but I am just trying to maximize my return on tractors that seem relatively close in cost and within my price range.

Thanks again, much appreciated

/ Help deciding on tractor #12  
Actually.. no.. I'm not sure what in my post gave you the idea that a post 4000 was anything near an 801.

The 801 and the early 62-64 4000's were practically the same. The 65+ 4000's were a completely different class of machine.

If I could get a post 65 4000 for a few hundred more than the 860.... I'd do it.. it's much more tractor really.. the front axle is much better too. Plus the 192ci 3 cyl is a great engine.

soundguy

Oops. I think I misunderstood. I was not paying attention to the dates. OK, I think that I am going to give it a shot with the post 65 Ford4000. Thanks again and I'll let ya know how it goes.

Can I tell by looking at it if it is a post or pre 65 model. Figured it'd be good info to know.

Thanks

/ Help deciding on tractor #15  
Yep... count the cyls... pre 65 is a 4 cyl engine... post is a 3 cyl...

not to menion they look totally different! ;)

soundguy