Help deciding on tractor

/ Help deciding on tractor #1  

aneuploidy

Tractor
John Deere 510D Backhoe/Loader
Hi. I am new to this whole tractor thing. I bought 6 acre of mostly wooded land with a 2 acre pasture. I am going to clear the brush and small saplings from the wooded area, so am going to need a brush hog. After clearing the area, I will use the tractor to mow the whole lot. May also want to use it for other things too, but just don't know what those things would be yet. The land is mildly sloped in most areas with a few steeper areas too. Would appreciate any advice on the type and size of tractor look for. I figured I would need a pretty strong brush hog to chew up the sapplings. Want to stay as low in cost as possible ($2000-4000 range), so something used and old sounds good to me.
Thanks in advance for the help.

/ Help deciding on tractor #2  
maybe pay someone to bulldoze it for you and buy a big zero turn mower?

i never saw anything for 2-3k that can do that job via purchase, UNLESS it is on criagslist waiting to ship to you if you pay them through a false agent in advance!:p

/ Help deciding on tractor #3  
I agree. Get someone to clear it for you.Then mow it or better yet, hire someone once a year to mow it :D
Bob

/ Help deciding on tractor #4  
May also want to use it for other things too, but just don't know what those things would be yet.

Buy equipment after you know what you are going to do with the land.
Bob

/ Help deciding on tractor
Thanks guys. I guess once I get it cleared, the tractor will be mostly for mowing. I plan on cutting the larger saplings with a chain saw and thought that I would chew up the smaller stuff with a brush hog if possible. Then, I thought maybe the brush hog would be ok for the mowing too. As far as the other stuff to do with a tractor, I am just not sure what all there is, so I guess I wanted one that would be powerful enough to do the normal things that folks do with tractors. I am not a farmer, but will plant a nice medium-sized to large garden. I would like to put up a fence around some of the property (maybe 2-3 acres worth) so might need a post hole digger. But I guess I could rent most of that stuff instead of buying. But I still figured I would need a tractor to some degree. I do have a huge john deere 510D backhoe, but that doesn't have a PTO on it. Not sure if that provides any more info that you need to offer advice on a particular model tractor.

How about gas versus diesel. I have seen a ford 3000 gas for $3000 on craigslist. would it be a mistake to buy a gas tractor.
Also, thanks for the reminder that too good of a deal is just that. I will stay away from the divorced wife who wants to give me the 20 grand john deere for $4000, if I only send her the cash first. :)

/ Help deciding on tractor #6  
maybe pay someone to bulldoze it for you and buy a big zero turn mower?

i never saw anything for 2-3k that can do that job via purchase, UNLESS it is on criagslist waiting to ship to you if you pay them through a false agent in advance!:p

Surely you jest.. that's a perfect price range for a ford 8XX model..( 1955-1962 ) that's a 50hp tractor.. that and a HD 6' hog and you can mow just about anythingthe front axle will push over...

soundguy

Thanks soundguy. That's actually music to my ears. I can afford to go up to about 4K for the tractor alone, but would rather get both a solid tractor and mower for that price. I don't mind old, as long as I know that in general a certain model is known for it's reliability and usability. I will see if I can hunt down a ford 8xx. If not, could you recommend any other particular models I might want to look for. I've seen a ton of 8n and 9n for about 2K and there seem to be a lot of Massey Fergusen 50s out there for about 3-4K. But the Masseys that I have seen are gas not diesel. Don't know if this is a big deal or not.

Thanks again

/ Help deciding on tractor #8  
You'll probably find some nice 8xx series Fords out there. I have a 850, and would recommend the 860 or the 850 (in that order). They will have the HP to chew up some brush, and later be able to keep things mowed nicely. When buying a bush hog, be sure to check for the lowest cutting height available if you plan to mow grass later. The one I have (king kutter 72") mows to a minimum height of 4 or 5" which is actually higher when in the field. Many mow down to 2" and I would recommend something along those lines if mowing grass areas.

Thanks. Would not have even considered that. Will definitely keep this in mind when buying a brush hog, as I will definitely want to mow with it later. These replies are much appreciated and giving me good direction.

/ Help deciding on tractor #10  
Yep.. an 860 or 861 would be at the top of my list.. followed by the 850 / 851.. the '8' means 172ci engine.. the 6 means 5spd live pto, and 5 means 5 spd non live pto.

There are also 840/841 models that sport a 4 speed and non live pto.. .. less trans speeds.. but for mowing.. an 84* will still get it done.

The later '1' models are more likely to posess power steering, and can also be had in diesel configuration.

IE..**0 was 1955-1957 **1 was 1958-1962

Also.. from 62-64 the early thousand series was virtually the same as thehundred series.. thus a 601 and 2000 were similar ( had 134ci gas / 144ci diesel engine ).. and the 801 and 4000 were similar with 172ci gas / diesel engine..) (propane was available too.. etc.. ) .. Thus an early pre-65 4000 will be an option as well... still the same price range too.

Couple those to a good hog and you are set. I have an 850 and 1-arm laoder and move round hay bales on the loader with it.. a testement to a smallish tractor near the size of an 8n.. yet nearly twice as powerfull.

soundguy