Total rookie about to buy a T2420

/ Total rookie about to buy a T2420 #1  

The Mountain

First post, sorry in advance.

Bought 45 acres recently with the hopes of developing the land into a self-sufficient mini farm. Also planning to build a home over the next 2 1/2 years on the site. My goal this year is to lay down a gravel driveway about 750' long and a gravel pad that Morton is going to build a 36x40 over in July. Planning to use the barn to store equipment while developing the land and pouring foundation for the house.

I spent some time visiting dealers and testing equipment and want to buy an 08' T2420 with cab and loader. I was going to use the loader for all the gravel work, rent a backhoe attachment to run utility lines, and eventually end up with something that can mow a considerable amount of acreage as well. I initially wanted a loader/backhoe but thought a utility sized tractor would be more versatile from an agricultural standpoint when it was all said and done. Please pick apart my plan piece by piece, I've got a good (maybe great) price quote of 31,500 and plan on purchasing this month. Does this all sound reasonable?

FYI I'm going with the cab just for comfort and so one of my sons can sit on my knee while we drive around. I did grow up working on a farm doing hay and fencing work. We just had an old Oliver with duals that never broke down, machinery now is worlds apart.

Last edited:
   / Total rookie about to buy a T2420 #2  
The T2420 is a very nice tractor and $31,500 is a great price. Will you be able to rent a backhoe attachment for it...that's rather uncommon? Also, will it be big enough for a 45 acre farm? Dan

Partspring original New Holland parts

/ Total rookie about to buy a T2420 #3  
First post, sorry in advance.

Bought 45 acres recently with the hopes of developing the land into a self-sufficient mini farm. Also planning to build a home over the next 2 1/2 years on the site. My goal this year is to lay down a gravel driveway about 750' long and a gravel pad that Morton is going to build a 36x40 over in July. Planning to use the barn to store equipment while developing the land and pouring foundation for the house.

I spent some time visiting dealers and testing equipment and want to buy an 08' T2420 with cab and loader. I was going to use the loader for all the gravel work, rent a backhoe attachment to run utility lines, and eventually end up with something that can mow a considerable amount of acreage as well. I initially wanted a loader/backhoe but thought a utility sized tractor would be more versatile from an agricultural standpoint when it was all said and done. Please pick apart my plan piece by piece, I've got a good (maybe great) price quote of 31,500 and plan on purchasing this month. Does this all sound reasonable?

FYI I'm going with the cab just for comfort and so one of my sons can sit on my knee while we drive around. I did grow up working on a farm doing hay and fencing work. We just had an old Oliver with duals that never broke down, machinery now is worlds apart.
Bad Idea:
A tractor should never have anyone but the operator on it.

/ Total rookie about to buy a T2420 #5  

Did you get the T2420?. We're looking at the same tractor, with some other stuff too. Do you mind saying what you finally paid and what other stuff, like extra rear remotes, you got?

How did you decide on Morton? We also need a new barn. Been wondering what the best route to go is. Any idea how thick a pad, how deep and thick the footings should be in Northern Maine?

/ Total rookie about to buy a T2420 #6  
Believe me if you can buy a T2420 4x4, cab and loader for 31,500 that is a great deal.