64 Ford 2000

/ 64 Ford 2000 #1  

onebadfish

I am looking for a tractor to cut grass with and also for snow removal. I also plan on using it to run a log splitter once acquired. I am curious what the group thinks of the pricing on this model as well as how it would fit my needs. I am looking for my first tractor, I have included the description of the one I am looking at. The asking price is $2975. Thanks in advance.

1964 Ford 2000 4 cyl gas with a 7 back blade
The four-cylinder Ford 2000 tractor was very similar to the 601 Workmaster series of Ford tractors.
134 ci (2.2L) 4 cyl with 36 hp
Wheelbase: 75.8 inches
Front tire: 5.50 16
Rear tire: 11.2 28
6 volt
Live hydraulics
Newer starter and reinforced radiator
Rebuilt carb
Power steering
Has an oil leak
Starts and runs great
Includes a shop manual and an owners manual

Attachments

• 642000.jpg
    642000.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 642000a.jpg
    642000a.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 642000b.jpg
    642000b.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 280
   / 64 Ford 2000 #2  
The tractor should do all those jobs well except powerig a log splitter. At 4gpm, the hydraulic system will not have sufficient flow to run the typical 4" bore log splitter cylinder with reasonable cycle times.
The pricing is probably OK, depending on from where and how severely the oil is leaking from it.

/ 64 Ford 2000 #3  
OBF, Dosn't sound like to bad a deal. These are good old tractors, and will do all you need it to do. As Rick said, I would think you would be better with a stand a lone splitter. Hydraulics just aren't there with these tractors. Usually best used for lifting equipment, or operating a cylinder, rather than continuous running of machinery.

Here in SW Ohio 3k is an average price. On Craig list from mid 2K with problems, to uper 4K with good sheet metal and few problems. About the same on dealer lot. Pretty area dependent.

How bad, and from where is the oil leak? Equipment from this vintage usually have some kind of leak. Some you just keep an eye on and keep fluid levels up and live with it. Others are major bucks, and should be avoided. Just my 2cents.

/ 64 Ford 2000
Thanks for the input. I saw it today and it cold started great. There is a tiny bit of oil on the barn floor where this tractor lives ( less than a teaspoon) and it is leaking less than my harley so I suppose I can live with that. He seems to baby it and stores it indoors only using it now to plow snow in winter although it has been used to plant some deer feed in a plot. The sheetmetal is not pretty but not terrible as shown in the pictures. He just sweetened the deal by offering his 2006 50" simplicity zero turn with the Ford for 5,400. I could really use the simplicty more than the Ford but I dont think i can get hurt at this price on either. I will look for another way to split wood I understand what you have added here regarding the hydraulics on this tractor. My thought is if I dont get the use out of the Ford I thought I would then I can always turn it, and I do have a long driveay to plow/grate and maintain.

Thanks, Tim

/ 64 Ford 2000 #5  
You dont necessarily have to run the splitter off the tractor hydraulics. A PTO driven pump would work too (better) if the tractor could drive it.

/ 64 Ford 2000
oops sorry thats what I was reffering to, a PTO driven pump for the splitter. Thanks for clarifying that, I should have been more clear.

/ 64 Ford 2000 #7  
Then it appears you'd be OK using the Prince std duty pump.

/ 64 Ford 2000 #8  
That's about a 3k$ machine around my parts.

soundguy