New, used, which tractor?

/ New, used, which tractor? #1  

msmith

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Powerstar 75
I have been looking to either upgrade my Ford 3930 to something with more hp, or possibly keeping it and getting another tractor with more hp to compliment it. Right now it is used on approximatley 185 acres of mixed woods, pasture, and hay. We also do another 35 - 40 acres of hay a few miles down the road, and cut fire wood and do some brush hogging on another 100 acres just a ways down the road too. Biggest implement we have is a BR7050 4x4 round baler. The 3930 handles it OK, until you turn up hill with a bale chamber half full or better. These hills are steep, and although I can gear down and handle it OK, more hp would definitly be an asset. as well as going with a 7' brush hog vs a 6'.

Right now, I am looking at a used TN75 SA cab tractor w/loader. It has app. 700 hours and all the bells and whistles such as super steer and clutchless shuttle. The dealer is asking $32000.

I also found a left over TN75 non cab tractor that has the clutchless shuttle, no super steer, with loader, for $30857 cash or $31857 NH financed.

Another option is to go with a new T4030 or a T4030 cab, both with loaders. These are set up pretty much standard, no bells and whistles except for being loader ready. Dealer is asking $34000 for the non cab and $37900 for the cab model.

My questions:

The TN75SA seems like a pretty sweet deal but...Is there anything to look at that might be an inherent problem? How is the super steer on hillsides? Right now, I take my 3930 in places I probably shouldn't, and I like that. Saves lots of hand work. At $32k though, I might be able to swing keeping the 3930.

Would it be worth an extra $2k to go for the used loaded cab tractor vs the NEW non cab TN75 or would one be better off going new?

OR...would one be better off going with the new T4000 series, w/o bells and whistles and having just one tractor?

Are these prices pretty competitive?

I know that's a lot of info to chew on, but any advice by those who are more in the know regarding late model tractors would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

/ New, used, which tractor? #2  
Being a loader guy, not a big fan of supersteer. It seems to me supersteer, unevenground and a loader are a bad combo. Driving straight it would be great with it's long wheelbase, but turning hard on a hillside with a load in the bucket or something in tow may spell disaster. I spend a lot of time in your neck of the woods and am familiar with the terrrain. I would find it Hairy with a conventional tractor.
The TN75 is a great tractor. That would be my choice. Is it a TN75A?

/ New, used, which tractor? #3  
I agree with Tommyboy. I would not go for a supersteer tractor for what you want. Cab or open is a matter of preference. I have both and really like the cab if I am going to be sitting there for a while. I like the open platform if I am going to be getting on and off a lot. 10 years from now, I am sure I will not regret having the cab ;)

As far as more than one tractor, I vote for keeping the 3930. I almost always have something hooked up that I don't want to change, but still need a tractor with a different implement. When it is time for hay, two people, two tractors. One person rakes, one follows with the baler. Really saves time.

I would do a little more looking for a low hour cab tractor with a loader. For example, I live in TN and on equipmentlocator.com ( I think anyhow) there is/ was a JX75 cab with a self leveling loader for $32K and only 250 hours or so. I almost bought it but ended up with a used TN75DA 16x16 with power shuttle. The T4000 cab tractor you are looking at would be nice if you have to have new. They are nice tractors, but if you can find a way, you will not regret keeping the Ford

/ New, used, which tractor?
I have done some questioning locally, and figger on staying clear of super steer. After talking with the local dealer's service manager, I think I will stay clear of the new 4000 series for now. He says the TN series is pretty bulletproof and a lot of bang for the buck. They also sell JDs. So, right now I am leaning toward the left over TN75 unless I can find a good used cab tractor sometime soon.

Thanks for the replies,

Mike

/ New, used, which tractor? #5  
Are you dealing with Hayhurst?

/ New, used, which tractor?
Yes. My 3930 is over there right now getting a new power steering pump as well as some other needed maintenance. The service manager likes the John Deere M series and the New Holland TN series. Jury is still out on the new 4000 series due to the recirculating exhaust and such.