/ 6640 #1  

chh

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 596 , MF 4243, MF 1433V, D4H, D3C
I am somewhat familiar with the 6610 and have run one quite a few hours. I have run across an ad for a 6640. 2 wd, cab/air(supposedly working) claiming 2500 hrs. Pics of it look nice, with good paint(fresh paint always worries me) and decent looking rubber. They list it as an 87 hp tractor. What are the basic differences in the 6610 and the 6640? Any big problems with them.

/ 6640 #2  
A 6640 IS NOT 87 pto hp, but may be 87 gross engine HP; the turbocharged 7740 is 87 at the PTO. There are three versions of the PowerStar 40 series, S, SL, and SLE. The 'S' version is very similar to a 6610 with the updated PowerStar engine and electric over hydraulic PTO. SL's have either a 12x12 mechanical shuttle transmission or a 24x24 Dual Power transmission (uncommon). SLE's have a 16x16 Electroshift partial powershift with a manual reverser and CCLS hydraulic system. It is important to know which version you are looking at to determine value and whether the features match your needs. The SL Dual Power and SLE are Ford's first use of electronics on a farm tractor and don't have the sophistication or on-board diagnostics we enjoy today. They are fairly reliable, however.

/ 6640
Well I'm learning some already. I didn't know that they had that many models or tranny options. I figuired 87 engine hp was more like it. If it would top 70 on the pto it would be adequate for a backup baling tractor. The actual use would be to hook to a hay mower for the summer and possibly a batwing hog in the fall. Working air is a must though;). The are asking around 10 grand for it as it sits. No FEL on it and I wouldn't need one since I have 3 others.

/ 6640 #4  
I believe the 6640 is 76 PTO hp.

/ 6640 #5  
If it's worth dragging home to use, it's probably worth the 10 grand. Check to see if it is R-12 or R134A (air conditioner). It could be either based on build date. Check it out, if you have more questions, I am here just about every day.