Skid Steer?????

/ Skid Steer????? #1  

rotr

Bronze Member
Tractor
none yet
Have been looking at tractors and got side tracked on skid steers. Didn't realize that there are attachments that match everything that can be bought for a tractor.

Now am interested in the NH LS150 thru LS170. Don't plan on doing any crops beyond a small garden. Will mostly use for mowing and landscaping efforts. Seems that skid steers are about the best bang for the buck on power/weight/capability functions.

Now, would appreciate any and all comments on TBNer's experience or attitudes relating to skid steer instead of a tractor.

Ron

/ Skid Steer????? #2  
Tractors will not tear things up as much as skid steers do. Also, try the routine of getting in and out of a skid steer and decide if that is what you don't mind and are capable of doing on a regular basis. I rent a skid steer when I need that kind of tool (or one that fits it), and I don't like the exercise required to get in and get out. Once I am in, then they are comfortable, although a bit confining. Dusty and hot unless they have a cab and A/C. Other than that, they are great and fantastic machines (Bobcat for me though).

/ Skid Steer????? #3  
Ron,

I have rented many skidsteers and have a tractor.
Bottom line in my opnioin is that the skidsteer is far superior for moving dirt around or other loader tasks since you can manuver very quickly. However, for all else the tractor is better.
Also have you tried a skidsteer on steep ground? Ever notice that everyone loads them on a trailer backwards? They are very back heavy with and empty bucket that can make even mild slopes scary.
In comparison a tractor is far more stable on steep ground.
The tractor is also faster for mowing over long distances.

The good part of the skidsteer is the used ones are plentiful and can be had for under 10K if you don't mind some hours.

Fred

/ Skid Steer????? #4  
rotr, when building our house 2 years ago I had the use of a NH LX485 skid steer with backhoe and put about 250 hours on it. I believe a skid steer will out work a CUT tractor doing loader work by a 3-1 margin. Some of the drawbacks of skid steers have already been mentioned but I will add it is somewhat of a pain to mount the backhoe and the limited ground clearance. Also when doing any work on grades it is easy to bog down the skid steer when trying to back up the grade. They definitely have their place but I'll take my NH 1920 most of the time.

Bill C

/ Skid Steer????? #5  
Skid Steers are superior to any tractor when it comes to Landscaping work. The main thing I like is it's ability to lift heavy pallets of sod. I also like a tractors comfort as a Skid Steer will beat you down after a hard day. The best Skid on the market to me is the new Bobcat A-300 which like it's smaller counter part the A-220 it has 4 wheel steering which is soo nice but the A-300 has a vertical lift which is superior as well as more h/p. It depends on what feels best to you I suppose and what your wallet can stand. A new decked out A-300 w/enclosed cab with a/c and an 4in1 bucket comes to $39,900 after farm tax. Tractors are less expensive and take hills much better. Just my 2 cents.

/ Skid Steer?????
Thanks guys! I'm still torn between the two. Guess I'll have to figure out how to get both. Sure would like to.

Ron

/ Skid Steer????? #7  
Well Rotr....I have both, and I am happy that I do.

I wouldn't think of using the skid steer to mow the 25 acres I've got -- and the skid steer has been awesome in digging, hauling, and clearing my other 25 acres of Wild Flora Rose bushes and assorted weeds in the woods, which my tractor would not be very efficient in doing.

I am getting much more use from the Bobcat than the Tractor, but I don't think I could get by with just one or the other.

| <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pbase.com/image/2013489>Mowing the field

/ Skid Steer????? #8  
I agree with Dave. I've also got both and wouldn't want to be without either one. If I HAD to choose I would have a tractor. You can do everything with a tractor that skidsteer can do, although not as fast, but you can't do everything with a skidsteer that a tractor can do.

One thing to consider though, as has been mentioned, they are not very stable on uneven ground. I've rocked mine back on it's back side a few times and that wasn't even on hardly anything of an incline. They are pretty worthless that way.

/ Skid Steer????? #9  
Now that you have determined that you need both a tractor and a skid steer, take a look at the Power Trac Forum. I have an 1845 with a 72" front mounted rough-cut mower which is good for pastures. I also have a 4 n 1 bucket, a mulch bucket a Lackender front mounted hoe and a posthole auger. I don't yet have pallet forks, but want them. For mowing, moving pallets, digging, etc., the PT combines some of the best traits of skid steers and conventional tractors, but won't tear up the turf the way a skid steer will. One of the great advantages of a Power Trac or skid steer is the front mounted, quick change attachments. You not only can see what you're working with, but can change without having to wrestle with a 3 point hitch. Once you've dug postholes with a front mounted auger on a Power Trac or Skid steer, you'll never want to go back.
Power Trac isn't for everyone, but it's worth a look.

Power Trac is at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.power-trac.com/>LINK</A>