1938 9N

/ 1938 9N #1  
Tractor
John Deere 5205
Not had much experience with older tractors. Would a 1938 Ford 9N be capable of operating a MF29 4 wheel pinwheel rake for hay. the rake is a 3pt hitch.

/ 1938 9N #2  
I don't see why not. You would might want to have the 3pt lift control lever set at the neutral position, or slightly below, while operating to preclude inadvertant lifting of the rake due to a compressive force on the top link. To find the neutral point position the lift control lever at a point where the 3pt tends to drop from a raised position. Then, slowly raise the lift control lever until the first lift pulse is felt on the lift arm (placing a hand palm down on the lift arm, then leaning on it, will allow you to sense that lift pulse). Set your lift control lever stop at the bottom of the lift control lever as a refernce point. It should work O.K.

/ 1938 9N #3  
Maybee a 39' would ;)

soundguy

/ 1938 9N
I think the lack of position control on the 9N's hitch would be troublesome. FWIW 9N production began in 1939.
Thanks for info. Haven't purchased it yet was just going on what guy told me as far as the year. Just wanted to make sure it would handle that rake. What do you think would be a good price for that model? It does need new rear wheels and tires, but the body is in good shape, no rust or dents, runs good, converted to 12v system. Thanks.

/ 1938 9N #6  
If you are specifically focusing on the early Ford "N" tractors, perhaps the 8N with a four speed transmission vs. the 9N with a three speed transmission might be worth exploring. The "N" guys will help you make that determination. I had a very late model 8N with the larger reverse ring gear but had to sell it due to the stiff steering and my decomposing shoulder sockets. Wound up with a 2002 TC-40 and have never looked back.

/ 1938 9N #7  
rubber is expensive.. unless you can find a good set of rims with rubber on them.. expect to pay about 110 bucks for a loop style 28" rim, and about 300$ for a 11.2-28 rear tire.. add 15$ for a tube... that's per side.

A good running N should be able to be found inthe 1500-2500$ range.

As rick said.. no position control on a 9n stock... there are add on external feedback kits to give you quasi position control, and you can get away with alot of things using limit chains.. but if you want oem position contrl.. get an 8n.. unless the 9n is a super deal.. if it is a super deal.. you can always drop in an 8n lift cover and pump!

soundguy

/ 1938 9N #8  
Like Sound Guy said, tires are expensive. My buddy has a 8N and one busted leaking calcium all over his yard, another story. Anyway he needed 2 new wheels, new rubber, new tubes, and tires re filled, this time with Windshield Washer Fluid, and if I remember right it was $1100 after all was said and done.

Now for the calcium on the yard. He tried for 3 years to get grass going for 2 seasons with no luck so had to have it dug out and new dirt hauled in. $$$$.

Chris

/ 1938 9N
Thanks for all of your help. Didn't realize it would cost that much for tires and wheels. Not sure if this may be the right tractor for our operation. Just wanted a second smaller tractor to help out when we cut our hay and figured this tractor could pull a small wagon, run a small mower for touch ups and raking. But after looking closer at our MF 29 rake 3pt hitch, it weighs alot more than i originally thought (600-800 lbs). It will probably make the front end very light on this tractor. If we had a pull behind rake with trailing wheels it would probably work out fine.

/ 1938 9N #10  
An N can lift 800 # for sure, if it is in good condition.. however.. weight on front helps.

gotta watch that tire issue $$ though..

soundguy