Discount for used?

/ Discount for used? #1  

Bradey

Tractor
JD 955
I hope no one takes any offense at this question, but I'm looking for ideas what I should expect as a discount from new for a well-maintained 1999 33D/SS Boomer (some warranty), with 50+ hours, and assorted implements, most of them little used (one somewhat damaged but useable). I'm thinking 20%, including the 5-6% tax associated with buying new. Am I being too unrealistic? This was an advertised tractor from a presumably motivated seller, interested in upgrading. I guess it comes down to, how much more am I willing to pay for new and how much risk I am willing to take on a used machine.

/ Discount for used? #2  
Bradey, I don't know what a used tractor should be worth, but I've seen some other messages mentioning 25% off new retail as a general guideline for good used ones. I don't taxes were taken into consideration on that number, but don't really know.

Bird

/ Discount for used? #3  
Bradey, I don't know what a used tractor should be worth, but I've seen some other messages mentioning 25% off new retail as a general guideline for good used ones. I don't think taxes were taken into consideration on that number, but don't really know.

Bird

/ Discount for used? #4  
Based on my limited experience (and what my dealer told me when I was looking to purchase my tractor) I would expect that the discount would be closer to 10-15%. This will vary based on the old supply/demand economics factor in your geographic area. The great resale value of the compact diesels was one of my justifications for spending the money that I did! Don't tell me that I was wrong :)

DavidV

/ Discount for used? #5  
DavidV,

I tend to agree with you. 25% off of a '99 50 hour tractor would be a lot! When discussing resale, it's usually mentioned how much resale our old tractors have.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Discount for used?
I agree 25% that one person mentioned is too much to expect. I mentioned 20% (which I'm not getting) less 5-6% adjustment for sales tax for an actual discount of 14-15% from dealer selling price. Is that too much to expect? Shouldn't I just buy new if the discount is too meager?

/ Discount for used? #7  
Bradey,

As a firm believer that the dealer is the key to a great tractor ownership experience I would buy new from a dealer if the used discount is meager. This way the dealer has received some form of compensation from you in consideration for the services that you expect them to perform. You can also buy the exact machine you want, no more and no less, this alone can save you many dollars or headaches down the road.

DavidV

/ Discount for used? #8  
That is a new tractor that you would be buying. Usually the sales tax is adjusted if he trades it in. About $20/hour of usage is probably about right. For $1000 under new, the difference is nil for new or used.

Sure would hate to buy a new tractor and find out after 50 hours that I bought the wrong tractor! Bet he is not planning to buy a smaller tractor.

/ Discount for used? #9  
I saw a 19XX Series Ford - 3Years old with 80 hours go for 91% of todays value of a new Boomer. I quit bidding at 87% and decided to buy new.

/ Discount for used? #10  
Marty,

Thanks for posting...supports the reason that I bought new!
And speaks well for resale on New Holland/Ford! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!