New Holland vs Kubota

/ New Holland vs Kubota #1  

victor

Tractor
New Holland/TC25D
Have the chance to purchase a 16hp Kubota B7300HSD 4wd w/ 52 hrs or a brand new 18hp New Holland tc18 4wd for $220 less. Main uses are field mowing four acres w/ bush hog and garden tilling. Any ideas on what is the better buy?

/ New Holland vs Kubota
Thanks folks for your input (see buying kubota). I'm going with the Blue. The principle use of the new tractor will be to mow about 3-4 acres w/ a 60" woods bush hog. The dilemma now is wether the tc21d vs tc18 would be a smarter buy for $2600 more. The tc21d only has two more rear pto hp than the tc18 but has power steering, an option on the tc18. Both are hydrostatic. Any thoughts?

/ New Holland vs Kubota #3  
Victor, it's really just a matter of personal choice and you have to decide if it's worth the extra money. I'd very likely still have my B7100 if I hadn't had both hands operated on for carpal tunnel syndrome and decided to shop for a tractor with power steering (and in the process decided to move up a bit on size, power, and comfort). Of course, I like power steering anytime, but especially for front end loader work. They can be a bear to maneuver with a load in the bucket and no power steering.

Bird

/ New Holland vs Kubota #4  
Victor,
If you've read anything I've written, you know I'm BLUE to the bone so, I'm happy you're going BLUE. However, looking in my NH brochure I'm showing that the TC18 & 21 are only rated for a 48" Rotary Cutter. You have to move up to the TC25 for a 60" rating. I am using a 60" rear finish mower, Woods, on my TC18 that it is not rated for, the salesman said he had sold several for the TC18 and customer feedback was great. I have used it several times and have no problems except having to add front weights to keep the front end on the ground. I want to add a 48" rotary cutter to my collection of attachments.

I haven't used a rotary cutter before but my neighbor has a 5' one that he said shook his Ford 8N around when he used it on that. He said I could try it if I wanted to but I haven't taken him up on it yet. He currently uses a Flail mower for what most people would probably rotary cut and he really likes it. The TC18 & 21 are rated for 50"/60" Flail Mowers. Good Luck, sorry if I muddied up the waters! You might ask several NH dealers if the smaller TC's will handle it or not? Please let us know. JimBinMI

/ New Holland vs Kubota #5  
Just a thought - 3-4 acres isn't that huge, so how about going with the 18 and a 48 inch bushhog, pocket the $2600, and take a llittle longer to get the job done? Believe me, it will not seem like work, just fun, so taking a little longer to get the "work" done might make it easier to explain to "somebody" why you need the day on the tractor rather than going to visit the inlaws!

/ New Holland vs Kubota #7  
You say your neighbor says his 5' rotary cutter "shook" his Ford 8N? What did he do; sharpen the blades and get them badly out of balance?

Bird

/ New Holland vs Kubota #8  
I agree with Bird on this one, I have used an old 8n, and 5 foot rotary cutter, and it never shook the tractor. I just had to go real slow to cut down what I was mowing.

/ New Holland vs Kubota #9  
I think that's most likely, too. Of course, he could've been missing a blade completely, or had a bent shaft.

Mark

/ New Holland vs Kubota #10  
Bird & others,
Let's remember everything is subject to perspective. He uses a Flail mower which I believe is very smooth. He might think it shook too much compared to the flail? He even has weighted tires! I will however share with him the wisdom of this board and maybe he'll check out the rotary. It looks really old...that's my perspective on it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif JimBinMI