NH ???? to replace Ford 5600

/ NH ???? to replace Ford 5600 #1  

klw5600

Tractor
Ford 5600
I moved out to some Tennessee farmland a few years back and a Ford 5600 came with the place we bought. It's a great tractor in my opinion but seriously showing it's age. I don't want to depend on it as my only tractor any more. Also, there is no ROPS and no cab. So, I'm looking for a new tractor, and with a cab. Planning to take the 5600 out of service when I get a new tractor and have it fixed up in the shop for a second tractor. From where I live there are 3 NH dealerships which have treated me well, so I am planning to stay with NH, although I would consider other options. The local dealers have encouraged me to look at the TD5050, which I would outfit with a loader. I think the price will be in the mid 40,000, which is about all I would want to spend. One dealer also has a left over TN70DA which has been sitting around in another state, but appears new. It has a 16x16 trans. with a mechanical clutch and shuttle. It must have had a loader at one time because the controls are on the inside, but no loader outside. He wants to work up a price for me with a loader and tells me it should be a better price since that model was discontinued. (no quote yet) The specs for the TN70DA seem a rough equivalent to my 5600. Anyone have opinions about these tractors?

I have 117 acres, much of which is in timber. I have about 40 which is currently leased out for row crops. I use the 5600 for mowing, bush-hogging, and box blade work. I have also used it for pulling a small disk and a 4 bladed breaking plow. I have plans to eventually take the row crop area out of lease and put it in hay- round bales.

I think what I would love to have would be a new T4050 with a nice cab and a loader, but I think I wouldn't like the price quote on that one.

Thanks, everyone.

/ NH ???? to replace Ford 5600 #2  
I think that tn70 may be right up your alley size wise.

what's wrong with the 5600 that you think it's going to suddenly fail.. that's a darn good machine.. great history leading back to the 5000.

ps.. you can get a rops for that 5600...

soundguy

/ NH ???? to replace Ford 5600
There's a list of problems with the 5600 I have, none of them critical I suppose. The latest thing to crop up is what seems to be a leak in the steering system. It's a slow leak, I think. The fuel injector has a leak as well, probably needs rebuilt. If either of those systems goes, it might be a big problem. Next is the electrical system- neither the fuel gauge nor the coolant temp gauge work (really need that temp gauge fixed). The starter works 80% of the time, otherwise I get a "click" sound which may repeat several times before the starter gets going. There are no lights (or wires for lights), which means I'm out of business past dusk, which is a nice time to mow compared to noon. I've been inches away from having ROPS installed, and I will probably do that, and put a sunshade on the bar. There's a slow oil leak near the head gasket I've been watching for now. The clutch started slipping last summer, but only under heavy load when hot. I haven't decided yet if the clutch system has to be rebuilt. Probably does. It (whole tractor) has 4400+ hours on it. There are other issues, but they are pretty much cosmetic and I can ignore them. But I'm not trading it in, and it will go to the shop for some of this work if I get a new tractor. If nothing else, I'm fond of it.

Beyond that, I have some allergies and I want a cab. My lower lying fields get wet often in the winter and fwd sure would be helpful. So would a loader. The dealer selling the TN70DA with loader quotes me a price of 37700 at present- quite a bit less than the TD5050 (also with fwd and loader). He's going to work up a price for a newer T4000 series tractor for me to compare to.

/ NH ???? to replace Ford 5600 #4  
I highly recommend the TN70DA. I most certainly would not pay more for a TD5050 than the TN. It sounds as if a little TLC for the 5600 will make it a nice 2ND unit. Don't discount the option of replacing both the front and rear main wiring harnesses. It will probably save you a bunch of aggrivation over the long haul.

/ NH ???? to replace Ford 5600 #5  
I agree with rick.. a little tlc on that 5600 and it will be a great backup.

adding lamps is easy.. even if you wire it up yourself. Have you adjusted the clutch?

good luck on the purchase.

soudnguy

There's a list of problems with the 5600 I have, none of them critical I suppose. The latest thing to crop up is what seems to be a leak in the steering system. It's a slow leak, I think. The fuel injector has a leak as well, probably needs rebuilt. If either of those systems goes, it might be a big problem. Next is the electrical system- neither the fuel gauge nor the coolant temp gauge work (really need that temp gauge fixed). The starter works 80% of the time, otherwise I get a "click" sound which may repeat several times before the starter gets going. There are no lights (or wires for lights), which means I'm out of business past dusk, which is a nice time to mow compared to noon. I've been inches away from having ROPS installed, and I will probably do that, and put a sunshade on the bar. There's a slow oil leak near the head gasket I've been watching for now. The clutch started slipping last summer, but only under heavy load when hot. I haven't decided yet if the clutch system has to be rebuilt. Probably does. It (whole tractor) has 4400+ hours on it. There are other issues, but they are pretty much cosmetic and I can ignore them. But I'm not trading it in, and it will go to the shop for some of this work if I get a new tractor. If nothing else, I'm fond of it.

Beyond that, I have some allergies and I want a cab. My lower lying fields get wet often in the winter and fwd sure would be helpful. So would a loader. The dealer selling the TN70DA with loader quotes me a price of 37700 at present- quite a bit less than the TD5050 (also with fwd and loader). He's going to work up a price for a newer T4000 series tractor for me to compare to.

Soundguy- funny you should say that. I have a box of lights just for the 5600 sitting in the shed. I got sidetracked on the lighting project when I figured out how bad the wiring is. Replacing both harnesses is a good idea. I have not tried to adjust the clutch. That is a good idea too. If it starts slipping again I may try that, although right now I have no idea how. Maybe the book I have on it will explain how.

The little I've found on the TD5050 here on the forums is making me cautious of that model tractor. People seem happy with the TN series. Friends of mine here have been trying to steer me toward Kubota, too. I haven't talked to that dealership yet, but hear good things about them. The 3rd NH dealership in the area also carries Case. I'm not familiar with Case except it appears they are largely the same tractor as NH now? Guess everything has gone global now. I should probably at least see what they have on the lot.

/ NH ???? to replace Ford 5600 #7  
check yer service manual on clutch adjustment.

soundguy

/ NH ???? to replace Ford 5600 #8  
My main gripe about Kubota is that on most models even the most rudimentary service procedures are difficult due to design characteristics.

Checked out the local NH and Case dealer- seems to have all Case now. Has a nice Case Farmall 80 that seems similar to the TN70DA, at least superficially. I'm trying to learn more about the Case Farmall line before I decide. However, I can get a better price for the TN70DA, since it is a discontinued model. There's only one hydraulic hookup on the back (all I've needed so far is one) I wonder how hard it is to add one? I think I'll ask at the dealership. Overall I think I am getting ready to move on the TN70- he has a loader in stock for it, so no waiting there. The cab has everything I could want- dust filtration, AC, Heater, AM/FM CD player, etc. The tractor is not physically very big, which will probably help when I use it to mow. (I mow our yard with the 5600 pulling a Land Pride "All Flex" finish mower- three floating decks totaling 14 feet wide- I figure the TN will be maneuverable enough to continue this practice). Thanks for everyone's input.

/ NH ???? to replace Ford 5600 #10  
Adding one or two more rear remote valves to a TN is no big deal. I have added valves to several TN's at owner's locations using tools I typically carry on the service truck.

Does this TN already have the midmount valve and joystick that will control the loader?