ford 1700

/ ford 1700
Thanks for the great info. So far everything looks right, except the grill and headlight placement. If you have your tractor available, can you take a picture of the front wheel drive section where it actually couples to the wheel. On this unit, it is some sort of large ball and socket joint with a 1/4" think speroid bushing sealing the internals. Looks interesting, but i've never seen the front final drive of another '1700' to compare it to.

All in all, the machine looked and sounded great. In low gear, there was some 'gear whine" like you would here from big gear reduction.. but no drinding, or play. Wasn't audible in higher gears.

Oh, sorry to keep making requests here, but you are a good resource, as you have a comparison model. If you can take pictures, could you get a shot of the alternator area, and also, the right side an engine shot, kinda above the starter, and right of the injector pump?
thanks for all the help you have already provided.

Soundguy

<font color=blue>I wouldn't be afraid of the tractor itself. I'd temper that with the "story" and the dealer - his attitude, shop appearance, etc. I'd be interested in learning more about that tractor, if you pursue it, just to learn the similarities/differences with the Ford.

/ ford 1700 #12  
Oddly enough, I was gonna give you the knuckle photo, but I took a minute to talk to John. I'll have to go get a digital camera to shoot the engine, which I should be able to do today. I have also scanned in the specs from my book, but I'm playing around with resolution - I don't like the way it comes out when printed at 75 dpi. I tried 200 dpi, but the thing thinks it's 11x17 when printed - even though it "says" 8.5x11 when I view it in my Adobe program.

Anyway, here's the knuckle. Mine's like the one you describe - like the old jeeps and early 4wd trucks.

Attachments

• 12-180790-1700knuckleright.JPG
    12-180790-1700knuckleright.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 320
   / ford 1700 #13  
BTW, my starter, alternator, and exhaust are on the left (right/left convention is sitting on tractor looking forward), and the injector pump is on the right. Does the tractor have ROPS? The previous owner added one, shipped from CA for $1000 including shipping. We've talked about that before, and if you search on it, and visit the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=buildit&Number=165749&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=rops%20for%20ford%201700&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=165749>ROPS for Ford 1700</A> thread, you'll find a picture of a homemade unit. I'll put the pic of my ROPS attachment on next for comparison.

/ ford 1700 #14  
Here's my ROPS attachment. Gotta go do errands, get camera, etc., so I'll see you either tonight or tomorrow - gotta move a pianny for some friends tonight and consume red meat afterwards.

Attachments

• 12-180804-ROPS@axle.JPG
    12-180804-ROPS@axle.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 370
   / ford 1700
Well, All in all, everthing sounds right. This unit has no rops, but then it is an early 80's model. I soppose an aftermarket grill assembly could have been used to 'refurbish' the unit, Si I guess it really is a ford 1700.

Soundguy

<font color=blue>Oddly enough, I was gonna give you the knuckle photo, but I took a minute to talk to John. I'll have to go get a digital camera to shoot the engine, which I should be able to do today. I have also scanned in the specs from my book, but I'm playing around with resolution - I don't like the way it comes out when printed at 75 dpi. I tried 200 dpi, but the thing thinks it's 11x17 when printed - even though it "says" 8.5x11 when I view it in my Adobe program.

Anyway, here's the knuckle. Mine's like the one you describe - like the old jeeps and early 4wd trucks.

/ ford 1700 #16  
Yes... that "L & S" is a relabeled KingKutter rotary cutter... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mark, you may want to check the torque on your "right" blade bolt/nut assy (as shown in your picture)... you shouldn't be able to move the blade in a vertical motion virtually any appreciable amount... (KK specifies ~~300 ft.lbs... on mine I always had them about 500-600 ft.lbs.)

/ ford 1700 #17  
Relabeled KingCutter? So I should look for KingCutter info? Does the "King" part have anything to do with that "little fishy" on the label? Hmmmmm?

You're saying this about the right bolt because it looks like the blades is kinda hanging down, ain't you? I had to go eagle-eye that photo, too. I'll check it, but it looks like it's just an illusion, upon further eagle-eyeing /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif.

Thanks for the info - you mention KingCutter a lot - do you like them? I also remembered he had an L&S rake, and I'm not sure the PHD was L&S, now that I think of it.

/ ford 1700 #18  
I dunno how to "verify" it as Ford...all I know is how mine looks. Could be that they were the same, and Ford had a bunch of them sent to the US. They could have done Fords, then Sheboooms (never can spell Shibaura right), or they could done them all at once, and sent some over in one direction to be labeled as Ford and have Egrish decals stuck on them.

Anyhoo, here's a few photos as you requested.

Attachments

• 12-181109-Leftengine.jpg
    12-181109-Leftengine.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 206
   / ford 1700 #19  
Bottom left

Attachments

• 12-181110-Leftenginebott.jpg
    12-181110-Leftenginebott.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 190
   / ford 1700 #20  
Right side - injector pump.