Ford 5000 vs 3000

/ Ford 5000 vs 3000 #1  

luckylegs

Tractor
None
Guys,

Hello all - Been lurking for awhile and decided to post. I recently sold my little 24hp Yanmar to upgrade to something bigger. Intended uses will be pasture clipping (5'-6' max size shredder) and moving round bales (5x6) of hay with a rear spear. I have been looking at older 2WD Fords 3000, 4000, etc and think they are adequate for my needs. Question I am looking at both a Ford 3000 and 5000, both of comparable condition and both with a shredder. The 3000 no P/S, 5000 with P/S. Both geared 8 speed I think - no SOS. I can get either for roughly the same price plus/minus a few hundred (approx $4500).
I am just concerned that the 5000 will be a little (dare I say it) too big. It is a substantially heavier and larger frame and way more tractor than the 3000, but if the 3000 can lift 1500# round bales no problem, it would be more maneuverable in tight spaces and easier to trailer. Anything maintenance wise or parts wise that would steer me towards one over the other. I know you cannot have too big a tractor, but for what I am doing, I think both fit the bill. I am likely over thinking this but don't want to regret it later.

Thanks

/ Ford 5000 vs 3000 #2  
Guys,

Hello all - Been lurking for awhile and decided to post. I recently sold my little 24hp Yanmar to upgrade to something bigger. Intended uses will be pasture clipping (5'-6' max size shredder) and moving round bales (5x6) of hay with a rear spear. I have been looking at older 2WD Fords 3000, 4000, etc and think they are adequate for my needs. Question I am looking at both a Ford 3000 and 5000, both of comparable condition and both with a shredder. The 3000 no P/S, 5000 with P/S. Both geared 8 speed I think - no SOS. I can get either for roughly the same price plus/minus a few hundred (approx $4500).
I am just concerned that the 5000 will be a little (dare I say it) too big. It is a substantially heavier and larger frame and way more tractor than the 3000, but if the 3000 can lift 1500# round bales no problem, it would be more maneuverable in tight spaces and easier to trailer. Anything maintenance wise or parts wise that would steer me towards one over the other. I know you cannot have too big a tractor, but for what I am doing, I think both fit the bill. I am likely over thinking this but don't want to regret it later.

Thanks
Welcome, where are you in south la? I have operated both and honsestly, I would go with the 5000. It is always better to have more power than you need than not enough. I used a 5000 to move round bales and feed trailers on a cattle farm and I used a 3000 w/ a 6ft cutter to keep the same farm clipped around the fences and on the woodline. My only beef with the 5000 is it really seemed ineffecient in the fuel dept. I was clipping a pasture with a 7ft bushhog for about 2.5 hours and almost burned up a full tank of fuel. I was running on fumes when I put it up. Now, if size is really an important factor, the 3000 is much smaller but will struggle a little more with your round bales.

/ Ford 5000 vs 3000
Hey,

I am Franklinton - roughly hour and 15min North of New Orleans. I will be using it primarily for feeding round bales to cattle.

/ Ford 5000 vs 3000 #4  
Hey,

I am Franklinton - roughly hour and 15min North of New Orleans. I will be using it primarily for feeding round bales to cattle.

My parents live in covington, i'm in norwood, 55 miles north of baton rouge. The 3000 will probably suit you, but it will be a breeze with the 5000.

/ Ford 5000 vs 3000 #5  
With no PS on the 3000, you'll definitely get a workout steering with 1500# bales on the front loader.

/ Ford 5000 vs 3000 #6  
I own a 68 3000, diesel, 8spd, no ps, and a 75 5000 diesel, 8spd, ps.

both will run a 6' mower no problem.. in fact.. the 5000 will run a 10' mower no problem.

1500# bales? that's getting big for that light duty front axle the 3000 has.. while the real will lift it on a spear.. you will DEFFINATELY need alot of front ballast... also.. 1500# onthe front loader with no ps will be miserable. I move 1000# bales on an 850.. similar size and hp as a 3000 and it's all I really want to do.. in fact.. it's not ideal at all.. but works for the 15 bales I feed out per year. 4500$ for a good 3000 is about the going rate. gas or diesel are available 158 gas or 175ci diesel. I prefer the diesel on these as well.. though a gasser with a good working holley carb will be quite fuel efficient.. on the pother hand if the holley carb is bad.. it is sometimes easier to repalce with a lewss fuel efficient zenith carb vs rebuilding the slightly finicky holley.

The 5000 on the other hand has a much heavier duty front axle more suited to loader work, and the weight will be no issue for a 5000 front or rear.. heck.. could use a spear and a loader and carry 2 bales... 1 front, 1 rear. if the 5000 is a diesel.. i'd go for it. besides, 4500$ for a good 5000 is a real deal.. 5000 go in the 5000-6000$ range easilly.. it's alot of tractor. can be had in a gasser ( slightly hungry ).. and a diesel.. either 233 or 256ci. the 256ci is about 70engine and 67 at the pto.. off the top of my head don't know what the 233 is.. it's a tad less. 233 has screw in core plugs.. 256 has the press fit ones. diesel is preferable... make sur ehte power steering works good.. early ps units are a lil spendy to repair.

As I said.. I have both and use both.. ask if you got any specific questions...

soundguy

/ Ford 5000 vs 3000
Thanks for the comments, no FEL, moving bales on rear only and likely max of 40 bales a year. I am gonna go check out both - also looking at a JD 1020, which I believe is similiar in hp to 3000, but a good bit heavier.

/ Ford 5000 vs 3000 #8  
I've got a 74 Ford 3000. Great tractor. My father in law bought it new in 74. It is strong and I have no complaints about it. I have moved round bales with a rear spear before, but it isn't something I would want to do regularly with this tractor. When I have used it, it was because our Ford NH 7740 was out of service at the time. Mine has powere steering also and it is worth it's weight in gold.

I'd go with the 5000 if I were you.