Price Check TC40 on E-Bay?

/ TC40 on E-Bay? #1  

BBJ

Tractor
NH TC40S
Hi. I'm a potential NH owner and need some advice. I have 10 acres in upstate NY and need a tractor mostly for cutting grass and clearing snow. I will be moving up there full time soon, so I will also be doing some landscaping and tree cutting.

I just saw a tractor on E-bay and because the location is close, I thought I would bid on it.

TC40, 1049 hours, 4WD, manual Transmission, 72" front bucket, NH 758C backhoe w/stabilizers. (Pictures look clean, but bucket does not look like New Holland)

Is $18,800 a good price?

Sorry to just barge into this site, but auction is almost over. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / TC40 on E-Bay? #2  
If the tractor is well maintained, that could be a reasonable price but not a steal. A TC40 is plenty big for ten acres. Depending on your lawn type, it may be too big and heavy for cutting grass in a manicured-type lawn.

You guys are brave buying used tractors off e-bay :)
Dave.

/ TC40 on E-Bay? #3  
I bought mine about two years ago for pretty much that exact price.....came with a 7 or 8' scraper blade, backhoe, the tractor it's self had quite a few extras; R4 tires, already loaded, two rear remotes, grille guard.......other things i've forgotten.....mine had 276 hours on it....18,800 is what i paid.....

tc's are good tractors...there's a bunch out there and there is a lot of support here for them...

edit: when i was looking for mine, just the tractor and the loader was selling for about 18-19k......i knew i wanted a backhoe and would never pay/afford to buy just the backhoe....so i wanted a package deal.....and, my budget was about 20k......i couldn't find all three for less than about 22k at the time....so i pretty much told my wife i was tired of looking and gave up that night.......got on craigslist the next morning and there it was for 19k.....got him down $200 to help with my fuel cost.....he was 5 hours away....

/ TC40 on E-Bay? #4  
TC40, 1049 hours, 4WD, manual Transmission, 72" front bucket, NH 758C backhoe w/stabilizers. (Pictures look clean, but bucket does not look like New Holland)

Is $18,800 a good price?

With 1049 hours, $18.8k is high, especially if you don't know if the loader is New Holland. Unless the tractor is pristine, it's worth between $16k and $17k. I think the $18.8k is about $2k high.

/ TC40 on E-Bay?
Thank you all for the quick response!
I had been looking at new / used for just a short time. I saw this tractor on E-bay and on impulse, I bid only because the location was local. I didn't expect to ever win the bid but guess what, I did!
I kind of regret it now, but not fair to the seller to back out.

When I found this site, I thought it was one of the better ones. I hope to hear more from all of you. Thanks!

/ TC40 on E-Bay? #6  
ah, don't beat yourself up......it's one of those things....i just looked on craigslist and with the backhoe that still seems about right......not a good deal, not a rip off......as long as it's pretty nice.....

you may have searched for 6 months to find a better deal, bought one and then found one cheaper the next day......just the way it works, seems like...

besides, if you have things to do with it, you'll get started sooner!:thumbsup:

edit: i just saw the one you bought.....from outward appearances, it looks to be in clean, well taken care of shape......

being that it's close, you can still take a look at it...if something doesn't seem right, you can pass.....on that kind of money, so what if you get negative feedback......and/or if you just don't like the deal, offer him his listing fees........but, like i said, over-all it looks pretty nice.....

/ TC40 on E-Bay? #7  
Thank you all for the quick response!
I had been looking at new / used for just a short time. I saw this tractor on E-bay and on impulse, I bid only because the location was local. I didn't expect to ever win the bid but guess what, I did!
I kind of regret it now, but not fair to the seller to back out.

When I found this site, I thought it was one of the better ones. I hope to hear more from all of you. Thanks!

Don't know how ebay equipment sales work, I assume the tractor has to be as represented before you hand over the cash.

Give it real good looking over for tightness and condition, test drive it using everything on it, take someone along familiar with Boomers maybe.

If it is clean and well cared for, and not beat up, I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of it.
Dave.

/ TC40 on E-Bay? #8  
Don't believe in buying a " pig in a poke" and yet to buy anything major from "flee bay". If it is close by and I can go touch and kick the tires then I give it a shot after giving it a thorough once-over.

JC,

/ TC40 on E-Bay?
ah, don't beat yourself up......it's one of those things....i just looked on craigslist and with the backhoe that still seems about right......not a good deal, not a rip off......as long as it's pretty nice.....

you may have searched for 6 months to find a better deal, bought one and then found one cheaper the next day......just the way it works, seems like...

besides, if you have things to do with it, you'll get started sooner!:thumbsup:

edit: i just saw the one you bought.....from outward appearances, it looks to be in clean, well taken care of shape......

being that it's close, you can still take a look at it...if something doesn't seem right, you can pass.....on that kind of money, so what if you get negative feedback......and/or if you just don't like the deal, offer him his listing fees........but, like i said, over-all it looks pretty nice.....

All good advice from everyone. I e-mailed the seller, and because of the Easter Holiday, I won't be able to see the tractor until next week. He had no problem with that.
I agree with you on the negative feedback. I will check it over thoroughly before handing over any cash!!

/ TC40 on E-Bay? #10  
All good advice from everyone. I e-mailed the seller, and because of the Easter Holiday, I won't be able to see the tractor until next week. He had no problem with that.
I agree with you on the negative feedback. I will check it over thoroughly before handing over any cash!!

Don't 2nd guess yourself too much. My rationale for saying the tractor was overpriced is that you indicated the loader might not be NH and you didn't say what year the tractor was, so I assumed it was an older TC40 because of the hours. It also seemed like it would be about right for a rental yard to be selling after about 5 years of use. Even if that's the case, the hours are not all that significant and you can inspect it to be sure it is in good shape. Your deal is far from bad. It might be a little on the high side, but I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it. Congratulations on your buy.:)

Oh yes! I'll excuse you for "barging in" if you'll excuse me for not saying, "Welcome to TBN!":D