Ford 540 Industrial, Knowledge Needed!!!!

/ Ford 540 Industrial, Knowledge Needed!!!! #1  

Millsonwheels

Bronze Member
Hello,
My dad just bought a ford 540 industrial tractor at the local college auction and upon getting it home we found that the hydraulics do not want to raise, we think this might have something to do with this peculiar looking aluminum plate sandwiched in between the two factory pieces. it also appears that someone has robbed the remotes of the back, would that be the reason for the this plate?

pictures of how it is supposed to be setup would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Mills

Attachments

• P4110268.jpg
    P4110268.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,297
  • P4110272.jpg
    P4110272.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 3,230
  • P4110273.jpg
    P4110273.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 599
  • P4110274.jpg
    P4110274.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 987
   / Ford 540 Industrial, Knowledge Needed!!!! #2  
Hello,
My dad just bought a ford 540 industrial tractor at the local college auction and upon getting it home we found that the hydraulics do not want to raise, we think this might have something to do with this peculiar looking aluminum plate sandwiched in between the two factory pieces. it also appears that someone has robbed the remotes of the back, would that be the reason for the this plate?

pictures of how it is supposed to be setup would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Mills

The photos show a tapping manifold (the aluminum plate) installed on your tractor. It is used as a place to tap pressure oil flow for a power beyond style generic spool valve, and provide a port for the return Power Beyond flow to feed the 3PT hitch and any factory style remote valve, which you don't have, but could bolt directly on top of the tapping manifold instead of the blue accessory plate. Currently, you have no flow to the 3PT control valve due to the plugs in the tapping manifold. Either remove the tapping manifold and replace the accessory cover directly on the hitch cover with shorter bolts, or remove the plugs from the tapping manifold and loop a short hydraulic hose (rated for 2500psi minimum) between the ports. You need to do either one or the other of these modifications immediately, as right now 100% of your hydraulic pump flow is passing over the relief valve, stressing your pump and heating the oil needlessly. Not a good thing at all.

/ Ford 540 Industrial, Knowledge Needed!!!! #3  
the pump is most likely shot by now if yall ran it with the plugs in that aluimiun plate that is a manifiol to run a loader are a control valve remotes, if the pump is not messed up all u need to do is remove that plate are take the to plugs out of it and built a hose to go from one into the other that plate was to send oil to a loader or control valve for remotes first then return to the other whole and which that supplied the oil to the lift top with them plugged off all u are doing is dead heading the oil pump

/ Ford 540 Industrial, Knowledge Needed!!!! #4  
I have a similar question about a ford 860 im about to buy it has a similar pressure tap under the seat. Does it need the same coupling hose your talking about or will it run without harm to the pump the way it sits capped?
IMG_8677_resized.jpg

/ Ford 540 Industrial, Knowledge Needed!!!! #5  
I have a similar question about a ford 860 im about to buy it has a similar pressure tap under the seat. Does it need the same coupling hose your talking about or will it run without harm to the pump the way it sits capped?
IMG_8677_resized.jpg

I think you are good to go on this one as is.

We did not have this valve and to run the cylinder to lift the header on the AC-72 pull type combine we tapped into the large top hole like pictured above and removed the lower lift arms and strapped them down to force the by passing fluid into the header lift cylinder.

If we had of had a set up like yours it would have been simple instead of the hack system we used. It looks like all you need to do is add the hoses and quick connect and you are ready.

/ Ford 540 Industrial, Knowledge Needed!!!! #6  
no u dont need to change nothing on the tractor he had a hyd manifold under neath that valve that deverts the oil to a loader or a hyd control valve on a set of remotes

/ Ford 540 Industrial, Knowledge Needed!!!! #7  
RickB, knows a lot about these tractors. On my 540 the lines out of the tapping plate runs to the FEL. I thought all of Fords industrial tractors were painted yellow. Curious to know how this worked out for you.

/ Ford 540 Industrial, Knowledge Needed!!!! #8  
I think you are good to go on this one as is.

We did not have this valve and to run the cylinder to lift the header on the AC-72 pull type combine we tapped into the large top hole like pictured above and removed the lower lift arms and strapped them down to force the by passing fluid into the header lift cylinder.

If we had of had a set up like yours it would have been simple instead of the hack system we used. It looks like all you need to do is add the hoses and quick connect and you are ready.

i would just remove the plate you hav on it and install the correct cover that bolts on and do away with all the extra head aches