Going to look at a Ford 5000

/ Going to look at a Ford 5000 #1  

sataylor

I am going on Sat to look at a few tractors. The one I am most interested in is a Ford 5000 with FEL. From the photos the tractor has been recently painted and looks to be in good shape. Anything specific I should look for other then starting it when cold and hot, running the hydralics through the full range of motion and checking for leaks? This will be our first real tractor(own a lawn tractor), it will be used primarly for maintaining a gravel driveway, gardening(2000 sq ft of vegetables), some firewood transportation and basic yard work. Likely will put a box blade on it, maybe a scraper, snow blower and tiller in the future.

Thanks

/ Going to look at a Ford 5000 #2  
check the steering cylinder in the front end and check the front axle for wear since it has a front in loader that could be come a major problem

/ Going to look at a Ford 5000 #3  
Not to discourage you, but that seems like a bit more tractor than you really need. I only mention it to perhaps save you some money. I could be completely wrong, but it sounds like you could get by with something in the 30 hp range.

/ Going to look at a Ford 5000
I do know that it is a bit big, Soundguy had suggested a Ford 3000 in another thread but I have not found anything smaller that is in good shape. They are only asking $5000, and the smaller tractor's have been atleast that price.

What would I be looking for with respect to wear on the front axle?

/ Going to look at a Ford 5000 #5  
A FORD 5000 WITH A LOADER FOR $5000 I WOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT HOW BAD OFF IT IS THAT IS REAL CHEAP FOR THAT TRACTOR

That is why I figured I could not pass up seeing it. I have attached a photo, maybe you can see something I can't.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 464
   / Going to look at a Ford 5000 #7  
Not alot to work with there. Looks like the drawbar has been broke at some point and welded/patched maybe? Check the front end close...use the loader to lift the front wheels off the ground and get off to see how much play in the steering. let the weight back down and note how much play there is between the top of the axle knee and the steering arm. Check to see that the power steering is actually working, I looked at one recently that there was something wrong and it was armstrong all the way. Hold the brakes while letting the clutch out and test the clutch some, see that the brakes work alot of the obvious stuff like that. It may be a bit bigger than you need, and will use a little more fuel, but probably not talking about 8hrs day/6day week operation here either. More is and advantage when using a loader or moving snow it seems...

The other 2 pictures I was able to get. Probably not the most helpful as they are not real close.

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 481
  • untitled3.JPG
    untitled3.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,134
   / Going to look at a Ford 5000 #9  
hopefully it's an 8spd and not an sos.

make sure the pto operates under load.. as to hitch it to a mower or something.

I'd be less worried about a loader on a 5000 vs a 3000. the front end on the 5000 is much heavier duty of design that the radious rod setup the 3000 uses.

still.. steering components onthe early 5000 are $harder$ to come by.

make sure she starts good cold.. should have a big beefy 4dlt battery.. unit originally came with a gen.. make sure it charges.. or alloy for 140$ to rebuild the lucas gen and repalce the vreg. make sure dash oil lamp works.. that's an important one.

good tractor.. I love my 5000. late ones are 70eng and 67 pto and are 256ci
the early ones are 233ci.

soundguy

/ Going to look at a Ford 5000 #10  
yea the steering cylinder on the early 5000's are hard to come by thats why i say check it and check the bolster to make sure it aint cracked not that it aint heavy built but its just the age factor