Ford 2020

/ Ford 2020 #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I see a ford 2020 4WD listed locally for $4000. The pictures look clean and with new paint and decals. TractorData doesn't list a 2020, only a 1920 and 2120. The owner says he "thinks" it about a 43 HP tractor, but he must be stating engine HP. I guess it's a Shabura? Any feedback on it on rated power, weight, known problems, parts availability, and of course a price range?

As always, thanks for any advice on it.

Gene

/ Ford 2020 #2  
If you had posted photos here, many of us could help. It could be a 1920, 2120 or 2110. Or something entirely different.

/ Ford 2020
The link to the item is gone from Craigslist, I guess it was a good deal.

Thanks anway

/ Ford 2020 #5  
Ford or New Holland never marketed a compact tractor model 2020. At best it is a 1900 or 1700 with an aftermarker power steering setup. At worst it is a grey market Shibaura. Whatever it is, it is no less than 27 years old, and parts availability for many items will be between difficult and impossible, costing somewhere between lots, and lots more. Not something I'd recommend to anyone that I wanted to stay on the good side of.

/ Ford 2020 #6  
I guess I overlooked it. It's still there. See if this link works

july 2010 :: fordd.jpg picture by pbusby - Photobucket

from the looks of it on the left side it is a 1700. Seems on the outside to be in good shape. I will not give it up so quickly but I won't rush to buy it either. very close inspection and the asking price would be driving force for my decision. if you buy it cheap enough, parting it out will bring you all the money back and probably some more. I have the same vintage tractor for the last 6 years. I have done hyd pump, lift system overhaul under $90. I have changed all fluid, battery and all other consumable under $200. I know that I have not put more than $350 in it in the last 5-6 years and had no issue with parts. I'm sure the story would have been different if I had major engine issue and if the tractor was neglected. If you are a do it yourself-er and mechanically inclined then you'll find it easy to maintain. Why the heck decal says 2020? inspect it and let us know what you'll find out.

JC,

/ Ford 2020
RickB, I called the guy and asked about the data plate, he said it was in Japanese. He says it has a 4 cylinder engine in it. He estimated it at about a 2500# tractor. That makes it a gray market and hard to get parts for? Stay away from it? Would the 1700-1900 Ford tractors have had a Japanese data plate? Thanks, Gene

/ Ford 2020 #8  
Here are all the pics.

ford220.jpg

ford220_3.jpg

ford220_2.jpg

This is what is in the advertisement:

"Ford 2020 4WD Tractor

4 cylinder diesel, recently overhauled.

Power steering.

4 speed PTO.

Runs great.

Tires have lots of tread left on them but are dry rotted and cracking.

Has new paint.

I believe this is around a 43hp tractor.

Just the tractor is for sale, the finishing mower doesn't go with it.

I want $3950.00 FIRM for this tractor. "

The 2020 seems fishy to me, but here is some good info (link below) on grey market tractors such as this one.

The Small Tractor FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

According to tractordata.com<TractorData.com Ford 2110 tractor information>, the Ford 2110 is listed with Ford as the distributor for these smaller tractors, but Shibaura is listed as the manufacturer. This is true for models 1700-2120 that I checked. Were any of these made in America? Looks like Ford outsourced their work/designs in order to save a buck.

/ Ford 2020
Thanks for the links Carpenter, but the sheet metal on the XX10 and XX20 models are different from this one. When I talked to him he said he couldn't find much on it and he knows it's a Shibaura. He said it's not his and he is selling it for someone. The ad sounds deceptive to me.

/ Ford 2020 #10  
Deceptive description, for sure. I'd have liked to seen it before fixed up, to see what needed fixing. Listen to Rick.
Jim