Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question #1  

frankmako

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 4610, Ford 3910 and YM1601D
Today I looked at a used Ford 5610 that was a trade in at the local New Holland dealer. The tractor has 2,220 hours on the clock. The dealer stated it is a one owner. It has a back yard paint job, but the sheet metal is good. It started right up and all things worked. Black smoke came out when you gave it fuel, but then it would go away after the rpm痴 set in. I pulled the dip stick out and it blew oil out the dip stick hole. It did this at low idle. So much oil came out it made large oil spots on the ground in less than a minute. Gave it more fuel and more oil came out. Also the clutch does not engage until it is almost all the way to the top, about one inch from the top. The salesman had a mechanic to come out and readjust the clutch and to check the blow by. The mechanic worked on the clutch for a few minutes. But I could not tell any different when I re-drove the tractor. The mechanic stated the clutch works/engages at the top on the 5610痴 and the oil coming out of the dip stick hole was normal. Now I have looked at several other 5610痴 and they did not blow oil out of the drip stick hole. I have looked at some 4610痴 and they did not blow oil out. My 3910 does not blow oil. So what is the truth? Is this normal on the 5610 to have oil blowing out of the dip stick hole when running? And what about the clutch, does the clutch have to be all the way out on the tractor to engage the drive. The dealer wanted $10,500.00 for the tractor, but came down to $9,950.00 after I pointed out my concerns.

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question #2  
blow by is very common when the rings are broke because no oil should come out of the dipstick unless over full of oil are a ring is broke and the clutch should be the least of your worries because on all tractor the clutches could grab at different places

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question #3  
Today I looked at a used Ford 5610 that was a trade in at the local New Holland dealer. The tractor has 2,220 hours on the clock. The dealer stated it is a one owner. It has a back yard paint job, but the sheet metal is good. It started right up and all things worked. Black smoke came out when you gave it fuel, but then it would go away after the rpmç—´ set in. I pulled the dip stick out and it blew oil out the dip stick hole. It did this at low idle. So much oil came out it made large oil spots on the ground in less than a minute. Gave it more fuel and more oil came out. Also the clutch does not engage until it is almost all the way to the top, about one inch from the top. The salesman had a mechanic to come out and readjust the clutch and to check the blow by. The mechanic worked on the clutch for a few minutes. But I could not tell any different when I re-drove the tractor. The mechanic stated the clutch works/engages at the top on the 5610ç—´ and the oil coming out of the dip stick hole was normal. Now I have looked at several other 5610ç—´ and they did not blow oil out of the drip stick hole. I have looked at some 4610ç—´ and they did not blow oil out. My 3910 does not blow oil. So what is the truth? Is this normal on the 5610 to have oil blowing out of the dip stick hole when running? And what about the clutch, does the clutch have to be all the way out on the tractor to engage the drive. The dealer wanted $10,500.00 for the tractor, but came down to $9,950.00 after I pointed out my concerns.

you are right to be supicious of this machine. Blowby that causes oil to blow out of the dip stick hole is only normal for worn compression rings or a damaged piston (cracked or burned piston crown). If you buy that tractor, be prepared to do some major engine work on it.

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question #4  
You will have to rebuild it. Compression is getting in your crank case. Won't happen unless one of the two things listed above is happening 1 broke rings, 2 worn out sleeves or piston rings.

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question #5  
It is quite obvious that this engine needs a complete overhaul. There is a slight chance that simply a set of rings could fix it, but that's not likely and would be a big gamble.

Find out what they would charge for a COMPLETE overhaul including liners, pistons, rings, bearings, possibly crankshaft turning and a valve job. Wouldn't hurt to get a price from a different shop for the same work to make sure they don't mess with you. With the overhaul price in hand and being prepared to do it, then hammer them down at least that much on the price before even considering purchasing that tractor.

My $0.02,

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question #6  
that tractor doesn't have liners so if there is a busted piston depending on how bad it scared the cyl. u will have to have it bored out and if it is real bad then u will have to have it bored and sleeved u are looking at about 3000 to 4500 dollars to fix it right and i doubt u will beable to talk them down that much but if its just rings u could probaly get it done for about 1500

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question
Yes, i knew something was wrong when I pulled the dip stick. Never seen this in my other Ford tractors or 5610's that I been looking at. But the big thing is that the saleman and head mechanic stood there with a stright face and said that all 5610's blew oil out of the dip stick hole and there was nothing wrong with the motor. So that 5610 is a no go and that dealer is too.

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question #8  
Would bad rings or pistons cause the oil level to rise? Our 5610 is blowing oil out the dip stick hole and it looks like fuel is mixing in with the oil. The oil is almost to the top of the dipstick. We are first going to look and the injector pump and hope that is the problem..

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question #9  
Would bad rings or pistons cause the oil level to rise? Our 5610 is blowing oil out the dip stick hole and it looks like fuel is mixing in with the oil. The oil is almost to the top of the dipstick. We are first going to look and the injector pump and hope that is the problem..

yes but most likely will be the front seal in the injection pump

/ Ford 5610 For Sale and Oil Blow By Question #10  
If you can buy it right, knowing you got some serious work and expense ahead of you that's ok. But I would not trust any mechanic and/or dealer that said that much blow by was normal to do any work on it at all...