Ford 7740

/ Ford 7740 #1  

Heavyduty

Gold Member
Anybody have a Ford 7740? Has it been reliable? Any thing to look out for when buying one? Thanks

/ Ford 7740 #2  
our county had a fleet of them and 7610s to do roadside maint. good strong looking tractors. I liked the 7610s so much I eventually got one back in 02 or so.

soundguy

/ Ford 7740 #3  
I had a 1993 7740SLE so I don't know if any changes made to whatever model you are looking at. I had a lot of problems when new with the PTO feathering in power like it was suppose to. After several trips to shop I just learned to manually feather it since Ford couldn't fix it.
My second and major problem was the drawbar connection to the tractor. The framework underneath the transmission that held the drawbar on was only connected to the tractor with 4 bolts, all from under the trans. I had the whole assembly fall off the tractor, dropping my baler on the ground. After redrilling and tapping and putting in larger bolts, it eventually come apart again. I finally took the assembly off and welded vertical straps to it and bolted them on thru existing bolt holes by the PTO shaft. This finally fixed it. Now all of this may not be applicable to what you are looking at if it is a later model and these problems were corrected.