Buying Advice Thoughts on a Ford 3910 vs MF 135

/ Thoughts on a Ford 3910 vs MF 135 #1  

Jeep Guy

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135; John Deere Lawn Tractor LA 145
Hi

Have had a Ford 8N and 9N tractor but no MF and not familiar with the 3910 other than I think that it pretty much has the same front end as the older N series tractors had. Have attached a couple of photos of one for sale that I might consider, wondering if someone would have some thoughts as to which tractor they felt would be better for a small rural property, light to medium duty and in Canada so there will be snow removal as well and why? Both are 3 cylinder diesel motors think that the 3910 is 50 hp the MF 135 is about 40. Parts are easy to find for the MF but maybe the 3910 might not be the same??? Any information or advice would be great to hear.

Attachments

• ford 3910_1.pdf
    81.2 KB · Views: 432
  • Ford 3910_2.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 333
  • Ford 3910_3.pdf
    83.5 KB · Views: 316
   / Thoughts on a Ford 3910 vs MF 135 #2  
Hi

Have had a Ford 8N and 9N tractor but no MF and not familiar with the 3910 other than I think that it pretty much has the same front end as the older N series tractors had. Have attached a couple of photos of one for sale that I might consider, wondering if someone would have some thoughts as to which tractor they felt would be better for a small rural property, light to medium duty and in Canada so there will be snow removal as well and why? Both are 3 cylinder diesel motors think that the 3910 is 50 hp the MF 135 is about 40. Parts are easy to find for the MF but maybe the 3910 might not be the same??? Any information or advice would be great to hear.

Not knowing exactly what you want to use the tractor for, or the type of soil conitions on your place, I'll confine my comments to the tractors themselves.
I think the 10 series Ford's are at least one generation above the MF 135 (which is a fine tractor in its own right) but both would work for small farm or estate use. I believe it's a bit heavier than the MF135 but thats' a guess on my part.

Finding parts for it through New Holland Dealers or online doesn not generally prove difficult for my Ford 4610 and I doubt that it would for the 3910. The 10 Series Fords have a pretty bullet proof reputation for ruggedness and reliability and they are easy to work on.

All things being equal, the 3910 would be my choice.

Having said that, I've never seen chains use for lift arms before! That makes me somewaht leery of this machine. Have you started and checked out this tractor? If itstarts easy, performs well and has a good clutch(s)( I believe it has a live pto), the pto works, and doesn't make noise in gear and the three point lifts and holds a good sized implement, I'd find out what the lift arms cost and deduct it from what you offer the seller. I'd replace those chains! I didn't notice if it had remote hydraulics. If they don't have remote hydraulics, that would be a negative, in my opinion.

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on a Ford 3910 vs MF 135 #3  
Generally speaking, If all things are equal, I would rather have the 3910 as it is newer and should have less hours. Ken Sweet

/ Thoughts on a Ford 3910 vs MF 135 #4  
As Jerry/MT mentioned, those chains to the lift arms instead of the standard rigid arms is VERY strange. That would allow the lift arms to move completely independent of each other. I don't know what application that would be good for, but I would think it would allow a rear implement like a boxblade or rotary cutter to twist much more than with the rigid arms. It is standard on Fords and New Hollands to have a handcrank level adjustment on the right rigid arm for implement tilt adjustments, but these chains would have to be shortened on one side to provide a similar adjustment. I would tell the seller that you will have to spend $500 to $700 on the proper lift arms to put the tractor back into standard configuration.

Jerry also mentioned remotes. I think I see a single remote hydraulic adapter ( two quick connects) in your last photo. That's a big plus for this tractor.

As everyone has mentioned, the 3910 is a level above the MF135 in power. I think either would be great choices, but my choice would be the 3910.

/ Thoughts on a Ford 3910 vs MF 135 #5  
I grew up on a MF 135 and my dad still has it. I bought a 3910 and of these two tractors they often use the same implements, often work them together (dad on one and I on the other) and while both are good tractors I would not get the 135 over the 3910. The 3910 has more power, better steering, longer wheelbase (or at least feels like it) so it rides a bit smoother, parts are not hard to find at all for either tractor, and the 3910 is just built heavier.

However that is just y opinion and I kinda own both.

/ Thoughts on a Ford 3910 vs MF 135 #6  
The lift chains are installed with a flail mower. That way they can follow contours better.

/ Thoughts on a Ford 3910 vs MF 135
Thanks guys for all the input, sent an email a few days ago in response to the ad heard from the seller last night that it was already sold so didn't have a chance to even inspect it but some great info on this line of tractor and you never know if another one will come along, but thanks again for all the help

/ Thoughts on a Ford 3910 vs MF 135 #9  
i know it's late.. but I agree with the others. the 135 is a fine piece of equipment.. but that 3910 is to.. and would be newer. keep your sights set on something like that. if you want a beefier front end ( like for a loader. ).. hit a 4xxx non SU model..

soundguy