New PowerStar Line?

/ New PowerStar Line? #93  
I think the argument could be made that children are MUCH safer in a safety seat in a tractor than they are strapped into a booster seat in the back of the family sedan. I do, however, have concerns of leaving a child in a cab while the operator is out working on an implement or something relating to the PTO or lift where a child could inadvertently pull a lever or push a button. I question that in the same way as leaving a child in a safety seat inside the car while I am outside changing a tire or doing some other check. I'm pretty sure turning off the tractor and the environmental system would also make the cab unbearably hot in a short time. I think you have to consider that children are exposed to all kinds of dangers on a daily basis whether they are riding inside a school bus (with or without seat belts) or crawling around on the floor in the family home. We all know horror stories of back yard pools and young children as well as parents who forget and leave children in closed vehicles. I would hope that jmwilson would be the watchful parent and also take his child's and his own safety into consideration while operating his tractor. After all, if he gets hurt, then you have a child stranded in a horrible situation with an injured adult who can do nothing to help (same as in many car accidents). I don't think we can fault Mike for wanting to take his child with him, but if he sees a specific danger in a particular situation, he should take it on himself to build in a safety or modify his tractor to make it safe. I just don't think we should get to the point where tractor manufacturers are having to put child safety features on tractors. Just my opinion for what it's worth. :)

/ New PowerStar Line? #94  
I think the argument could be made that children are MUCH safer in a safety seat in a tractor than they are strapped into a booster seat in the back of the family sedan. I do, however, have concerns of leaving a child in a cab while the operator is out working on an implement or something relating to the PTO or lift where a child could inadvertently pull a lever or push a button. I question that in the same way as leaving a child in a safety seat inside the car while I am outside changing a tire or doing some other check. I'm pretty sure turning off the tractor and the environmental system would also make the cab unbearably hot in a short time. I think you have to consider that children are exposed to all kinds of dangers on a daily basis whether they are riding inside a school bus (with or without seat belts) or crawling around on the floor in the family home. We all know horror stories of back yard pools and young children as well as parents who forget and leave children in closed vehicles. I would hope that jmwilson would be the watchful parent and also take his child's and his own safety into consideration while operating his tractor. After all, if he gets hurt, then you have a child stranded in a horrible situation with an injured adult who can do nothing to help (same as in many car accidents). I don't think we can fault Mike for wanting to take his child with him, but if he sees a specific danger in a particular situation, he should take it on himself to build in a safety or modify his tractor to make it safe. I just don't think we should get to the point where tractor manufacturers are having to put child safety features on tractors. Just my opinion for what it's worth. :)

I think New Holland has a good idea with the safety switch on the PTO engagement lever.
My kids are 28 and 30 years old, and they have never been on a tractor with me. So far, I have one grandkid, and he will never be on a tractor with me.
I think the new PowerStar was built with input from the American farmer, so is that why the small side seat is there?
I am against any small kid or kids being on or near a tractor while it is working.

ETA

If you misunderstood my comment in post #92 jinman, I apologize.

Mike

Last edited:
   / New PowerStar Line? #95  
If you misunderstood my comment in post #92 jinman, I apologize.

Mike

Yes, yes I did. I had you confused with the post by I have no memory. In my case, my name should be "I have my senior moments.":eek::laughing:

/ New PowerStar Line? #96  
I think we all have our senior moments jinman. I know I have my share of em.

I really like the New Holland T4.75 tractors. I am sure the first ones to come in will be with the cab option. I may just get a T4030. I don't know yet.

/ New PowerStar Line? #97  
Not to get involved in the buddy seat discussion, but the pto lever on the left behind the buddy seat selects between 540 and 540e speeds. On the right with the rest of the levers is the actual pto on/off.
I was seriously considering a T4.100 and spent some time looking over a couple T4.75 at a farm show. The cabs were for the most part very impressive, with the biggest issue in my mind being the loader joystick makes it really hard to use the right hand door. However, they also has a TS6030 on display with a cab, with the cab being a new option to the TS series. That fit my needs better, so next January they will be building my new TS6020. can't wait!

/ New PowerStar Line? #99  
Not to get involved in the buddy seat discussion, but the pto lever on the left behind the buddy seat selects between 540 and 540e speeds. On the right with the rest of the levers is the actual pto on/off.
I was seriously considering a T4.100 and spent some time looking over a couple T4.75 at a farm show. The cabs were for the most part very impressive, with the biggest issue in my mind being the loader joystick makes it really hard to use the right hand door. However, they also has a TS6030 on display with a cab, with the cab being a new option to the TS series. That fit my needs better, so next January they will be building my new TS6020. can't wait!

Thanks for clearing the PTO operation up lfc. Good luck with your new tractor.

Mike

/ New PowerStar Line? #100  

Thanks for clearing that up and that seems fine to me. I don't understand German.

I think it's great to have this buddy seat discussion and I hope that it helps someone someday down the road rethink what their about to do by putting their kid in the tractor. IMO if you have them buckled in the safety seat and the transmission disengaged, (however that works in your tractor), then it is safe. Now, my kid hasn't figured out how to unbuckle himself yet so when he's buckled in the seat he cannot get out. Also, the only two levers he can reach are the reverser, (nullified by disengaging transmission), and the directional flashers/lights switch. When my kid can get unbuckled then I have to do something different because I'm sure he'll figure that out before he figures out how to be safe.

I agree that unless you have the above criteria then that kid should not be on a tractor. He is much safer in my tractor buckled into his buddy seat than he is anywhere else, (on my farm), including being with mom when I'm running the tractor. I know where he is at all times and the worst thing he can do is turn on the lights. When he is out of the tractor and I'm running he finds a way to be around dangerous stuff. If you don't understand that you don't have an almost three year old boy. Ask yourself how many times to you look back at your implement while driving? If you do it once your kid could be under the tire. I don't know how many times I've looked back instinctively and then looked to where I saw my son playing in the sand box or on the swing and didn't see him and wondered if I ran over him.

If you think he should be with his mom while your working outside then read septic story. We have three kids and it is extremely difficult to keep an eye on them all the time. And, it often happens when two or more people are involved you always think it's the other person watching them. And yes we've had the discussion that when I'm running equipment outside you keep an eye on the kids. It still happens and it's not her fault. I had a dog that use to wait until you turned your back and then he'd take off and your kids can do the same thing. Or you think their in their room playing and their outside. I found my kid sitting in my dozer when I thought he was napping.

Also, I would venture to say that my kid, strapped into his buddy seat, is safer than him being in a car, strapped into his seat, in any similar situation including going down the road.

Whenever I buy a new tractor I look for safety for me and my children and that's why it's a deal breaker if it isn't safe. The PTO issue seems to be resolved.