Fair price for Ford 1720

/ Fair price for Ford 1720 #1  

OldBulldogger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 4WD
Hi, I am looking to purchase a 20 year old Ford 1720, 4wd, 2950 hours on it, and with a Ford 7108 loader attached. I found one that I am interested in and have talked to the owner about it.

I would appreciate ANY advice you can give me about these tractors in general and if they are reliable, easy to maintain, things to watch for overall, etc. Also, the one I am looking at has a 12-12 shuttle shift and the clutch has been replaced on it. Also, the seller made mention when it is real cold in the winter (Wisconsin), he sometimes uses a little ether to help start it? Is that normal? Everything else works as it should. Tractor is solid overall, just not new cosmetically. Tires are fair - 50-60% tread remaining.

What is a fair price for these? Any advice appreciated.

/ Fair price for Ford 1720 #2  
Oldbulldogger,

I bought a Ford 1710 a few months back, I believe it is basically the same tractor (previous model). So far a good tractor, everything Ive needed so far I was able to pick-up at a farm store here (TSC). On this site they seem to be between 8 and 12K FORD 1720, Used FORD 1720, FORD 1720 For Sale At TractorHouse.com - Page 1 . The eather to help start I wouldn't do, my manual clearly states to NOT do that.

Good luck, Henton

/ Fair price for Ford 1720 #3  
If the current owner thinks it "needs" ether to get it started then I think what it really NEEDS is a repair of some sort.

With ANY purchase of this sort I would change all fluids and filters first, that alone can fix hard starting and/or rough running problems - especially the air filter on diesels.
My next guesses are glow plugs, or glow plug relay.
After that maybe an injector.

If you are worried about model specific parts enquire about price and availability at the local dealer for a few of the major items - clutch, pistons, wheel bearings, etc.

/ Fair price for Ford 1720 #4  
I bought a Ford tractor several years ago and it needed a little eather to get it started, Talked to a good buddy afterwards who was a diesel mech. and he sez this is usually a sign of low compression, walk lightly my friend.

/ Fair price for Ford 1720 #5  
Problem with using ether is that it is easy to over use. If he is just using it instead of using a block heater is not as bad as always using ether to start it.
The previous owner of my 1700 used ether for cold winter starts. To date I have not had any issue with the engine, starting(down to 20F) or running. I have put 350 hours on it since I have bought it. My:2cents:

/ Fair price for Ford 1720
Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate the caution.

The seller said the tractor starts just fine all year long. The ONLY time he said he ever uses ether is when it gets fairly cold - down below 10F. Otherwise it starts and runs fine. Does not smoke at all he said. I am wondering if a new set of glowpugs may help?

/ Fair price for Ford 1720 #7  
If there is no block heater, I would start there. Not sure if 1720 uses key switch or timer to activate the glow plugs but either could go bad.

/ Fair price for Ford 1720 #8  
The 1720 uses the key to activate the glow plugs....

Oh and BTW I'm selling mine its a 1989 with a 7108 loader and 757 backhoe. has 978 hours on it and works wonderful... its also 4WD ---- $13000

Attachments

• P3031281.jpg
    P3031281.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 11,189
  • P3031283.jpg
    P3031283.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 10,422
  • P3031289.jpg
    P3031289.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 13,676
  • P3031284.jpg
    P3031284.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 3,736
   / Fair price for Ford 1720
Just updating this forum. I did buy the tractor and ended up replacing the glowplugs (of which I have another forum thread on) and once the new plugs were in, I have had no problem starting the tractor all winter in Minnesota AND without the use of ether. So it really was a glowplug issue in this case. :thumbsup:

/ Fair price for Ford 1720 #10  
I have a 1720 and if the glow plugs are working it should start at well below zero with no problems if it is cranking fast enough.
I use synthetic 5w40 which allows the engine to crank significantly faster when very cold.