Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours)

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #1  

ark1stclass

Hi, Guys I am new to these forums but have experience with different tractors but have never owned one myself.

I am looking right now at a 2005 TC35D HYD tranny with NH FEL with 3500 hours, it was owned by a construction company doing landscape work, the dealer is looking for the service records. I checked the fluids and they look and smell ok, the oil was "gray" so it could have recently been changed. The dealer told me they change all fluids befor delivery on any used equipment, so it was not susposed to have been changed. I drove it and think all is in good shape, and everything seemed strong. I really liked it and I have several hours seat time with Deeres, Kubotas and older Fords.

I have them at $11,500.00 on the machine.

My questions are is the price ok? and how long is the moter expected to last?

I thank you for any input.

Jim

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #2  
the motor can last no telling how long with reg maintance an oil changes.unless something happens out of the ordary.

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #3  
That is the second highest number of hours that I have heard on this sort of tractor. A couple of years ago, someone had bought a TC35(I think) from a city (who used it to mow) at >5000 hours.

I would take the risk if that is the only one around, but I would also look around a bit. It is my feeling that the TC35/40/45 prices have come down quite a bit, and it is possible you could get a much lower hour tractor, with the bigger loader and engine(that comes with the 40/45) for something close to your price.

I really like the features of this model of tractor. My feeling is that it is the sweet spot of being utterly user friendly, without the complexity of the newer automated load sensing transmissions.

Chris

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #4  
Hi, Guys I am new to these forums but have experience with different tractors but have never owned one myself.

I am looking right now at a 2005 TC35D HYD tranny with NH FEL with 3500 hours, it was owned by a construction company doing landscape work, the dealer is looking for the service records. I checked the fluids and they look and smell ok, the oil was "gray" so it could have recently been changed. The dealer told me they change all fluids befor delivery on any used equipment, so it was not susposed to have been changed. I drove it and think all is in good shape, and everything seemed strong. I really liked it and I have several hours seat time with Deeres, Kubotas and older Fords.

I have them at $11,500.00 on the machine.

My questions are is the price ok? and how long is the moter expected to last?

I thank you for any input.

Jim

11.5 is way to high for that tractor from all the ones i have delt with and all the salvage parts dealers i know real could the motors in them are about 4000 hour motors sometimes a little more but not on most and they are expensive to work on when they start breaking if u do some looking around you can find a better deal

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #5  
I think you are looking at a pretty good price, but I'd offer less just because it's always in your favor to ask for a better deal. If the tractor has 3500 hours on it, it has given its owner plenty of valuable work. The tractor and loader sold new for about $17,500 to $18000. That gives you an idea of how much depreciation it has had. I think I'd offer $10k to $10.5k as a cash deal.

Here are some things to check and use to bargain. Check that the PTO works well. If the PTO has obviously been used a lot, bring up that the PTO brake can have excessive wear if the operator has not operated properly. Tell the seller you want to see a demo of the PTO driving a rotary cutter either one of his or yours.

Also, raise the hood and look at the battery area really closely under and behind the battery for evidence of acid damage. If there is a lot of damage in that area, tell the seller that is a $1000 to $1500 repair that will need to be done soon.

Another thing to check is the 4wd. Check engagement and operation of the 4wd and then use the loader bucket to slightly lift the front wheels and shift out of 4wd. On these tractors, shifting out of 4wd is best done with the front wheels lifted off the ground because of driveline windup while in 4wd. That is also a good check to see that the loader is strong. End up with the loader in the air and something on the 3PH and then turn off the engine and see how long the loader stays up and the 3PH holds the implement. With this many hours, the loader will probably slowly leak down, but the 3PH should hold firm. Use any leakdown as another bargaining point.

A final thing to check is the HST's operation and the functioning of the rabbit/turtle switch. Drive along and switch back and forth between rabbit and turtle several times to make sure everything is working.

I'm going to disagree with anyone who says this engine is a low hour engine. These engines are strong and I don't know anyone who has had one fail. If you do your oil changes in a timely manner, this engine will still be working fine at 10,000 hours. If the engine starts and runs with no smoke and sounds good, you need not worry. I would check the antifreeze also to see that it is present and that the cooling system is in good shape.

Good luck with your shopping.:thumbsup:

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #6  
i know of a bunch of people that has had them go bad with around 4000 hours

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #7  
i know of a bunch of people that has had them go bad with around 4000 hours

What engine? What went bad? How many is a "bunch"? If you mean Shibaura engines in general, that could well be true, but not knowing how something was maintained leaves lots of questions. I don't doubt you, but I just think we need to more accurately describe and quantify the problems you have heard about. I have never heard of a TC35/35D engine failing. My neighbor used to work for a NH dealer as a mechanic and bought a TC35A because it was one of the most reliable compact utility tractors.

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #8  
i know with in the last two years i have had about 5 with broke crankshafts i have owned 3 myself that needed heads (and thats just the ones i traded in from people) 1 more that a customer had me fix that needed a head and one that the piston split apart at the ristpin and another that the piston split right down the middle of it

now these aint just the tc sieres but from the 20 series and up. but yes they are a real good tractor just i wouldn't wont to buy one with 3500 hours on it and expect it to last forever

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #9  
Thanks for the clarification. That puts some real world numbers to your experiences and gives a much clearer picture. I agree that on a tractor with this many hours, I'd want to be sure the engine is strong. I don't know the exact age of the tractor, but if it is a 2000 or 2001, it's only been used 350 hours per year. That's really not hard usage, and landscaping is really not rough work for a tractor. Even so, caution is always the best approach.:)

/ Pricing on a TC35D (3500 hours) #10  
Thanks for the clarification. That puts some real world numbers to your experiences and gives a much clearer picture. I agree that on a tractor with this many hours, I'd want to be sure the engine is strong. I don't know the exact age of the tractor, but if it is a 2000 or 2001, it's only been used 350 hours per year. That's really not hard usage, and landscaping is really not rough work for a tractor. Even so, caution is always the best approach.:)

thats right but if t was me i would wont to b able to test all the function under a load like the pto and the motor while pulling a bushhog for about an hour and see how it is it might be a good deal but then good be a lemond