Buying Advice Help buying a Ford 1720

/ Help buying a Ford 1720 #1  

OldBulldogger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 4WD
Hello,
I am going to look at a 1989 Ford 1720 this weekend. It has a 7108QT FEL and a Ford 715 3pt blower. I have talked to the owner and he said everything runs as it should. No issues to speak of. No leaks. Tires are about 50%. Has about 3300 hours on it. Pictures show average condition - no dents, just some paint fade. Ebverything looks straight and not all busted up. Engine photos show everything dry - no leaks etc and does not appear to have been cleaned. Most hours accumulated when a backhoe was attached to dig trenches.

Would like to know if these are decent tractors, reliable, easy to maintain, and well built? Any information from prior owners would be appreciated. Price suggestions?

THANKS

/ Help buying a Ford 1720 #2  
OldBulldogger,

This sounds exactly like my tractor except for the blower. Don't need one of those down in sunny Ga! :D

I've had my 1720 for 10 years now. It has 2800 hrs and I've put over half of those on it.
It was terribly abused by the previous owner so it looked like C**P when I got it, but it is one tough little tractor.

It always cranks, it's never failed to do anything I've asked of it and quite frankly I've asked more from it that it should ever have to give.

I used it this past summer to pull an 11ft finishing mower to mow 50 acres of sod once a week and it never balked, never tired and never ran hot.

I haven't had to do much mechanically to it, either. Change oils and filters as recommended and a few little other things along the way, but nothing that ever kept it from performing for more than a few hours at a time.

All in all ...... BEST money I've ever spent!!!! :thumbsup:

/ Help buying a Ford 1720 #3  
Hello,
I am going to look at a 1989 Ford 1720 this weekend. It has a 7108QT FEL and a Ford 715 3pt blower. I have talked to the owner and he said everything runs as it should. No issues to speak of. No leaks. Tires are about 50%. Has about 3300 hours on it. Pictures show average condition - no dents, just some paint fade. Ebverything looks straight and not all busted up. Engine photos show everything dry - no leaks etc and does not appear to have been cleaned. Most hours accumulated when a backhoe was attached to dig trenches.

Would like to know if these are decent tractors, reliable, easy to maintain, and well built? Any information from prior owners would be appreciated. Price suggestions?

THANKS

from a dealership stand point, we see a bunch of them in for regular maintence and service and they are a tough little tractor. people abuse them and do things the tractor probably shouldnt be able to do but they do it and are stout and keep going. nice tractor.

/ Help buying a Ford 1720 #4  
I bought one 4 years ago with 245 one owner hours on it...
Tractor was cherry...
I've now got 500 hours on her just pulling a 6' RFM and box blade...
Just got an FEL for her and plan on keeping the tractor until I pass on...
Real popular size...
Don't find many for sale...
Local dealer who put my FEL on had several people wanting to purchase it while the FEL was being installed...
If the tractor is in good mechanical condition she will last a lifetime...

/ Help buying a Ford 1720 #5  
I bought my 1989 FORD 1720 with 7108 FEL and 757C backhoe for $6000, but the clutch was froze together, the previous owner did NOT have a block of wood under the clutch pedal to keep condensation from rusting the clutch, and so I had to replace the clutch on it, thats a dual disc unit, cost me over $3000 for the clutch replacement, but all in all still a really nice compact TLB. I'd like to sell the turf tires and rims, or trade someone who has AGs... 4x4 works wonderful never got stuck, and the 757 digs great. I think the unit is still worth more today then what I have in it, only 970 hours on the tractor.

:D

/ Help buying a Ford 1720 #6  
no luck finding AG wheels, so I decided to SELL the tractor. I found something else that will suit my needs better, I tried to post the details in the for sale section but my posts are not showing up...

So if anyone is interested, I'm selling my 1720 w/loader and backhoe...

/ Help buying a Ford 1720
I might be interested in it. Can you post some photos?

/ Help buying a Ford 1720 #8  
I will post photos later on Sunday or monday, have to take some this weekend..

I have ALL the manuals with it as well. NEW hyd lines on the loader, NEW 9" bucket as well as a used 16" bucket, NEW bucket pins and bucket link arms, the only issue is the stabilizers leak a little. Otherwise it works fantastic. re-painted 2yrs ago, and new decals too. I hope to get the photos this weekend and upload some. They still didnt post my add in the classifed section not sure whats going on...

Anyway, I'll be asking $13000 for this thing.

Last edited:
   / Help buying a Ford 1720 #9  
I just posted mine on craigslist.. .. here are some photos.

Attachments

• P3031283.jpg
    P3031283.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 1,998
  • P3031281.jpg
    P3031281.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 1,351
  • P3031291.jpg
    P3031291.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 1,549