Is a repairing a cylider head worth while?

/ Is a repairing a cylider head worth while? #1  

ziptiekid

Tractor
1984 Ford 1700 4x4 and 1944 Farmall super H
Our 1700 Ford 4x4 2 cylider diesel has 3 hair line cracks that go from the valve seats to the edge of the combustion area...is it worth trying to have them repaired or do we buy new? If new....where can you find one? If you want more info...I started a thread labeled ( Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator ).

/ Is a repairing a cylider head worth while? #2  
Our 1700 Ford 4x4 2 cylider diesel has 3 hair line cracks that go from the valve seats to the edge of the combustion area...is it worth trying to have them repaired or do we buy new? If new....where can you find one? If you want more info...I started a thread labeled ( Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator ).

If it was my tractor, I be looking to replace that head with a used one that's been magnafluxed and found to be good and rebuilt or a new one. Cracks around the valve seat are difficult to repair well especially around an exhaust valve. That's a real hot area. Google around and see what you can find. The first place to look would be a NH dealer but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg, plus your first born.

/ Is a repairing a cylider head worth while? #3  
I looked here and there on line but could not find cylinder head. The op might call guys below. They do have a block available around $900, but don't list out head. I'm sure it'll be pricey unless you find a whole salvage tractor to part our locally. For the price of the head gasket and some sweat equity, I'd try to repair while looking for a permanent fix. Any pics of the hair line crack? I did a small repair on hair line crack on steering arm and it did hold the weld pretty well with my flux cored mig machine.

JC,

Wengers Of Myerstown - Farm Equipment, Agriculture Equipment, Tractor Parts, Construction Equipment, Construction Parts

/ Is a repairing a cylider head worth while?
Since I last posted....I found a head at a NH dealer, they wanted $2300 for a bare bones head. I talked with the guy at the local motor shop and he said that he repairs them all time...he looked at all of the cracks and took the valves out and magnafluxed it to show the cracks inside the precombustion chamber and other places. He uses a technique called "pinning". They drill holes along the crack and screw in little plugs and weld them into place and then grind it down smooth. Then they do a complete valve job and pressure test it to 400psi..he said if it goes smoothly and passes the pressure test, he is confident that we will be ok. It costs $400. Normally I would have had a cow, but, it sure beats the heck out of $2300..:laughing:

/ Is a repairing a cylider head worth while? #5  
Since I last posted....I found a head at a NH dealer, they wanted $2300 for a bare bones head. I talked with the guy at the local motor shop and he said that he repairs them all time...he looked at all of the cracks and took the valves out and magnafluxed it to show the cracks inside the precombustion chamber and other places. He uses a technique called "pinning". They drill holes along the crack and screw in little plugs and weld them into place and then grind it down smooth. Then they do a complete valve job and pressure test it to 400psi..he said if it goes smoothly and passes the pressure test, he is confident that we will be ok. It costs $400. Normally I would have had a cow, but, it sure beats the heck out of $2300..:laughing:

I totally missed your thread, sorry for the pickle you got yourself in. Heck, for $2300 and some you can buy a spare tractor to salvage parts from. I'd take the $400 route as well. Good luck.

JC,