Buying Advice Ford 1720

/ Ford 1720 #1  

jgriswol538802

I looked at a Ford 1720 today, 725 hrs, decent paint and sheet metal ( some rust, but not excessive ). It cranked well, no excessive smoke, and all gears and lift worked. It has 4 FWD, REV, and L-M-H and two stage clutch for PTO. The tires are decent with some weather cracking, but again not excessive.

The asking price is $5000. It is at a dealer.

The big problem I did spot ( It was easy as there was a big spot of hydraulic fluid underneath it ) was a leak from the rear end. The salesman explained that part of the housing was cracked. They had attempted to repair it with JB Weld, but apparently did not get it clean enough for the JB Weld to hold. He said it was in line to be re-repaired and they would guarantee it would not leak when finished.

Question is is this an acceptable method of repairing this type of crack? I know some cracks can be welded. Would that be a better way to go? Should I forget this one and move on to something else. He did say they would give a 30 to 60 day warranty on the repair.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

/ Ford 1720 #2  
The 1720 is a fantastic tractor, however I have never had any success with JBweld, and that was for small repairs. If the dealer won't weld it, keep looking.

/ Ford 1720 #3  
I have owned a 1720 going on 5 years now. They are a fine tractor. However, I would be very hesitant to purchase a tractor with a cracked housing unless I could get in writing some type of warranty. I would think that a 6 or 12 month warranty guaranteeing workmanship on repairing the crack would be reasonable. I doubt very seriously the dealer would do that.

/ Ford 1720 #4  
I have a Ford 1720 and just love it. It is a great little tractor with enough power for its size. I have the 4wd option and it has proven itself to be a feature I would not live without. These tractors are very easy to maintain and everything is easy to access. I have used mine for blowing snow, grading, moving gravel, dirt, snow etc and it works well. I really appreciate the shuttle shift and find it extremely handy when doing loader work. I live in a wooded area and also really appreciate the size of this machine for the power it has. I can get in and around most places in the woods and it has a tight turning radius which I have found handy for navigating in and around trees. You are certainly looking at great little tractor and it has my vote.

As shared by others, I would be cautious with the cracked housing. You may want to contact other implement dealers and try to get some additional perspectives on how repairable this is. I would suggest taking a photo with your phone and emailing it as well. I think you will get a good feel for whether or not this is something to shy away from or not. I agree too with the above post about trying to get a 6 or 12 month warranty on the repair. Keep us posted as to what you find out and good luck with your search. The price seems pretty reasonable to me although I don't know if you have 4wd or not. Most of the ads I have seen in the past year range from $5500 to $13000 depending on hours and whether or not it has a loader and 4wd vs 2wd.

/ Ford 1720 #5  
Get them to guarantee it for at least a year, in writing.