Looking to buy new Boomer 3045 but have a dilemma and need opinions!

/ Looking to buy new Boomer 3045 but have a dilemma and need opinions! #1  

eagle107

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere Tractors
Hi Guys,

I have a dilemma that I was wondering any of you could give me your opinions on. I have a 2006 New Holland TC34DA w/240TL FEL. I have 26 acres and cut about 10 acres, the rest is wooded with some trails. I was out looking at new tractors with my neighbor and looked at the JD3720 w/cab and NH Boomer 3045 w/cab. The trade in value for my tractor is $15,000.00 and both tractors cost about $20,000.00. While I like the JD, dollar for dollar, the NH seems to be a nicer and larger tractor for the money. The issue I have is that my uncle (a union heavy construction worker for 35 years) is telling me the TC34DA is the right size tractor for the property and the other tractor will be much too heavy for the property. He is basing this on my neighbor's tractor which is a TC40D w/16LA FEL, filled/loaded tires and a Woods 84 mower which creates a lot of ruts during the spring and fall seasons. My neighbor (owner of the TC40D tractor) and the NH Sales person (the son/part owner of the dealership who I have known for years and trust) stated that with unfilled/unloaded turf tires should not cause any more ruts than what I am seeing now with the TC34DA during the spring and fall seasons. My neighbor thinks I am crazy not to take the deal and says you will have the extra HP power when you need it.

Other considerations:

1. The TC34DA bogs down when using the 71" NH 918H flail mower in very heavy grass.
2. I will most likely need to get new implements but can trade in my 981H flail and 68" Meteor snow blower for a Woods 84" mower and 75" Meteor snow blower w/hydro.
3. The boomer 3045 will suck more fuel than the TC34DA to cut the same amount of grass increasing my total cost of ownership. However, if I get the 84 woods mower, I should cut the grass in half the time it takes now with the flail mower saving me on fuel.
4. I live in NJ but the tractor will be on my property in Buffalo, NY - will only put on 25 to 40 hours on the tractor a year. Cab is nice for the winter if and when I need. My uncle usually will plow the driveway with his truck during the winter for my mom. Not sure if it worth buying for 24 to 40 hours a year.
5. If I buy this tractor, most likely will be the last tractor I will ever buy; looking to keep the tractor for 20 to 25 years.
6. This is a December 2010 model tractor with the generation 1 CVT transmission. The dealer says NH is working on a generation 2 CVT that will use electronically controlled transmission and engine to maximize full the capabilities of the CVT. Do I buy now or wait for the gen 2 transmission (dealer has no idea when it will come out or if it will cost more)? The gen 1 CVT had problems when it first came out in 2009 but the issues seemed to be fixed and many people seem to like the transmission now.

So here is my dilemma, which person is right: my uncle or my neighbor and dealer about the size of the tractor? Money will not be a problem, but is the cab worth having (love the cab) and should I wait till gen 2 CVT comes out? I have been thinking about this for a week now and it is killing. I my gut is telling me to go with it. I am thinking of asking the dealer to demo the tractor at the end of August when I back in Buffalo if he still has the unit in stock. Again, any opinions you might have to help me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
John

/ Looking to buy new Boomer 3045 but have a dilemma and need opinions! #2  
I have a TC45D with an HST and no cab. I really like my tractor, but it has a different transmission than you are considering.

The tractor you are looking at is orphaned(they only made the CVT for a short time, and have moved their small tractor production to a different manufacturer).

NH took a little while to get the bugs out of the CVT(mainly tuning of the transmission), but those who have them seem to like them, a lot. The general impression is that they are significantly better to operate than an HST. There are other nameplates for essentially the same tractor(NH 8N, 3050, and comparable Case models)

In short, it seems like people really like the tractor your are looking at, including the cab, transmission, and engine. However, you ought to be able to get a really good deal, because thost tractors are no longer being produced.

I don't know if I would put this tractor(or any new dandy tractor) in a remote location with not much use. I have had bad experiences with packrats, and these tractors(nh, case, jd, and kubota) have a ton of mission critical electronics.

I hope others chime in, as most of this information is second hand. Good luck.

Chris

/ Looking to buy new Boomer 3045 but have a dilemma and need opinions!
Chris,

Thank you. I did not know this this transmission was no longer being made. This helps to narrow down my decision. Maybe I should just keep the TC34DA and add a Woods finishing mower seeing the tractor has been bullet proof. Maybe I will keep my eye on the JD3720 in the future.

As for the new NH model tractors (Boomer 30-50), I think they are junk and are being made by L&S. If I wanted a Korean tractor, I would buy a Kioti. In addition, the user platform on these new tractors are terrible with no leg room, the tire ratios are off which makes the front of the tractor angle up instead of down, I am being told the 3 point hitch implements, like a 72 mower, are hitting the back tires when being fully raised, there is no cab option for the new tractors (yet) and they feel cheap. I really think New Holland made some bad decisions with these new model tractors and I am really disappointed with them.

John

/ Looking to buy new Boomer 3045 but have a dilemma and need opinions! #4  
There are a lot of really smart people who, I think, agree with you. I have said that the design of my tractor model was just right, with just the right amount, and kind, of automation.

I can't see NH garnering any major sort of the small tractor market with this line up, and when the value of the dollar drops, they are gonna be truly out in the cold. As you said, why not just buy direct?

If you can really get that tractor for 20K$, though, you should buy it. That is a great deal. At 35K$, which is what you may have meant, I'd pass.

Chris

PS, I'd hope others would confirm my statements. That is what I've read, but it is truly second and third hand information.

The Boomer 3045 w/cab and 250TL FEL is $35,000.00. The New Holland dealer is giving me $15,000 for my 2006 TC34DA with the FEL and the remaining $20,000 would be financed at 0%. I think the trade-in value is good, but for a tractor no longer being produced, it seems that the tractor might be too high.

On the flip side, the John Deere 3720 w/cab and 300X FEL is $31,700.00 and with the 300CX loader it is $32,900.00. The JD dealer will give me $12,500.00 for my tractor and the $19,200.00 or $20,400.00 would be financed at 0%.

I am not sure which one would be the better deal. I am thinking the JD ehydro overtime might have better resale/trade-in value. I am worried a non-NH dealer would not touch the Boomer 3045 tractor for a trade-in if I need something different in the future.

Also, what do you think would be the right price for the Boomer 3045: $30,000.00 or less?

Thanks,
John

/ Looking to buy new Boomer 3045 but have a dilemma and need opinions! #6  
I just bought a Case tractor like the NH you are referring to, it hasn't even been delivered yet. It's a brand new farmall 45 HP with a cab, front end loader. Heat/air/ CD player, etc. A friend of mine is maybe unloaded his 5083e JD and if he does I'm going to sell this tractor quickly. PM me if you want some info or you are interested. Again- I don't even have it yet, i've been waiting on the loader to come in.

/ Looking to buy new Boomer 3045 but have a dilemma and need opinions! #7  
Eagle107, for no more hours than you put on a tractor in a year, I think putting out 20k for a larger new tractor with a cab is a bit wacky.:confused2: I would bet you can find an aftermarket cab for your TC34DA for much less than $20k. For sure, you could find a soft cab and put turf tires on it. Your 3045 is priced at $35k because the dealer has inflated the trade-in value on your TC34DA and you are getting 0% interest. When you factor in buying new implements, you are really spending a lot of money to be able to operate a cabbed tractor for 25 to 40 hours per year. I would exhaust all options for a cab on the TC34DA before I would consider the 3045 deal. Consider these linked cabs by Sims.

Yeah, I guess you are right about the cab. My dad mostly used the tractor until he died early this year. Now I need to run up home and try to take care of the property during my vacation time. During the wet season this year (April and May), the grass really got away from me. I was struggling trying to cut the grass with the 71' flail mower and the TC34DA just did not have the PTO horsepower (at 28.9hp) to cut through the heavy stuff. However, my neighbors TC40D with his WOOD PRD 84" finishing mower went through it like butter. I was thinking that I should get a tractor with at least 31hp or 32hp to the PTO and the JD3720 really seems fit that category with 35hp to the PTO.

My trade in value is $12,500 and if I sell it myself, I might get between $14,000.00 and $15,000.00; the tractor only has 600 hours on it. My concern is that the TC34DA is mainly a Shibaura tractor and now that CNH cut manufacturing ties with Shibaura, I am not sure how long CNH will stock parts for this tractor or how fast this tractor's value will be diminished. Plus my NH dealer believes that the TC34DA will have issues with a 84" finishing mower when I hit the heavier grass; he tells that I just do not have the PTO hp for this type of mower.

So while I can get a good buck out of this tractor, I was thinking to go with the "JD 3720 w/the open station" for around $12,780.00 and keep it for the next 20 years (most likely will be the last big tractor I ever buy).

Anyone have ideas how long CNH will keep parts for Shibaura tractors?

Thanks,
John

/ Looking to buy new Boomer 3045 but have a dilemma and need opinions! #9  
Yeah, I guess you are right about the cab. My dad mostly used the tractor until he died early this year. Now I need to run up home and try to take care of the property during my vacation time. During the wet season this year (April and May), the grass really got away from me. I was struggling trying to cut the grass with the 71' flail mower and the TC34DA just did not have the PTO horsepower (at 28.9hp) to cut through the heavy stuff. However, my neighbors TC40D with his WOOD PRD 84" finishing mower went through it like butter. I was thinking that I should get a tractor with at least 31hp or 32hp to the PTO and the JD3720 really seems fit that category with 35hp to the PTO.

My trade in value is $12,500 and if I sell it myself, I might get between $14,000.00 and $15,000.00; the tractor only has 600 hours on it. My concern is that the TC34DA is mainly a Shibaura tractor and now that CNH cut manufacturing ties with Shibaura, I am not sure how long CNH will stock parts for this tractor or how fast this tractor's value will be diminished. Plus my NH dealer believes that the TC34DA will have issues with a 84" finishing mower when I hit the heavier grass; he tells that I just do not have the PTO hp for this type of mower.

So while I can get a good buck out of this tractor, I was thinking to go with the "JD 3720 w/the open station" for around $12,780.00 and keep it for the next 20 years (most likely will be the last big tractor I ever buy).

Anyone have ideas how long CNH will keep parts for Shibaura tractors?

Thanks,
John

Were from?Just wondering said buffalo just didnt know if it was Texas.

Buffalo, NY - actually around the East Aurora, NY area.