Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid #1  

deerslayer303

Hello Folks,

I found what I think might be a steal on a 641 Ford. The asking price is 1500. Now its not a show winner but it doesn't look bad either. Tires are in great shape. The engine runs like a sewing machine, no smoke, knocks, leaks, etc. The trans shifts good, all the gears work, and the clutch seems fine. Brakes stop well also. After 2 months we put a battery charger on it and she fired right up. There is no water in the oil and the antifreeze looks pretty and green. The PTO works good, and the lift works good also and holds the set of disks on the back up just fine. But whats worrying me is when I pulled the dipstick right there by the pto lever milky oil ran out. How is water getting in there? The tractor sits outside with only a tarp over it. I'd hate to pass this up but I also don't want to split the tractor either. Thank you in advance for any advice ya'll could offer.

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid #2  
I have had similar problems with every older tractor I have owned. I think the problem on mine was the deteriorated/non-existent boot over the shifting lever.
AND/or condensation due to the climate here in MN. I ended up buying a soft-sided building from Menards which helped tremendously but did not absolutely fix the problem.

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid
You know this is very true, This tractor does not have a boot on the shifter either, and it has resided outside. Is there Freeze plugs on the back of the blocks on this old Fords? Like inside the bellhousing of the tractor. My first thought that if they had them then one could be leaking into the tranny. I just can't get this thing out of my mind and 1500 bucks I wanna run over there and buy it but I'm trying to keep my head LOL

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid #4  
Don't know about freeze plugs, but after replacing the 28 year old shift boots on my tractor (Ford 1700) the water in trannie fluid went away. I would think a pressure test on the cooling system should tell you if there a coolant leaks.

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid #5  
You know this is very true, This tractor does not have a boot on the shifter either, and it has resided outside. Is there Freeze plugs on the back of the blocks on this old Fords? Like inside the bellhousing of the tractor. My first thought that if they had them then one could be leaking into the tranny. I just can't get this thing out of my mind and 1500 bucks I wanna run over there and buy it but I'm trying to keep my head LOL

Water isn't going to get through freezeplugs and into the transmission, much less the hydraulic reservoir where the dipstick is. It could only get into the clutch housing, and it would be showing green like the antifreeze. Buy the tractor and change the fluids.

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid #6  
ditto what rick said.. 1500$ is a steal.

if the hyds works and is not pumping hyd fluid into the trans,, or sucking fluid fromt he trans intot he hyds.. then change and flush all the oils and go play with the trator.

soundguy

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid #7  
I HAVE A 56 FORD 641. THE THREE POINT HITCH WONT RAISE. CHANGED ALL FLUIDS BUT STILL WONT LIFT. STARTED UP TRACTOR TO CHARGE BATTERY AND ABOUT HALF HOUR LATER FLUID WAS OZING FROM THE TRANNY SHIFTER BOOT. RECHECKED MY FLUIDS AND DISCOVERED THAT THE PTO FLUID WAS PUMPED INTO THE TRANNY CAUSING THE OVERFLOW.........IM NO MECHANIC.......ANY IDEAS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.....THANK U

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid #8  
I HAVE A 56 FORD 641. THE THREE POINT HITCH WONT RAISE. CHANGED ALL FLUIDS BUT STILL WONT LIFT. STARTED UP TRACTOR TO CHARGE BATTERY AND ABOUT HALF HOUR LATER FLUID WAS OZING FROM THE TRANNY SHIFTER BOOT. RECHECKED MY FLUIDS AND DISCOVERED THAT THE PTO FLUID WAS PUMPED INTO THE TRANNY CAUSING THE OVERFLOW.........IM NO MECHANIC.......ANY IDEAS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.....THANK U

It appears that the hydraulic pressure line in the transmission is leaking due to corrosion or, perhaps, freeze damage. This is not uncommon on these 50+ year-old tractors if they have not been properly maintained. When the pressure line leaks, oil is pumped from the hydraulic reservior into the transmission. Proper repair requires both front and rear splits.

SDT

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid #9  
It appears that the hydraulic pressure line in the transmission is leaking due to corrosion or, perhaps, freeze damage. This is not uncommon on these 50+ year-old tractors if they have not been properly maintained. When the pressure line leaks, oil is pumped from the hydraulic reservior into the transmission. Proper repair requires both front and rear splits.

SDT
thanks for the quick response.... u say a front and rear split what exactly is that. sounds like a major job. Can i drive the tractor or will that cause more damage thank u

/ Ford 641 Milky Trans Fluid #10  
thanks for the quick response.... u say a front and rear split what exactly is that. sounds like a major job. Can i drive the tractor or will that cause more damage thank u

Pretty sure he's saying to split the tranny from the engine (front) and tranny from the differential/rear axle housing (rear). In short, completely separate the tranny from both ends.