Buying Advice I have issues........I know

/ I have issues........I know #1  

Tkblacktail

Gold Member
I'm buying a NH Boomer this next January; Something like a TC 30.

I frequently suffer from buyer's remorse because I'm not very good at recognizing the hidden and "intentionally" omitted details of a product description (Like the DOM on a Kubota RTV-being encrypted into the VIN... a buyer thinks he is getting a new piece of equipment; oh, its new alright, but it might not be that year's model :ashamed:) (Or, like the Troy-built clones; you think you are getting a troy-built log splitter but it is really an MTD clone..

I know, I have it bad.

To make my purchase even more difficult:

(1) I promised a friend (3hours away) that I would only buy a tractor from him, my real friendships are few and thus very important to me; this will make it hard to bring warranty work back to the dealer I bought it from.
You know how the "other dealer" always asks if you bought a product from elsewhere..... then they treat you poorly..........so I think anyway.

So, to try and do this purchase a little better than the previous buys; I'm asking anyone out there if they would share any of the little "nit-noids" or "quirks" that exist with the NH compact tractor line so I can ask my friend about them up front.

Is there a way to test the tractor at the dealership?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
   / I have issues........I know #2  
Lets talk warranty. I have a Kubota dealer less than a mile from me and I bout a Kubota 2000 miles away from me. Why? , Because I asked my dealer to match the price and he pretty much told me to pound sand. SO I bought it from the dealer 2000 miles away, save several thousand dollars, PLUS during the add on phase the dealer sent me DAILY digital photos of the progress. That may not sound too impressive today, but that was in 1990, now are you impressed - I was.

I never ever did need service on it in the 10 years I owned it. Fluid etc I just did myself. When I serviced it prior to me selling it so it was in good shape I took it to the dealer that didn't want to work with me. No problem, of course it was 10 years later.

Furthermore any dealer that does not work on your vehicle will have the Regional NH people come down on them HARD and could jeopardize their franchise. They have contracts that they must adhere to in order to remain a dealer.

Testing at a dealership in imperative and every dealer should have an area to drive around etc. Some even have an are to dig a hole if you get a back hoe.

I went with another dealer because my dealer was a Jerk. Understanding your friendship and all, if your local dealer is letting you drive it, giving you advice and giving you a great deal personally I would support him over your friend. If he is in fact a friend he will understand. Unless he is selling it to you at cost then there is a lot to be said for the local guy.

Lastly, buying equipment is based on Service, reliability, price, quality, and does it do what you need. If it fills those qualifications that you can toss out what year it was made or what color it is.

/ I have issues........I know #3  
I have a NH TC 29....29 Hp with a FEL that I bought new in 2000 and it has 388 hrs.on it now...I have used it for bush hogging, grubbing logs, clearing , moving dirt and untold chores...I have done all my own routine maintenance. It has never had to go to the dealer. It is a strong and solid machine. I would buy it again..Now that has been my experience..I can't think of a thing to warn you about..

/ I have issues........I know #4  
You've asked some good questions, and I'm sure that you'll get more replies. Meanwhile, why don't you read the reviews on the TC30: New Holland TC30 Reviews - TractorByNet.com
BTW, there are more TC reviews there also.

I've never owned a "compact" tractor. Never really saw the need. Always had work that required bigger stuff. But, I'm very satisfied with my NH. I have a TN70A that has about 375 hours on it now, and I sold a 7610S last winter. (replaced it with a cab tractor)

/ I have issues........I know #5  
I'm buying a NH Boomer this next January; Something like a TC 30.

. . . I know, I have it bad.

To make my purchase even more difficult: . . . .

I think you need to look at your purchase and start uncomplicating the process. This purchase is for YOU. It's going to be a machine YOU use for many years to make YOUR life easier. YOU will be paying hard-earned dollars for this machine. If you have that friend who is a dealer and 3 hours away, he'll still be your friend if you buy locally. Do you think he would drive 3 hours to get his spare parts from a buddy? To me, there is nothing better than the relationship with a good local dealer. Even if the local NH dealer is a jerk, I would look for another brand of tractor before I would drive 3 hours away.

There are lots of machines in the TC30 class, but since you said a TC30, I have to think you are intentionally buying an economy-class tractor without deluxe features. If you are going to fret later because you don't have deluxe features like armrests and swivel seats or padded operator platform, then you should really consider looking at a deluxe model tractor. If you want a basic hard working tractor without a lot of creature comforts, then the TC30 or other economy tractor might just fit the bill. Again, it's YOU that must decide.

Here is the biggest issue I think you will face with your purchase. New Holland has found a new manufacturer for thier compacts. Shibaura is no longer their source. They are buying LS tractors rebadged as New Hollands. Is it going to bother you to find out that you bought a Shibaura built tractor? I certainly would not care. I'd still prefer the Shibaura model, buy you seem to worry more about these kinds of things than most folks. In a way, buying New Holland and finding out it is from LS is exactly like buying your Troy-Bilt and finding out it is MTD, especially if the exact same model is available for a few dollars less from the LS dealer down the street.:(

Just take your time and think your purchase through, but always do what is best for YOU. Ask questions in these forums and you'll get lots of help. Do ask questions before your buy and not afterwards. That will ensure the least buyer's remorse. Good luck and enjoy your shopping. Life is too short to worry yourself to death.:)

/ I have issues........I know #6  
If you get to the point of looking at the Boomer 30/35 series (the LS NH's) and have any questions, let me know. I bought a Boomer 35 with NH Loader in June. So far so good. A few loader problems(keep having hyd connectors plug. Other than that it has been a good machine. I've only got about 35 hours on it now but should be scooping a ton of snow over the winter with it.

/ I have issues........I know
I'm glad I posted my question; what an eye opener. My heart sank when I seen that NH is buying the tractors from Korea, I'm at a loss.

It is exactly like my troy-built/mtd log splitter, it ain't the same product that earned the respect in the first place, so those tractors arn't New Holland, they are LS, dang.

Why am I so suprized? I can't find anything made in USA anymore, I guess I will
have to deal with this somehow, how nieve I am...........

Thank you so much for the truth. I will talk to my friend and get all my concerns on the table.

I'm sure the LS tractors are what is being paid for, I would much rather have a Korean product over product from China.

At least I know now, one less suprize.

Thanks again

/ I have issues........I know #8  
I'm glad I posted my question; what an eye opener. My heart sank when I seen that NH is buying the tractors from Korea, I'm at a loss.

It is exactly like my troy-built/mtd log splitter, it ain't the same product that earned the respect in the first place, so those tractors arn't New Holland, they are LS, dang.
Thank you so much for the truth. I will talk to my friend and get all my concerns on the table.
I'm sure the LS tractors are what is being paid for, I would much rather have a Korean product over product .......
At least I know now, one less suprize.
Thanks again

Are you absolutely locked in to buying that NH? Really.

/ I have issues........I know #9  
Are you absolutely locked in to buying that NH? Really.

That's what I'm thinking too. The OP needs to prevent buyer's remorse by being open to all brands and doing as many test drives as possible before buying.

/ I have issues........I know #10  
As Jinman pointed out it's nice to have a local dealer you can go to and build a relationship with.

My NH dealer is 3.5 miles from my house and the tractor I bought from him was $1500-1800 higher than quoted from a dealer an hour away. It's nice to be able to get parts locally. One Saturday I called right at closing and he said he would put the part I needed outside on a tractor running board and just to pay him the next week.

Another day I rented a harley rake which he normally charges $125 per day. I picked it up, used it for 2 hours, gave it a good bath, and took it back all nice and clean all before 11 o'clock. My dealer looked at it impressed and said "You bought your tractor here don't worry about it (the fee)-no one else requested it anyway"