/ 1971 Ford 4400? #1  

tech141

Bronze Member
Belleville, IL.... for now. 60 acres just South o
Tractor
JD 2020 with FEL
1971 Ford 4400? (Pics added)

Howdy folks,

I am looking at a 1971 Ford 4400 with front loader, 2900 hrs on the clock. It's the Industrial Model. The tractor needs paint/beautification, but seems to be in good working order. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Are there any quirks or known problems? What about parts availability?
Yeah, will be my first tractor (besides my Troy Bilt 'yard' tractor... LOL) and will be using it to work 60 acres I recently acquired.
I would really appreciate any info/suggestions on this. It's not cheap ($5k) and I'm a tad nervous about spending that kind of money.

Thanks.

Mike

Last edited:
   / 1971 Ford 4400? #2  
good price on a good machine. the 4xxx series fords are very tough, their front axle is especially suitable for a loader, moreso than their smaller brothers and sisters in the 3xxx and down line using radius rods that dat back to a 1939 design.

wet brakes and all on that machine. check her out good.

make sure all gears and ranges work.. pto, hyds, brakes, starts good hot and cold, oil pressure indicator working, be nice if it charged too.. but that is a side concern. look for leaks and whatnot.. a small drip or two is no biggy.. gushers are.. check cooling system for oil in water, check crankcase for water in oil.. be nice to check rear sump to see if it's emulsified.. etc.

check tires just to get an idea of value.. big rubber is expensive.. so if one is shot.. plan on the price.. however.. them big tires, even when worn near smooth, usually have good years left on them of useable life.

the basic tractor chassie shares 4xxx parts and that is a great 3 cyl engine, very available..e tc.

check for welds and repairs. a good repair is usually ok.. but repairs to castings may be problematic. check front axle for sloppiness.. etc.

good luck

soundguy

/ 1971 Ford 4400? #3  
ps.. welcome to TBN!!

/ 1971 Ford 4400? #4  
that is basicly a 4000 ford with a heavier front axle which is good for the loader is also will have a front hyd pump for the loader which makes it faster than a regular ag 4000 because the loader is stronger and faster they are some decent tractor and 5000 dollars is not high for that tractor that is a good price

/ 1971 Ford 4400?
Here are a few pics of the Beast in question. Needs a bit of paint...

4400-3.jpg

4400-2.jpg

4400-1.jpg

4400-4.jpg

/ 1971 Ford 4400? #6  
looks like a real workhorse to me!

soundguy

/ 1971 Ford 4400?
Sure does. We'll be driving up to take a look at it today. It's a 2.5 hour drive one-way so I hope it is actually what they advertise. I've spoken to the sellers a few times and they sure seem like honest, decent folks that aren't trying to put anything over on us.
Anyhoo, we really appreciate the responses. Being complete Newbies to tractors, any information we can get is priceless.

BTW - If you are interested, I have pics of our land up on my photobucket page.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Just click through the albums and take a peek.

As always, suggestions/comments are truly welcome.

/ 1971 Ford 4400? #8  
check the usual.. water in oil, and oil in water are the most important. check that the hyds work good.. no excessive leaks, starts good cold and warm, brakes work, pto works. preferably if he has a mower or implement to test with, do so. try to lift soemthing with the bucket too. check power steering.. watch the oil and charge indicator lamps before / after start to make sure they work.. etc.

look for smoke, stumbling, erattic idle or throttle control, look for signs of slobber at the stack.. though that CAN happen for excessive idle and not running them hard... and CAN clear up if just from the idle ing.. etc..

soundguy

/ 1971 Ford 4400? #9  
Tractor looks in fantastic shape. Very simple resto-appears complete and tins look great.

/ 1971 Ford 4400? #10  
yep.. you will have fun witht hat one.

I have a 4600 and love it

soundguy