Tractor Sizing Newbie needs advice-3910 vs. 4610

/ Newbie needs advice-3910 vs. 4610 #1  

onesmith

Tractor
Wannabe
Greetings, all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I bought a new construction foreclosure on 12.5 acres in upstate New York a couple of years ago and am in need of a tractor to take care of the property. I have been looking for one for a couple of years, but the perfect storm of money, time, and a good deal seems to have eluded me thus far! What makes it worse is that the good deals always seem to be more than 600 miles from here. Anyway, I plan on pulling the plug soon, one way or another, as I'm not going to shovel my 400+ feet of driveway by hand again this winter!

I have been looking at a couple of craigslist ads (can't afford new equipment), one for a Ford 3910 and one for a Ford 4610, both with FEL, and apparently in similar condition, but I'd like some advice before I pursue further. The 4610 is priced $1k more than the 3910, and the shipping would also be more as the 4610 is about 250 miles away and the 3910 about 50.

I addition to snow removal, I'll be using the tractor for mowing (I think I'll be getting a flail), driveway grading, landscape grading, and perhaps some hobby farming in next few years. Seven of my twelve acres are brush and every kind of weed known to mankind that I'd like to turn into a rural lawn. My soil is soggy mush in the spring and something near concrete after a summer dry spell.

I like the looks of the 4610, but according to tractordata, it has a cat 2 three-point hitch, and I'm a little concerned about acquiring implements without setting me back a heck of lot more than the $1k difference in initial tractor cost. I plan on acquiring a flail mower, back-blade, and box scraper, plus whatever I'll need to turn my pasture into something resembling a lawn.

What do you think?

/ Newbie needs advice-3910 vs. 4610 #2  
Perhaps you might go back on the website TractorData.com to compare specs and info on the models that you are looking at or possible other choices. Only my opinion, but do you really believe it is a good idea to purchase a used tractor that is to be shipped from a long distance? Your thread suggested that you have not actually seen or driven the tractor. I, for one, would not even consider this, especially from Craigslist. Although there are good deals on that site, I would not recommend buying a used tractor unseen or driven from any source. I am only trying to help. Good Luck.:tractor::welcome::)

/ Newbie needs advice-3910 vs. 4610 #3  
Perhaps you might go back on the website TractorData.com to compare specs and info on the models that you are looking at or possible other choices. Only my opinion, but do you really believe it is a good idea to purchase a used tractor that is to be shipped from a long distance? Your thread suggested that you have not actually seen or driven the tractor. I, for one, would not even consider this, especially from Craigslist. Although there are good deals on that site, I would not recommend buying a used tractor unseen or driven from any source. I am only trying to help. Good Luck.:tractor::welcome::)
By the way, I sincerely hope that everything works out in your favor. This comes from the bottom of my heart. Good Luck again.

/ Newbie needs advice-3910 vs. 4610 #4  
Greetings, all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I bought a new construction foreclosure on 12.5 acres in upstate New York a couple of years ago and am in need of a tractor to take care of the property. I have been looking for one for a couple of years, but the perfect storm of money, time, and a good deal seems to have eluded me thus far! What makes it worse is that the good deals always seem to be more than 600 miles from here. Anyway, I plan on pulling the plug soon, one way or another, as I'm not going to shovel my 400+ feet of driveway by hand again this winter!

I have been looking at a couple of craigslist ads (can't afford new equipment), one for a Ford 3910 and one for a Ford 4610, both with FEL, and apparently in similar condition, but I'd like some advice before I pursue further. The 4610 is priced $1k more than the 3910, and the shipping would also be more as the 4610 is about 250 miles away and the 3910 about 50.

I addition to snow removal, I'll be using the tractor for mowing (I think I'll be getting a flail), driveway grading, landscape grading, and perhaps some hobby farming in next few years. Seven of my twelve acres are brush and every kind of weed known to mankind that I'd like to turn into a rural lawn. My soil is soggy mush in the spring and something near concrete after a summer dry spell.

I like the looks of the 4610, but according to tractordata, it has a cat 2 three-point hitch, and I'm a little concerned about acquiring implements without setting me back a heck of lot more than the $1k difference in initial tractor cost. I plan on acquiring a flail mower, back-blade, and box scraper, plus whatever I'll need to turn my pasture into something resembling a lawn.

What do you think?

I don't think you can go wrong for your stated purposes with either model tractor. The 10 Series Fords are great machines. They both have the 3 cylinder Ford engines which are virtually bullet proof. The standard transmission is the 8x2 with a synchromesh/column shift offered as an option.

I have an '82 4610 with a FEL and it's been a work horse on our ranch especially before we bought our NH TD95D. The 4610 hitch system is actuually set up for both Cat I and Cat II and you can generally adapt any Cat I equipment to Cat II hitches with adapter bushings. I have what I call a "half breed" top link. It's Cat II on the tractor end and Cat I on the other for my Cat I equipment. The lift arm balls in are interchangable and you can get both Cat I and Cat II sizes.

You'll really want to have some remote hydraulic outlets on any tractor get to add to it's versatility.

Whether the two machines you speak of are right for you can only be determined by you after a careful examination and operating test.

However either model, if in reasonable condition, will suit your stated needs, in my opinion.

Last edited:
   / Newbie needs advice-3910 vs. 4610 #5  
4610 is a way better deal it only ways a little more because it has the better front axle than the 3910 which helps with the loader and it is the same size as the 3910 so if needing for loader work teh 4610 is the way to go