Buying Advice Looking into getting a Bale Wagon

/ Looking into getting a Bale Wagon #1  

aj2n

Tractor
New Holland TL80
Hey guys been looking around for self loading bale wagon. Just looking for any kind of advice and input you guys have as far as what to look for as far as condition, and kinda along what i should pay for one. Not interested in the self propelled lines, just the pto driven.

Thanks

/ Looking into getting a Bale Wagon #2  
My 1012 has been the real savior for my operation because there's just me to get the hay in. Once the stacks are at the barn the neighbors come down and we put it up in the mow. I also am able to quickly pick it up and deliver it right out of the field to a ranch just down the road. It also makes a very good temporary hay storage trailer for the times when rain is imminent and you want to get a load in and under cover before it gets wet. I usually sell a wagon load at a time from Craigslist . It's 56 bales make a good pickup truck load sale.

They can be a little fussy on bale size/length. Weight doesn't matter at all unless they are VERY light. I added a caster wheel onto the pickup head so it floats with the ground level along furrows. I also added a hydraulic lift on the head so I can get thru gates and driveways more easily. It also helps to shake a bale once in a while if it doesn't crawl along the first table.

Mine has single bale self unload (which I never use) and can pick up stacks for relocation (which I also never use). They don't need much HP to run but the hitch weight is very high so you need some front ballast on a light CUT (like my 1070).

You will need to acquire a 1/2 turn chute for the baler so the bales are dropped edge up in order to work with the stacker chute. Mine is the 56 bale model but you can bring 64 home with 8 extras on the 2nd table. I use some old hose washers on the fender handle to keep track of how many rows have been picked up. As you fly along, it fills up pretty quickly.

This year I did not double windrow the hay before baling so that prduces more rows but less bales per row. That means you have more stacker travel to get a field in. Next year I'll go back to double windrows and 1/2 the stacker travel time.

Other than a few issues with the push off feet (used to send the stacker away from the dropped load), its idiot proof. Just keep all the rollers, hinges and chains oiled and it will run reliably.