7740 worth & PTO question..

/ 7740 worth & PTO question.. #1  

Sleepr71

Tractor
New Holland
I recently looked at a mid-90's 7740 SL 12 speed 2wd cab tractor with ~6500 hrs on it. Engine is strong & smooth (no smoking/blowby/noises noted) & transmission/clutch felt fine.Cab is clean..but A/C isn't working(all parts are there & they claim it worked last year:D).Tires are good. My main worries are the hrs(6500 sounds like a lot to me:confused:) and I have a question about the PTO on these tractors..as I've never owned a NH tractor.
The PTO engagement was via a round knob on the Rt side of the cab. We had a 10ft Bushog attached to test it out when I viewed it.When I pressed down & turned it to engage it..the PTO shaft would slowly start spinning..slowly ramping up speed,then..after maybe 10 seconds it would fully lock in/engage. I never noticed it slipping/dis-engaging or anything while I ran the tractor(mowing) Is this normal..or signs of a slipping/worn out PTO clutch..which = big $$ to replace? Any guesstimates/advice about the PTO,or tractor value?? Thanks ahead,Sleepr71

/ 7740 worth & PTO question.. #2  
I recently looked at a mid-90's 7740 SL 12 speed 2wd cab tractor with ~6500 hrs on it. Engine is strong & smooth (no smoking/blowby/noises noted) & transmission/clutch felt fine.Cab is clean..but A/C isn't working(all parts are there & they claim it worked last year:D).Tires are good. My main worries are the hrs(6500 sounds like a lot to me:confused:) and I have a question about the PTO on these tractors..as I've never owned a NH tractor.
The PTO engagement was via a round knob on the Rt side of the cab. We had a 10ft Bushog attached to test it out when I viewed it.When I pressed down & turned it to engage it..the PTO shaft would slowly start spinning..slowly ramping up speed,then..after maybe 10 seconds it would fully lock in/engage. I never noticed it slipping/dis-engaging or anything while I ran the tractor(mowing) Is this normal..or signs of a slipping/worn out PTO clutch..which = big $$ to replace? Any guesstimates/advice about the PTO,or tractor value?? Thanks ahead,Sleepr71

i have seen some of the tractors with around 10k to 12k hours on them if maintaned correctly i will last awhile

the pto is working correctly that is the feathering of the pto clutchs so it does just slam into gear

with out seeing pictures of the tractor it will be hard to tell the value

/ 7740 worth & PTO question.. #3  
I personally would be happy with a 7740 with those sort of hours if it had been maintained well and hadn't been abused, their are 6640's and 7740's over here that have done 10k hours without too many dramas, I think they are a good solid unit

/ 7740 worth & PTO question.. #4  
Hi, i own a 7740 SLE with 5K hours and the PTO engages fully after 2 seconds maybe... I guess it's normal, but 10 s seems like a lot

/ 7740 worth & PTO question.. #5  
My 7740SL engages within 2-5 seconds feathering in and will run fine for approximately 45 minutes and then it will wind down. Changed fluid and filters with no change. Ambient temperature has no affect. Does not seem to be slipping for the first 45 minutes as I can mow full speed in thick grass but no matter what it is going to wind down after 45 minutes. If I stop and wait a minute it will speed back up and run full speed for a few minutes before slowing down again. Any ideas??

/ 7740 worth & PTO question.. #6  
sounds like your pto is getting ready to go out completely.