Tractor
    New Holland

Default 7740 worth & PTO question..

I recently looked at a mid-90's 7740 SL 12 speed 2wd cab tractor with ~6500 hrs on it. Engine is strong & smooth (no smoking/blowby/noises noted) & transmission/clutch felt fine.Cab is clean..but A/C isn't working(all parts are there & they claim it worked last year).Tires are good. My main worries are the hrs(6500 sounds like a lot to me) and I have a question about the PTO on these tractors..as I've never owned a NH tractor.
    The PTO engagement was via a round knob on the Rt side of the cab. We had a 10ft Bushog attached to test it out when I viewed it.When I pressed down & turned it to engage it..the PTO shaft would slowly start spinning..slowly ramping up speed,then..after maybe 10 seconds it would fully lock in/engage. I never noticed it slipping/dis-engaging or anything while I ran the tractor(mowing) Is this normal..or signs of a slipping/worn out PTO clutch..which = big $$ to replace? Any guesstimates/advice about the PTO,or tractor value?? Thanks ahead,Sleepr71

Tractor
    fords

Default Re: 7740 worth & PTO question..

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepr71 View Post
    I recently looked at a mid-90's 7740 SL 12 speed 2wd cab tractor with ~6500 hrs on it. Engine is strong & smooth (no smoking/blowby/noises noted) & transmission/clutch felt fine.Cab is clean..but A/C isn't working(all parts are there & they claim it worked last year).Tires are good. My main worries are the hrs(6500 sounds like a lot to me) and I have a question about the PTO on these tractors..as I've never owned a NH tractor.
    The PTO engagement was via a round knob on the Rt side of the cab. We had a 10ft Bushog attached to test it out when I viewed it.When I pressed down & turned it to engage it..the PTO shaft would slowly start spinning..slowly ramping up speed,then..after maybe 10 seconds it would fully lock in/engage. I never noticed it slipping/dis-engaging or anything while I ran the tractor(mowing) Is this normal..or signs of a slipping/worn out PTO clutch..which = big $$ to replace? Any guesstimates/advice about the PTO,or tractor value?? Thanks ahead,Sleepr71
    i have seen some of the tractors with around 10k to 12k hours on them if maintaned correctly i will last awhile

the pto is working correctly that is the feathering of the pto clutchs so it does just slam into gear

with out seeing pictures of the tractor it will be hard to tell the value

Tractor
    Fords

Default Re: 7740 worth & PTO question..

I personally would be happy with a 7740 with those sort of hours if it had been maintained well and hadn't been abused, their are 6640's and 7740's over here that have done 10k hours without too many dramas, I think they are a good solid unit
    1977 Ford 6600 w/Ford 401 Engine, 1968 Ford 3000 Diesel, 1994 Massey Ferguson 375

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail,
    sells everything at wholesale and pays the freight both ways. John F. Kennedy

Tractor
    Ford 7740 SLE, International 844-S

Hi, i own a 7740 SLE with 5K hours and the PTO engages fully after 2 seconds maybe... I guess it's normal, but 10 s seems like a lot