New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same???

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same??? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I would appreciate input from some of you NH drivers or anyone familiar with the Case product line.

Very briefly, I'm in the market for a CUT. I have 10 acres of land, fairly steep, that I recently purchased and will be doing a little bit of everything - clearing, landscaping, installing some underground drainage pipes, putting in some rock walkways, maintaining a 300 ft sloped gravel driveway and some gravel frontage road, bush-hogging, etc., etc.

I've visited most of the CUT dealers in the general proximity of my place including Kubota, New Holland and John Deere. Quitely frankly, up to this point, I've been kind of leaning towards purchasing a Kubota L3130 HST with FEL. Not necessarily because any of the other comparable products are bad, quite the contrary, but mainly because not only was I favorably impressed with the Kubota but also the dealer has been very helpful and patient in working with me, alot more so than the other dealers.

Last week I visited a New Holland dealer to look at and get smart on the TC35D. At a quick glance I liked what I saw, but the dealer didn't impress me at all - couldn't answer all of my questions and certainly wasn't willing to negotiate in price whatsoever! This dealer is the only one in the area so I haven't visited any others, but simply put - he totally turned me off!

Accordingly, and I must admit probably unfairly on my part, I wrote New Holland off. But today an interesting thing happened which is why I'm seeking input via this post.

I accompanied a buddy of mine down to a local Case/IH dealer so he could order a part for his older Farmall row cropper. While he was taking care of business, I browsed around at the Case CUTs. In fact, I didn't even know that Case made CUTs. My first thought was wow - these tractors look almost identical to the New Hollands, except for one big obvious difference they are red instead of blue. A salesman approached me, we started talking and - bingo - hit it off big time! He showed me around the dealership, introduced me to some of the staff - everything was top notch with regard to a sales/client relationship. Finally he showed me the Case DX35 which I was very impressed with. He told me some history with regards to Case and he further explained that New Holland and Case CUTs are the same identical tractor; that is, same manufacturer, same parts, same warranty and so on. The real icing on the cake is that he is willing to cut me a deal on a Case DX35 with FEL that beats the deal I could have gotten on the New Holland TC35D by about $2K. Further, his proposed deal is a few hundred less than I can get locally on a Kubota L3130. And we're talking about a little bigger tractor.

So having said all of this, do any of you know anything about the Case CUTs? Except for the name and color, are they really the same as a New Holland? Please enlighten me if you can. I would be grateful!

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same??? #2  
The Case DX line is the same as NH except they do not have the supersteer option. Was your quote on the DX35 for a hydrostatic transmission (HST)? The TC35D is the "Deluxe" model New Holland with HST and several other additional creature comforts. If the Case dealer quoted you a non-deluxe DX35, $2,000 less might not be a cheaper price. You should maybe compare it to the gear drive TC35. Give us a few more details and you should be able to get all the info you need to make the best decision. There are lots of folks here who will be happy to help you.

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same???
Thanks for responding Jinman. OK, here's the scoop. As I understand it, the D series Case equates to the TC series New Holland. In the "deluxe" line, the DX series Case equates to the TC-D series New Holland. This particular tractor is a DX35 Case which I'm told is the same tractor as the TC35D New Holland. Yes, the DX35 has a hydrostatic transmission which is standard with that model. The initial proposal the dealer has put on the table for me is:

DX35 Case with hydrostatic transmission (standard), foldable ROPS (standard) and R4 tires (upgrade): $15,100

And the FEL, Case Model L160: $3,420

I've compared the specs and dimensions from each of the tractor's brochure booklets and except for just a couple of very slight differences, most all of them are exactly the same. I've also compared the specs and dimensions with the Kubota L3130 I'm interested in, and in most cases the Case DX35 exceed the Kubota. Stands to reason though, we're talking apples and oranges as the DX35 is a larger tractor than the Kubota L3130. Interesting through, one major difference that did stand out, the DX35 3 pt hitch lift capacity is 2,025 lbs compared to the L3130's 3 pt hitch lift capacity rating of 2,650 lbs. I'm not too sure how concerned I should be about that or why that is even the case. You would think the DX35's rating would be higher than the Kubota, hence larger tractor, heavier lift capacity.

Hope this info provides sufficient details.

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same??? #4  
Assuming the Case FEL is the same as the 16LA - it's a "buy!"

The next step up (40hp) has a 3ph capacity of +300lbs.

Mark

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same??? #5  
I wasn't sure of the Case DX designation, but it sounds like you have the handle on that issue. Your price of $18,500 for the tractor with the loader is very good. Now, about the 3PH. I'm not trying to start a "lift-war," but there are many ways of rating 3PH lift. Some specs put the rated lift at the lift arm adapters while others put it 24" behind the lift arms. I believe New Holland rates lift 24" behind the arms and Kubota rates their lift at the lift arm adapters. I'm not sure of this, so please just use this as a point to check when making your decision. I'm sure someone in one of the Kubota forums could answer that question for you. At any rate, with your tractor, I don't think you will have any problem with its lift capacity. What weighs a ton that you'd want to lift? You won't find too many things that are that heavy. A very heavy rotary cutter or boom pole attached to a big load will probably be the heaviest things you'd ever see. You'll have your tractor's front end pointing skyward long before you get to the 3PH maximum lift. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same??? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe New Holland rates lift 24" behind the arms and Kubota rates their lift at the lift arm adapters )</font>

Just looked - Kubota rates theirs 24" behind the lift arms. That was one of the big "to-do"s about the new 30 series - redesigned the 3ph which increases capacity and servicability because of external cylinders.

Mark

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same???
Not sure about compact tractors but they make some of the best construction tractors around, they are probably number 2 or 3 on my list. But why does it look so much like New Holland?

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same??? #8  
MN:

I too looked at the DX line when shopping for CUTs a couple of years ago, but ended up going with NH since Case Dealer down here had just started to carry them.

You touched upon something in your first post which will be very important to you in the years ahead regardless of which color you go with: The relationship and comfort level you have with the dealer will pay dividends down the road. As a newby to CUTs 2 years ago, my dealer has gone above and beyond in helping answer my questions.

IndianaPaul

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same??? #9  
It looks to me as though you've got a darn good price on your DX35 & FEL.

One thing you may want to consider, if the 3 pt lift capacity of the DX35 concerns you: Look at the DX40. With it you get 300# more on the 3 PT hitch, 200# more on the FEL lift capacity, not too mention a 4 cylinder engine (vs. the 3 cyl on the DX35). Back when I was looking at the NH equivalent, the difference in price was a little over $1000, if I recall.

John Mc

/ New Holland TC35D and Case DX35 The Same??? #10  
MNinAR,

I guess color doesn't make much difference to me. Kubota, New Holland, John Deere are all good. And now we can add Case.

The most important thing is your dealer, then I would through in the pricing. If the Case is less than the others comparably then that is where I would go. You like the feel of the New Holland/Case, you like the Case Dealer then that would be my decision. As far as the difference in the 3ph, as said before you will never lift anything close to that anyway.

Case and New Holland come down the same assembly line, have the same specs the only thing you can't get on the Case is the Super-Steer. Unless you are doing a lot of mowing around trees I wouldn't get Super-steer. I have it and it really is only good for mowing.

I was also told once Case is really giving out good prices to get the New Product going for them.

murph