3930, 3910

/ 3930, 3910 #4  
They are not really equivalent at all. The 3910 were in the low 40's PTO horsepower, the T4020 is over 50hp.
The 3910 was a straight Cat 1 hitch, the 4020 is a Cat 2 that is clumsy to convert to Cat 1 with bushings, top link often doesn't fit, etc. And a big difference, on the T4020 you are sitting up on a platform, where the 3910 is a straddle mount.

I agree with whodat, NH doesn't make a utility tractor equivalent to the 3910/30, either in features, refinement or quality.

Does any manufacturer make something close to the 3910/30? I don't know, maybe the MF 2600 series, but even there I doubt if the quality matches up to the older stuff. In my opinion these companies are trying to trade off the old Ford and MF reputation, bringing back names like Workmaster, Farmall, Powerstar, etc or showing a picture of Harry Ferguson alongside a tractor made in Turkey or who knows where.

/ 3930, 3910 #5  
On my 3910 you just pop the balls out to switch between Cat I or II, it is not a problem or hassle at all, or use the Cat II balls with sleeves for Cat I.

/ 3930, 3910 #6  
On my 3910 you just pop the balls out to switch between Cat I or II, it is not a problem or hassle at all, or use the Cat II balls with sleeves for Cat I.
That was exactly my point, with a 3910 things work the way they should and it's easy to switch Cat 1 and Cat 2. Try dealing with one of the "modern" New Holland's that come only with fixed Cat 2 balls on the lift arms and top-link and they give you a few bushings to use for everything Cat 1. First off, the width of the ball in the top-link is too wide to fit between the mast of many Cat 1 implements. The balls in the lift arms are thicker also, and sometimes you can't get the lynch pin into the implement so you have to change to longer pins on the implement. I've got a 35+ year old White/Oliver that's easier to switch from Cat 2 to Cat 1 and hook up than the new tractors; it works like the 3910, pop the balls out or use bushings with no problems. On the 3910 you can work the position control while standing behind the tractor and hooking up. Try doing that on one of the new open station tractors; not so easy. I could go on about the location and ease of use of the draft/position controls but I think you get the picture.

/ 3930, 3910 #10  
That was exactly my point, with a 3910 things work the way they should and it's easy to switch Cat 1 and Cat 2. Try dealing with one of the "modern" New Holland's that come only with fixed Cat 2 balls on the lift arms and top-link and they give you a few bushings to use for everything Cat 1. First off, the width of the ball in the top-link is too wide to fit between the mast of many Cat 1 implements. The balls in the lift arms are thicker also, and sometimes you can't get the lynch pin into the implement so you have to change to longer pins on the implement. I've got a 35+ year old White/Oliver that's easier to switch from Cat 2 to Cat 1 and hook up than the new tractors; it works like the 3910, pop the balls out or use bushings with no problems. On the 3910 you can work the position control while standing behind the tractor and hooking up. Try doing that on one of the new open station tractors; not so easy. I could go on about the location and ease of use of the draft/position controls but I think you get the picture.

Not quite:)

I have both a 3910 and a T4020 both purchased new in their production time periods.
The 3910 is a great tractor and I have personally put over 3,000 hours on it.
The T4020 is bigger, quieter, and uses more diesel per hour than the 3910 for the same functions
with the same implements, but is 4WD which I need for some circumstances.
As far as the 3 pt hitch on the T4020 it came with 2 sets of balls for the lower links and they change in a similar way as the 3910 balls.
There is a "Lift-O-Matic" control on the right fender of the T4020 which has much easier access from the ground than the lift and draft levers on the 3910 from the ground. There is an adjustment cam at the rear of the tractor to adjust the limits of the raise/lower function of the "Lift-O-Matic" and the regular levers can over ride this function.
I have telescopic ends on the lower links of both tractors so extending them and backing so the balls are a little behind the implement
bottom link pins before dismounting the tractor makes the lower link attachment very simple.
I have lots of implements and have no problems with the balls being too thick.
No problem with the center ball being too thick either, but if I did I would adjust the space on the implement yokes.
The only implement that had a problem adapting to the T4020 was an old New Holland 451 sickle bar mower. It uses a top stabilizer
assembly in place of the top link and my dealer threw in an adapter to extend it so the mower angle stayed the same on both tractors.

They are both great tractors, in my opinion, for my purposes, and do what they are designed to do... hard work.:thumbsup: