Picked Up My New TC35D today, BUT...

/ Picked Up My New TC35D today, BUT... #1  

Adam

Tractor
2003 New Holland TC35D
I have been lurking on TBN for a few weeks and the information provided is great. It helped me decide on a TC35D. Actually, I was going to get the TC35, but my Excavating friends talked me into the Hydrostat TC35D. It had 2 hours on it when I got it and now it has 6. I did a little clearing work. I am new to this, so it was more getting aquainted. The time just kind of flew by. The only problem is that I hear a LOT of rattling in the hydraulic system. It is in the pipes at the filter. The dealer says that it is supposed to make that noise, although I am not sure I sufficiently explained it to them. I also heard it scraping really bad once when the rpms were low and the Hydro was in high when I pressed the forward control. Does anyone know if the hydraulic system is supposed to make that noise. It is worse at higher rpms and it is not consistent. Sticking a board to the pipe, I could feel the knocking as well as hear it.

Thanks,
Adam

BTW,
It is a TC35D with a 16LA loader with a 72" HD bucket with cutting bar, 758C backhoe with 18" bucket, 72" BH MBX72 box blade, and a L72 Woods rake.

/ Picked Up My New TC35D today, BUT... #2  
Re: Pciked Up My New TC35D today, BUT...

You will find that some manufactuers hydrostatic transmissions have more whine then others. This is not unusal, what you describe however certainly sounds odd. Scraping and knocking are not internal transmission sounds. I would double check with the dealer and really express your concern. Other then checking the fluid levels, theres only so much you can do and I think your doing it. Give the dealer another call. If he insists it's normal, it would be a good time to re-verify your warranty coverage with him.

/ Picked Up My New TC35D today, BUT... #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I also heard it scraping really bad once when the rpms were low and the Hydro was in high when I pressed the forward control )</font>

You will make a LOT of noise when you select a high gear and have low revs. You are lugging the engine - it's like trying to move your car from a stoplight in 4th gear. I find that I need a minimum of 1200RPM to use TurtleII and 1500 to use RabbitII.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I hear a LOT of rattling in the hydraulic system)</font>

At high RPMs 2000+ there is some rattling by my left foot. I think it sounds like empty shopping carts in the distance. Anyway, I understand it to be normal for the Class III boomers.

If in doubt, maybe you can stop by the dealer and drive another to reassure yourself (easier than hauling the tractor.)

Mark

/ Picked Up My New TC35D today, BUT...

Thanks for the quick replies and the good information. Maybe I am overreacting a little. I am considering changing the Hydraulic fluid and filters to check for metal shavings or chips. I expect there will be a little from the normal break-in, but nothing too large. BTW it does seem to work fine and I am happy with my decision to get the TC35D. The loader operation is real nice. The backhoe will require some getting used to.

Thanks again,
Adam

/ Picked Up My New TC35D today, BUT... #5  

Adam, above the hydro filter is a small check valve with a steel ball and spring in it. Most users of the 35D, 40D, 45D series report this "rattling" sound. It was pretty annoying to me at first (and I figured, why can't NH design this not to make such a sound) now I'm pretty much used to it. You can search some posts from a year or so ago and get more details. JInman posted a pic from the manual which showed the device in great detail. The other problem sounds like your just lugging the engine-tranny. Mine makes some pretty scary sounds too when in low RPM's and I try to move. If you step up the RPM's and it not longer makes the noise, I'd consider it normal.

/ Picked Up My New TC35D today, BUT... #6  

Adam---the rattling noise in the lines is normal---i had mine back at the dealer with 2 hours on it also---you can even feel the rattles when you hold the metal lines above the filter. This noise is VERY annoying , but you do get used to it. New Holland should be able to fix the problem---I complained to NH and I wish everyone would. If I were looking at buying the tractor used and heard that noise --- I would not buy it. I think it really hurts the resale possibilities--but i am not looking to sell. Mine is the 40D.

/ Picked Up My New TC35D today, BUT... #7  

"If in doubt, maybe you can stop by the dealer and drive another to reassure yourself (easier than hauling the tractor.)"

Great suggestion. I was not aware that NH's hydrostats did this. You should have the RPMS up anyway, especially in high if not for any other reason then to avoid lugging the diesel, especially a brand new one. Rat...