Buying Advice Ford 550 loader backhoe questions

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #21  
Why not just buy an operator's manual and be done with it?
Choose Items

Why not? well lets start with the first reason... it costs $325.. LOL. If everyone just ordered repair manuals there would be no reason to have such an awesome forum as this one. Second reason the manuals were written in the late 70's. I am sure there are better options and ways of making repairs and lubricating today. Third reason I enjoy asking questions and reading other peoples opinions and experiences so I can learn from them.

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #22  
Why not? well lets start with the first reason... it costs $325.. LOL. If everyone just ordered repair manuals there would be no reason to have such an awesome forum as this one. Second reason the manuals were written in the late 70's. I am sure there are better options and ways of making repairs and lubricating today. Third reason I enjoy asking questions and reading other peoples opinions and experiences so I can learn from them.

You have lousy reading comprehension skills for a "very good mechanic".
The English language OPERATOR'S MANUAL (form 42055010 ) can be downloaded in pdf form for under $26. Service procedures for a 1970's vintage machine differ little now from when the machine was built. The Hydraulic system, transmission, and power steering still call for Ford (now New Holland) 134 hydraulic oil. Engine oils have improved, but the viscosity recommendations remain the same. None of this is rocket science, but the information is out there and what you are asking for doesn't cost $325.

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #26  
I'm sure.... So listen FIATALLIS and FORD (now New Holland) produced the same 550 TLB in 1978?

With every post you prove how little you really know. FiatAllis has nothing to do with New Holland or Ford.
Maybe you should get a manual for a B95C backhoe and see how much of that info applies to the 550. That would be current information and all; modern methods, etc.
It isn't necessary for you to continually attack me simply because you don't know the difference between an operator's manual and a service manual.

I'm done with you.

Last edited:
   / Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #27  
With every post you prove how little you really know. FiatAllis has nothing to do with New Holland or Ford.
Maybe you should get a manual for a B95C backhoe and see how much of that info applies to the 550. That would be current information and all; modern methods, etc.
It isn't necessary for you to continually attack me simply because you don't know the difference between an operator's manual and a service manual.

I'm done with you.

First of I am not attacking you. I already said that I know nothing about the Ford 550 or diesel mechanics and that is why I am here to learn. I assure you I am very knowledgeable on many other mechanical fronts including the difference between 2 different manuals. If you don’t wanna be helpful that’s fine. Ignore my posts, be done with me, but don’t lash out at me because I am posting in this forum. You sir are the one that sent me a link and product number for a FiatAllis owners manual. We are clearly talking about a Ford 550. In the future keep your insults to yourself. Didn’t your mama teach you if you ain’t got nothin’ nice to say don’t say nothin’ at all?

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #28  
Folks if you are going to own old stuff you will need the OEM shop manuals based on my experience. I do own 7 motor vehicles and the OEM shop manuals for each. For the tractor and backhoe I have both the factory produced shop manuals and equally important to me the parts manuals. Often the exploded parts manuals are better than the shop manuals if you do not need PSI requirements at a test port, etc.

Even with the manuals in hand it can take me many rereads and trips to the machine to get things straight in my thick head like how to remove the metal screen sump pick up filter. :) 70% of the time I have to train the shop on how to fix issues I can not deal with very well under the shade tree which I could not do without the shop manuals. Now days I find shops with 35 year old techs often do not have factory training on 35-40 year old equipment. :D

Because of some tool and die background and I am paying the bill they actually are quite trainable. They are better with stuff with computer ports. :)

I have given as little as $25 off of E-bay for a real factory shop manual that is still readable through the grease to as much as $300 for a set. The risk for damaging $$$ parts/systems is real so manuals are CHEAP no matter the price. :thumbsup:

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #29  
First of I am not attacking you. I already said that I know nothing about the Ford 550 or diesel mechanics and that is why I am here to learn. I assure you I am very knowledgeable on many other mechanical fronts including the difference between 2 different manuals. If you don’t wanna be helpful that’s fine. Ignore my posts, be done with me, but don’t lash out at me because I am posting in this forum. You sir are the one that sent me a link and product number for a FiatAllis owners manual. We are clearly talking about a Ford 550. In the future keep your insults to yourself. Didn’t your mama teach you if you ain’t got nothin’ nice to say don’t say nothin’ at all?

I sent you a link the search page for all New Holland (and by default) Ford operators, service, and parts catalogs. I have posted the identical link dozens of times on multiple discussion forums such as this. If that isn't where you were directed to, I apologise.

/ Ford 550 loader backhoe questions #30  
Gale,
I have the shop manual and just ordered the operators manual. I also find them to be a very valuable tool. However, I just thought since this is a tractor forum free for tractor discussion that I would throw a few feelers out there and see what peoples opinions were to my questions. Never did I think that as a new member or just a member for that matter I would be insulted and ridiculed for asking a question, be it silly or stupid in ones opinion. I thought about leaving your forum, but have since changed my mind because I shouldn’t let one bad apple spoil the bunch.