Torn Between Powerstar 4.75 and TD5050

/ Torn Between Powerstar 4.75 and TD5050 #1  

mundamanu

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40A, Ford 8600, MF65
Hello All,

I am having trouble deciding which tractor to buy.

Basically, a 4.75 would replace my TC-40 and become my utility/chore tractor, along with some tillage work like discing. If I got the 4.75, that would leave me with a Ford 8600 for plowing (4x14) and running the 15' batwing mower. However, the 8600 is getting tired. It would also leave me with an MF 65 that is in good running shape that is basically my dedicated manure spreader.

If, on the other hand, I went with the TD5050, I would trade in the 8600 and the MF 65 (I might keep the 65, depending on what I could get for it), and keep the TC40 as my light duty/tight spaces chore tractor. The TD5050 would become my primary tillage and batwing mower tractor, and it would do heavier chore work and carry stuff (water and feed, mostly) on hills.

Either tractor would be ROPS, FWD, Loader, 2 sets of remotes, loaded tires, plus rear weights on the 4.75 (I use forks to carry things on hills).

On the one hand, I think about getting the 4.75. I can run the 8600 into the ground and pick up a good serviceable 100hp tractor for $10k when the time comes. The TC-40 has many years left in it, and having the Massey on the manure spreader is certainly handy.

On the other hand, I think why not dump the tired 8600 and the Massey and get a nice new TD5050. I will still have the TC-40 on the manure spreader for spring barn clean out.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I really can't make up my mind.

/ Torn Between Powerstar 4.75 and TD5050 #2  
If the 8600 is getting to the end of the line I would look at replacing it first if you can make due with the TC40. The 4.75 is a considerable step up compared to the TC40.

/ Torn Between Powerstar 4.75 and TD5050 #3  
Hello All,

I am having trouble deciding which tractor to buy.

Basically, a 4.75 would replace my TC-40 and become my utility/chore tractor, along with some tillage work like discing. If I got the 4.75, that would leave me with a Ford 8600 for plowing (4x14) and running the 15' batwing mower. However, the 8600 is getting tired. It would also leave me with an MF 65 that is in good running shape that is basically my dedicated manure spreader.

If, on the other hand, I went with the TD5050, I would trade in the 8600 and the MF 65 (I might keep the 65, depending on what I could get for it), and keep the TC40 as my light duty/tight spaces chore tractor. The TD5050 would become my primary tillage and batwing mower tractor, and it would do heavier chore work and carry stuff (water and feed, mostly) on hills.

Either tractor would be ROPS, FWD, Loader, 2 sets of remotes, loaded tires, plus rear weights on the 4.75 (I use forks to carry things on hills).

On the one hand, I think about getting the 4.75. I can run the 8600 into the ground and pick up a good serviceable 100hp tractor for $10k when the time comes. The TC-40 has many years left in it, and having the Massey on the manure spreader is certainly handy.

On the other hand, I think why not dump the tired 8600 and the Massey and get a nice new TD5050. I will still have the TC-40 on the manure spreader for spring barn clean out.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I really can't make up my mind.
If the 8600 is getting to the end of the line I would look at replacing it first if you can make due with the TC40. The 4.75 is a considerable step up compared to the TC40.
Like Robert says there's a big difference between a TC40 and a T4.75. I agree with what he says. If you can really pick up a good 100 hp in your area for $10K then go ahead and do it. You seem to like several tractors for different tasks and you can always deal with the 8600 later, either fix or sell.

I think you will also find a big difference between a TD5050 and a good old 8600. An 8600 probably weighs several thousand pounds more than a TD5050, the 2WD probably is as heavy or heavier than a FWD 5050. 8600 is 401 cid, the 5050 is 270ish something, although it is turbo. Is your 8600 Dual Power? I know a few of them had it and you won't find that in a 5050.

Seriously, if you can get a good 100hp tractor for 10K I would go ahead and do it. It's the cheapest option and will give you the most flexibility. With the money saved you may be able to do some repair to the 8600 or look for a used loader for it. Yes, the 5050 will be "nice new" but it's still kind of a bare-bones equipped Fiat design. Do you leave the loader on the TC full-time? If you get a loader on the bigger new tractor you may end up swapping it on and off. Good luck in figuring what works best for you.