Newbie--contemplating purchase of used Ford.

/ Newbie--contemplating purchase of used Ford. #1  

frankv

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5525, Century 3045, Farmall A
Hi,

I posted this in the general forums and thought I should probably post it here...

I've lurked and read as much as I could this weekend. Looks like alot of discussion about people buying new with a little bit on the older Fords.

I have an old Bolens HT20 with johnson loader and tiller and want something with a faster/stronger loader. I'ld also like something a little heavier/larger to move snow in my area as the Bolens is many times outgunned by the snow. I don't need my tractor to cut grass as I've got a nice toro Z-turn mower.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined so not afraid of the basic engine repairs.

OK so I've looked at a Ford 2000 with a ford 730 loader on it(2800 hours). 3 cyl diesel. The owner did not know the year. Says around 71. The guy wants $6500 and won't budge. He claims it's in great shape mechanically and this is why he won't budge, he claims I won't find one in nicer shape (good salesman...but I don't know if he's bullshitting or not). I drove it and it seems to run fine. Started right up on first crank. (Winter starting would be a concern for me) No leaks that I could see visibly. Loader seemed very strong and was much faster than what I am used to. I don't know how to really evaluate these tractors though. I lifted the 3 pt hitch, but need to go back and spin up the PTO. He claims some Fords have problems with the PTO not stopping and this one is perfect.

I also am looking at a ford 4000 diesel with 3300 hours on it tonight. No loader. Was used to hay fields and prior to that pull small airplanes at Hanscom air force base. He's asking $4500 but is flexible. I priced up a new loader at Chappell tractor (Sales guy not very helpful over the phone, but the parts guy way very helpful) and they quoted between $5k and $6k with hydraulics. Seems like this one may not be worth the extra expense of adding a loader unless I can find a used loader that in good condition and comparable to the Ford 730 on the Ford 2000.

Any advice or suggestion..please? I'ld really like to get something soon as I have some stone to move around to raise an area for a greenhouse soon. And if this tractor is that good a deal I don't want to loose it.

I don't really want to spend the $13-$18k for a new one although a smaller compact would do me fine. I don't seem to see many on the used market for around the price of these fords?

Thanks!
Frank

/ Newbie--contemplating purchase of used Ford. #2  
Frank - That was me replying both times up in the general Buying/Pricing forum - I found a picture of something similar to the 2000 you are looking at and thought I'd toss it up so we'd all know what we were looking at. The 1700 in the second reply is what we finally bought.

I was going to add in my first reply that if you have time, you should hold out and see what's out there. Time and a little looking will educate you really quick. I missed a couple tractors because I waited but there are plenty of them out there. When you look at the "next" one, the previous one you thought was the only one for you doesn't seem as great. Sounds like you are already finding this out for yourself.

Our 1700 has manual steering which is tougher when maneuvering at low speeds but not too bad. I think that 1710 may have power steering; it may even have 3 cylinders (the 1700 has 2). It may also be 4wd which you'd like in Winter on a lighter tractor like the 1710.

Keep us posted on the search - I think we all have fun going along for the "ride".

/ Newbie--contemplating purchase of used Ford.
Thanks Mark,

Your absolutely right about learning more as I look at more tractors. The 4000 I looked at last night seemed to have been taken care of better, but did not seem as strong as the 2000. No leaks though. Pto delayed in moving, but eventually did and 3ph was slower than the 2000's. But no loader so I'm gonna have to forgo it.

I am starting to think the 2000 might be in better shape except for the oil leak. I imagine the oil leak could be simple or complicated. The loader in the way seems to complicate repairs. The loader (ford 730) was very strong also. I had a hard time moving it slowly as I am so used to my small, weak johnson driven of the hydraulics of my bolens. I have the serial number of the 2000 if anyone know the year..( SN: c347482 model: b1013c engine:2d14b).

I'm going to look at the 1710 this afternoon. It's 4wd 3cyl diesel with a 770a loader. I'm gonna try to attach the image if I can. It looks a little banged up. Supposedly taken on a trade from a landscaper.

Thx,
Frank

00000247.jpg

/ Newbie--contemplating purchase of used Ford. #4  
A friend of mine had an early model 1710, his only complaint was the power steering and the loader on his
ran off the hydraulic pump which made steering and loader work slow. I used one several times loading
coal at the store that sold pea coal, it seemed to work fine.

I know a person with a 1986 1710 w/fel with around 500 hrs. on it he said is for sale for around 9K
loacated in southeastern Vermont.

Randy

Randy,

I read the same complaint on sbtractor. They claimed the front end was not built strong enough for heavy FEL work. Supposedly a ford service tech said this.

Hopefully I can load up the bucket when I test ride the 1710.

Vermont's not to far...Can I have the contact info for this person or do you want to have them call me.

Thx,
Frank

ok here's the update from my day of tractor hunting. Needless to say it was frustrating. After calling the dealer yesterday I left work early and headed up an hour away to look at the 1710. When I got there he told me I just missed it. THey lent it out to someone getting warranty work. I was PO'd.

In any case I looked at what they had. I drove a 1910 with no loader. Looked and ran good, but they want $6500 and it will cost at least another $3500 for a loader.

Then I went and looked at a yellow 3400 with 730 loader that I saw in the want ad. Rebuilt engine. Engine real clean. Ran OK, but seriously in need of paint job. $7100.

I think I am finding that the 2000-5000 series is more of a tractor than I need. Maybe if I saw a really clean one I would change my mind. I really liked the size of the 1910. I may go back on Saturday an look at the 1710 if I can get over the fact the the salesman screwed me. I guess if I had a warranty claim I would have wanted the same thing and can understand.

Here's a picture of the 1910 I looked at today. No idea what the loader would look like for $3500.

Attachments

• 284895-1910.jpg
    284895-1910.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 257
   / Newbie--contemplating purchase of used Ford. #7  
I have a 1710 4WD with FEL paid $8000 a few years back
Has 1575 hours as of last nite .Had to change water pump and starter solenoid acts up on occasion but I have no complaints about the tractor. The FEL is an off brand but it works OK It is not skid steer fast or as quick as a newer tractor but as long as you are not going to do only loader work with it I think you should be OK

Bartman

/ Newbie--contemplating purchase of used Ford. #8  
Tractor condition will dictate price. I think the loader price you were quoted was a tad expensive. the 2000 might be ok.. again.. depending on condition.

The pto problem as I have seen it is on some of the units with independent pto.. most notable, the bigger ag tractors.. like a 7700 or 8000.

The 4000 sounds beat, as it should be much more of a tractor than a 2000.

Soundguy

/ Newbie--contemplating purchase of used Ford. #9  
I own both a Ford 2000 and a 4000. The 2000 is gas, the 4000 diesel. The 4000 is easily twice the tractor the 2000 is and easier to operate as well. Power steering, independent PTO, an 8 speed transmission (as opposed to a 4 speed), and an extra 43 cubic inches turn a tough job for the 2000 into an easy one on the 4000. Both are 3 cylinder models from the early 70's and saw their share of abuse before they got to me.

Admittedly my 2000 is probably much more basic than the one you're considering, but if yours doesn't have power steering I'd pass it up for loader work. Ditto if it only has a 4 speed transmission, though most have at least the 8 speed.

Can't understand why your 4000 seems to lack muscle. Maybe too much low power running on Jet-A carboned things up. This should definitely be looked into before commiting. Used as an aircraft mover, a dropoff in power may not have concerned the airbase guys. As long as the tractor would get the plane down the ramp, it would be good enough. The stuff everyone wanted to work on had wings. Not every Airframe & Powerplant mechanic appreciates tractors.

/ Newbie--contemplating purchase of used Ford. #10  
The 2000 you are looking at is a 1972 model. They were made from 62-75 (62-64 were the 4 cylinder, & are a very different looking tractor, much like the 100 series). With 3 cyl engine, it has 31 pto hp, cost under $4000 new. Today they sell for $1500- 5500 at auction, with $3400 being average.That's without loader. I'd say the price is quite high, but may be fair in your region, I donno. Better be the 8-speed for that money, and darn nice shape.

A 1710 doesn't have the best hydraulics, but work well & are good solid machines. I just got a 1720.

The very expensive loader they want to sell you new for the 19?0 tractor will look _just_ like the loader on the tractor next to it in your photo. Other companies make loaders that work fine for $2500 or so new, and if you don't need the loader _today_, you can locate used Ford loaders for $1500-2000 - it can take some searching.

A Ford 4000 is certainly twice the tractor of a 2000. Something wrong if the 2000 outperforms it. You can find cheaper/ better loader options than you have been quoted for the loader on a 4000.....

www.ytmag.com has a wealth of info on older tractors, altho looks like you are getting good info here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Folks here tend to look for new, while at ytmag they tend to look for good used, which seems to be your direction. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul