Ford 1900

/ Ford 1900 #1  

msjanket

Silver Member
I'm looking at a Ford 1900, 3 cylinder Shibaura diesel, tomorrow. About 900 hours, rubber a bit tired with some cracking.

Question: Are parts starting to become a nightmare for this model yet? Obviously, parts costs are outrageous now, but for the foreseeable 6-10 year period, is a reasonable supply of parts a reasonable possibility?

I've heard some good about these old models,is this particular model a solid performer?

thanks

/ Ford 1900 #2  
I'm looking at a Ford 1900, 3 cylinder Shibaura diesel, tomorrow. About 900 hours, rubber a bit tired with some cracking.

Question: Are parts starting to become a nightmare for this model yet? Obviously, parts costs are outrageous now, but for the foreseeable 6-10 year period, is a reasonable supply of parts a reasonable possibility?

I've heard some good about these old models,is this particular model a solid performer?

thanks

You are correct about the parts that might be difficult to find. I have a 1700 that I had for 7-8 years that had 900 hrs exactly like yours. I'm 3rd owner and second owner knew the first owner. They have not done anything special to it other than engine oil change and kept it in the barn. They have not even changed hyd oil in it in the last 30 years. All of that said if it is not an abused machine 900 hrs is not much on it. Consider the price, I bought mine for $3100 lasted me up to now (8 years) and even it it dies a major death I have already broken even. if the parts are not major , like head, crankshaft and major engine components then the rest not too difficult to find. On Fleabay you can easily find all clutch components, alternator, water pump and basic wear item. Lubricants are ready available including filters. Can easily cross reference and find Wix or even Fram filter that would fit. Electronics are simple and if you know the basic and have basic tools most diagnostic can be done with a test light or a simple ohm meter. NH website has much good diagrams about the rig. if you are mechanically inclined, have grasp of diesel engine and basic hydraulic you'll be okay as long as you have (heat dissipation, cooling) and lubrication (crankcase oil) under control and the rest can be done without major cost. Belts, hoses can be found or matched with some leg work. The guys that have 1900 here all like them. it is good solid tractor if it is not previously abused. What other info do you have about it? any pics? does the hydraulic work? cost of hyd pump will be very prohibitive so you want to make sure it works well, overhauling the pump for 1700/1900 is not very difficult and overhaul kit is readily available thru NH dealer. if it does not overheat or engine cease or dropped off of cliff then everything else is pretty doable.

JC,

ps. I have overhauled hyd system including lift piston and hyd pump, all the oil changes including hyd oil and some minor belt and hoses and I know I have not put more than $350 in the last 7y years excluding diesel.

/ Ford 1900 #3  
there are likely plenty more units.. some older.. with better parts support.. etc...