Buying Advice Bushhog 286/Ford 2600

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #11  
I had been looking for a 286 for a long time, and I would pay that price for one in really good condition. I look at it this way, even if the guy won't budge much, and will only go to say 1500 or so, but you want it for 1300 or whatever, do you really want that couple hundred dollars to stop you from having one of the best 6' rotary cutters out there? That cutter will most likely last you a life time. Like I said, if I was still looking, I'd buy it if I were you.
I recently drove 6.5 hrs one way to pick up my new Brown 472 rotary cutter (new to me) which is extremely similar to the 286. A good used (true medium duty) cutter is hard to find.
This is how I got mine home.
i-KpVMXNJ-M.jpg

Last edited:
   / Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #12  
check the tailwheel bushings and fork.. etc.. make sure it has not had the top rotted out.. etc. normal stuff.

gearbox and whatnot is the big issue..

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #13  
How did you make out regarding the Bush Hog?

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600
I told the guy the night befor I was going to go by after work and check it out. I left work a little early so I could make it there in enough time to see it in the daylight. I called him and he wasn't available so I just sent him a text that I coming by and when I was halfway there he sent me a text that some one bought it an hour earlier. He then called me and told me the person gave him his asking price. Man I was tweaked because I had the money in my hand and would have given him his asking price but just told him I guess it wasn't meant to be. I could just kick myself for not taking the morning off and heading up there. The good thing is now I actually have the cash set aside so if I ever see a deal like that again I can jump on it asap. I really appreciate everyone's input and will keep you updated. This whole thing was hinging on the sale of my expedition and it just took a few more days than I wanted to close the deal. Oh well, better luck next time :) Btw, Piston that is one nice Brown cutter you got there. I saw one of their tree cutters the other day on one of the road crew tractors and it looked bad a@@. Take care.

Justin

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #15  
Well that sucks to here! Man that's too bad that deal got away from you. That cutter appeared to be in really good shape. One thing my dad always tells me is "you can't win em all buddy".

I don't think that price was a "steal" by any means though, it's just that good condition 286's don't show up a lot.

Well, check out the thread I posted about heavy duty rotary cutters on the used market. It has some really well known models to search for.

Good luck in your searches and keep us posted!

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #16  
yep.. if I look at somethig.. want it and go back for it. 99% of te time it's gone right before i got there.. ;)