Buying Advice Bushhog 286/Ford 2600

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #1  

jacain

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 2600 Ford 3910
Hello everyone,

I have two questions. First, does $1600 for a "like new" Bushhog 286 medium duty mower sound alright? Second, am I going to be able to run this thing with my Ford 2600 diesel. I really want a medium duty bushhog as I plan to eventually upgrade to a 50+ PTO HP tractor in the future. I will be using it to clear 1.5 to 2" saplings and brush initially and want something that will hold up as I may be purchasing more property in the future that will need to be cleared for pasture or trails. Any advise you all may have would be great! Thanks in advance.

Justin

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #2  
Just giving my :2cents: on the 286 question. Here are some for sale http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/li...OG&ETID=1&Mdltxt=286&MdlX=Contains&notfound=1 with similar prices. What is like new ? Was it sitting on dealer lot and paint faded some(no big deal). Or was it actually used in cutting situation ? I'd offer a couple hundred less and see if they accept. If just stock left over on dealers lot I think it's a good deal.
one great B-hog IMO. If you buy check your gearbox oil and make sure your pto shaft goes home with it. ;)

Boone

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600
Thanks a lot Bullbreaker and RickB. I really appreciate the feedback. I will give the guy a call and see what the history is on the unit and see if be can send me some picks. I will let you know what I find out.

Justin

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #5  
ditto that. I'd for sure ballast it.

a 2600 should swing a 6' mower fine..

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600
Soundguy,

Thanks for reinforcing what RickB said. That makes me feel more confident in purchasing a 6 footer for my tractor. I plan on ballasting with a few 100 pound plates (barbell). Will post setup once it is fabricated. Looks like the bushhog is a few years old and paint is a little faded but deck looks good. Missing rubber around the rear of unit also. Here is the CL posting. BUSH HOG MODEL 286 BUSHOG It is about an hour from my house and I am having a hard time lining up a way to transport it. Need to rent 7 ft wide trailer to get it home but everything I have found online from the equipment rental places are 6 ft. :( U-Haul has car/equipment trailer but not sure they will let me hook it to my expedition. Thanks again everyone for the feedback I will let you know what happens.

Justin

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #7  
got a deckover trailer? 6' is fine.. just lay 2 4x4 across it and span it.

heck.. i've loded them canted in the bed of a truck making sure the blades aren't pressed.

lotsa options.

soundguy

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600 #9  
looks like the seller alread has it propepd on 4x4.. i bet a wheel and deal would let them go with t he mower for transport.. :)

/ Bushhog 286/Ford 2600
Just thought I would post an update. Had to move into my new house this weekend so was not able to go check this thing out in person. I also just sold my Expedition so I have the cash in hand and the gentleman said it is still available. I am going to head up after work and possibly make an offer on it. BTW, found out that best friends parents have Chevy 3500 dually and car trailer so I am good to go on transporting this thing. Lets hope everything under the deck looks good. Will also check gearbox oil and look for any leaks. I guess the other thing to look for would be unacceptable gearbox shaft backlash. If there is anything else I am missing please feel free to let me know. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Justin