Seems like a good deal, but...

/ Seems like a good deal, but... #1  

Kenn1320

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS2030H
Found this tractor locally and it seems like a good deal. The tilt steering and seat repairs could likely be put off for awhile. The hydrostat pedal not returning to neutral has me concerned. If these were easy/cheap fixes, wouldnt ya think the dealer would do them to increase odds of selling this tractor? Any guesses what could be wrong with the pedal?

NEW HOLLAND 1630 TRACTOR WITH LOADER, 1998, 27 HORSEPOWER, 4WD, REMOTE VALVE, $7995 PLUS TAX. OR BEST REASONABLE OFFER.
7308 LOADER SERIAL NO. YS296291 INCLUDED - SOME REPAIRS NEEDED TO SEAT
TILT AND TELESCOPIC STEERING DOES NOT WORK
HYDRO PEDAL NOT RETURNING TO NEUTRAL
SELLING AS IS OR REPAIRED AT ADDITIONAL COST.

NEW HOLLAND TRACTOR MODEL 1630

/ Seems like a good deal, but... #2  
Pass, new trans time.

/ Seems like a good deal, but... #3  
Does the tractor look taken care of over the years?
Can you take test spin?

/ Seems like a good deal, but... #4  
Since it says "repaired at additional cost", I'd have to ask how much for it after you fix everything and gave a 30 day warranty?

/ Seems like a good deal, but... #5  
The tilt steering can be repaired for around $100 if you do the labor yourself. It's just in need of a steering tilt cylinder replacement. The pedals not returning to center is either a lubrication issue or a minor adjustment. Make your best deal if you want the tractor, but I don't see anything wrong with it from the description. What they failed to say was the number of hours on the proofmeter. You want a tractor with the instrument panel working and know the number of hours on the tractor. From the photo, the tractor looks nice and the loader bucket is not all bent up. That's normally a good sign. If the bucket looks abused, then most likely the tractor is too.

I think even with the dealer fixing the stated problems, you would be looking at a repair cost of around $300 or less (probably less). However, if the instrument panel is not fully working, that could be very expensive in the range of $500 plus.

/ Seems like a good deal, but...
Thanks for the info guys. The meter shows 3892 hrs on it. Ive looked at several tractors and my biggest problem is I dont want to spend the money. lol

/ Seems like a good deal, but... #7  
I'd pass on a 4,000 hour machine. Still could have some life left, but for that money I think you could get something with fewer hours.

/ Seems like a good deal, but...
Thanks to all that replied. Im going to get a LS J2030H brand new. While its not as big as this particular tractor, its new and big enough for my needs.