TC 18 or TC 21D

/ TC 18 or TC 21D #1  

banjobj

Gold Member
Tractor
TC 21D
I think I have narrowed my choice down to either a NH TC 18 or TC 21D. THe dealer says the 18 will be more than enough.About $1400.00 difference between the two. TC 18 W/ loader,HST, loaded tires, PS, block heater and rear work light: $13,500.00. TC 21 D same as above $14,900.00. I need some opinions on whether it is worth the extra for the increase in HP.

/ TC 18 or TC 21D #2  
I almost bought a TC21 but could'nt come up with the money without a sizable loan, both excellent machines. I bought a Power-Trac and I am very happy so far. My goal was to have one machine for all my chores and it fit very well, completly assembled in USA. (www.power-trac.com)
Don't get the wrong idea, I personaly think the big three are very well built. I just think it is time for some new players. These machines cost more than cars!!

/ TC 18 or TC 21D #3  
To answer this question, you need to decide what jobs you need to do and then the corresponding implements and sizes you need to do the job. Then size your tractor from there. Look at the weight of the implements you want to use also. Generally all tractors can do the same work, but small units are sized to smaller implements and the work takes a little longer. For example, you might also consider the PTO HP of each tractor and then see what HP the cutter, tiller, ect... you want to run requires. It's a tough decision when both units are not sized much different. Start with the implement, then select the tractor to run the implement.

/ TC 18 or TC 21D #4  
banjobj,
If you can swing the extra $1,400.oo I would go for the TC21D.
In years to come you may want other attachments,and the extra hp & pto rpm will come in handy also the bigger the tractor the more comfort you shall have.

Sound like you been doing your home work. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ TC 18 or TC 21D #5  
I dont think its just the h.p.,the power steering comes in handy with mowing and using the loader just to mention a few jobs.Other diffs. are lights,2 on the 18,4 on the 21,engine shielding on the 21,better seat and a few other things.Does it make a difference is up to you,I personally liked the 21 over the 18.Is it worth the $$$$,you tell me.Tom

/ TC 18 or TC 21D #6  
banjobj,

I am the PROUD owner of a Mighty TC18 (18.5 hp) with hydro 4x4, I've had it for about 1 1/2 years now and really like it...the ONLY thing that I would do differently if I could go back and do it again would be to get power steering, I didn't want to wait to order one and mine without power steering was in stock. I generally don't even notice no power steering except when I get in rough terrain, and if I ever add a FEL I will definitely notice it then.

If you look in the New Holland brochure, it shows what implements each of the TC tractors will handle and the only thing that is listed for a TC21 that is not listed for the TC18 is the 60" rear finishing mower...guess what I've been mowing with for the last two summers? Yep, a 60" Woods rear discharge 3 pt. finish mower, and with no problems, I do have to have the required weights on front and so would the TC21.

Other differences: TC18/21 have conventional glow plugs and 21D has Quick heat glow plugs, 18/21 have partial engine shielding and 21D has full, 18/21 have 4.0 gpm hydraulic pump 21D has 4.9, 18/21 have 20 amp alternator 21D has 35 amp, 18/21 have basic seat 21D has deluxe. You can see that you get more than just 2 1/2 hp when you jump up to the TC21D.

More pump flow would probably help that FEL, as far as what someone said about more headlights on the 21D, my TC18 lights up everything at night...it's got great lights. Weight is about 100 lbs. more on the TC21D and frame is the same size. Height of the 21D is 1" taller and rear tire width is about 1 1/2" more. Turning radius is tighter on the TC18 by 73.6" vs 81.5"

The TC18 handles a 4' rotary cutter like a champ too!

If you already had all of this info, sorry for the redundancy, but sometimes it helps to hear how someone else says it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Good Luck, let me know when I can welcome you to "Club Blue"

JimBinMI

6-19648-jimbinminh.gif

/ TC 18 or TC 21D
Thanks to all the responses. I'm going to try out the BOOMERS tomorrow. Will try out the TC 18 hydro and gear and the TC 21 and 21D. Nothing is more helpful than info from actual owners. MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!

/ TC 18 or TC 21D #8  
I can't really speak to the small New Hollands, but can speak about the small HP tractors since I have a Kubota B7100. Basically, 16 hp motor / 13 hp at the pto, with hydrostatic drive, and without power steering. It comfortably runs a 60" mid mount mower, a 4 ft. bush hog, and handles a 5 ft. back blade. The tractor is highly manuverable and has handled every single task I've ever asked it to perform.

The most important thing is to demo the tractors and see what YOU really like. I think hydrostatic drive is worth really considering. With a FEL, I think power steering is worth having. As far as the 18 vs. the 21, you have to weigh the $1400 vs. what your real needs are. Most of us are weekend tractor warriors and unless there is a real need for the bigger units, have to balance wants/needs/budgets.

Good luck on your hunt. Let us when the new Blue Baby will be delivered.

Bob Pence

/ TC 18 or TC 21D #9  
bpence,
Got to agree about the power steering,and thats one of the reason why I have a turf tires also hand knob on the steering wheel. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif
Those B7100 are a little mule for sure!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ TC 18 or TC 21D #10  
banjobj-I'm thinking of going the way of a Kubota B7500. Have you given any thought to this? When discussing prices, the TC21D seems to be about $1600 more than a B7500 with an FEL. The specs seems to indicate that these two machines are pretty close. Is there something I'm missing? Appreciate any comments.

woodie