1962 Ford 4000 Industrial with bucket loader and backhoe

/ 1962 Ford 4000 Industrial with bucket loader and backhoe #1  

Frankdozer

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Case 580CK Backhoe / Loader
I going to look at a 1962 Ford 4000 Industrial Tractor, gas engine, shuttle shift, bucket loader on front and frame mounted backhoe on the rear. The asking price is $2800.00 and really firm. I was told by the owner everything works good. No leaks, gas engine runns great without smoking. Starts right up. Rear tires have chains. Does this tractor have a 3 point hitch if I remove the backhoe? I really need the 3 point hitch rather than the backhoe. At $2800 this seems to be a great find for me only if it has the 3pth. Also, was this a good tractor or should I shy away from it? Frank

/ 1962 Ford 4000 Industrial with bucket loader and backhoe #2  
I think your description of "shuttle shift" on this tractor is a misnomer. I suspect it is Select-O-Speed instead (10 forward and 2 reverse gears). The transmissions in these can be problematic, so you want to thoroughly test it and make sure it works after getting warmed up to operating range. There's nothing wrong with a working SOS transmission, but there's lots wrong with one that is broken or needs repair. Almost nobody wants to touch them. They are a nightmare if they fail.

I had a '64 model Industrial Ford 4000 with a loader and boxblade. It had a 3PH, but no PTO. Many of these industrial models had no PTO, but the one you are looking at might have a PTO pump. Mine had a hydraulic reservoir in front of the radiator and a big pump attached to the front of the engine crankshaft. These tractors normally have big cast iron grill that's HEAVY to lift out of the way, but also provides great protection.

If everything works on this tractor, the $2800 is not a bad price. I paid $3000 for mine and it was a horrible smoker. Even so, I got my money's worth out of it. I was happy to see it leave though when I sold it for $1000 after getting lots of work done. If you don't mind tinkering and the transmission seems okay, I'd consider buying the 4000 as long as it has the 3PH. You'll probably at least have to buy new lift arms and may have to do some hydraulic plumbing to put it back into operation. Just be sure it also has a working PTO if you need that to go along with the 3PH.

/ 1962 Ford 4000 Industrial with bucket loader and backhoe #3  
I have a 1961 ford 621 industrial and as the number states it has no 3pt and no pto just a front end loader and a frame mounted sherman backhoe. I don't know anything about the select-o-speed transmission but have heard as stated above they are great when they work not at all if they don't! As far as no leaks I find that hard to beleive especially at $2800 mine has been totally re-done like 10 to 12 years ago new short block, rebuilt head, all new hoses,new packing in all cylanders, two new (machine shop made) cylanders new paint and it leaks like a sive again it doesn't take much use to get something that old to leak. The leaks are only from the loader and the backhoe tractor is fine and runs great, it's just old equipment is old! Don't get me wrong I love this thing and will probabley keep it till the day I die, then the son will probabley get just like I got it from dad. I mean digging with 4 levers and a two foot wide bucket is way better I really mean way better than a banjo (shovel) by any strech of the imagination! Sure she needs a transfusion (hydraulic oil) quite often, she's not pretty any longerbut she gets the job done. If I were to go out and get a 3pt backhoe or even a frame mounted hoe for the newer tractor they just don't have the power that a direct drive pump hydraulic system has by any means. Well I guess my whole point after all of this is if the select-o-speed works don't worry if it leaks heck it is probabley worth $2800 in scrap metal weight, yea I think that was my point!

/ 1962 Ford 4000 Industrial with bucket loader and backhoe
Well, I went today to see the tractor. The serial number is 164261 and the other number is 40303. It has a front loader, works great but kind of jerky. Has a backhoe works great. Also has a PTO and a 3 point hitch. I can't figure how to operate the 3 point hitch because the mechanizim is broke. but 2 top arms are there and and has the Positive Control and draft control. . The trany is a shuttle shift I think. The speed lever is between your knees. Seems to be 5 speed. The shuttle shift lever is on the left side just above the clutch and you push it forward to go in reverse and pull it back towards the seat to go forward. Has a rebuilt starter and generator, converted to 12 volt. Has rear tire chains. I think the tractor is twice the size of a Ford 8N. I think $2800 plus $250 for delivery is a good deal. Anybody have anymore info on this tractor? And what it's really worth........Thanks, Frank

/ 1962 Ford 4000 Industrial with bucket loader and backhoe #5  
There was a 5-speed transmission and a Sherman reverser on tractors of that era. I'm not sure, but it sounds like you've found one of those or some other retrofit. The PTO and 3PH lift arms should be servicable even if they need some attention.

I just called the local Old Ford Tractor Guru in my area. He says the lever on the left side below the key switch which is about 12" long, you pull it towards you to go forward and push it away from you to go in reverse, is called a reverser. I guess it was good to have with thw loader. When using the reverser from forward to reverse you can just push and pull. No Need to use the clutch. Is this reverser a rare item? I have a dozer with a reverser and I still clutch it. Seems like a good thing to do on these old tractors and dozers. Frank

Well I purchased the tractor, or should I say I had it delivered this morning. The cost to deliver it was $250.00. And was delivered by 2 thirds of the 3 Stooges, the owner being 1 of them. I called the seller at 7:00 AM to reschedule delivery because of the snow that fell last night. He said the tractor was already loaded and there would be " No Problem " getting up the hill to my house. Guess what? The ramp truck got stuck trying to make it up the hill to my houses. Then they tried to back the tractor up the hill and got stuck. Then they tried to drive the tractor up the hill and got stuck. So I finally said leave it at the bottom of the hill off the road and next week after the snow melts I'll drive it up on the gravel. I backed it off the road, shut it off and tried to start it and the starter bendix wouldn't kick in so it wouldn't start. The seller said the starter was " Just Rebuilt " and that shouldn't happen. So he pulled the starter to get it repaired and wil be back next week and will bring a new battery.He's 43 miles away. I explained to the seller that when it starts he'll get paid. So I paid for the delivery only and the $2,800.00 is still in my pocket. FYI: The conversation was very friendly at all times !!!!!!!!! To Be Continued.........Frank

Yesterday, Monday, the seller, per his word, came back with a rebuilt starter and new battery. The tractor started right up and he drove it up my hill no problem. I should add that I spread 4-55 gallon drums of salt / sand mix on the hill to get traction. You could have driven a bicycle up it. He is a man of his word and per my word, I paid him all his cash. I went out to start it first thing this AM and it started up as it should.
Now I need some help with locating parts. The backhoe is a Ford 723 19-300. Where can I get pins for the stabilizer pads and other parts I might need? Frank

/ 1962 Ford 4000 Industrial with bucket loader and backhoe #9  
Congratulations on the new to you tractor. It sounds like you got a good deal and had a good experience with the seller. That us getting to be more and more rare. I wish you luck with the tractor sorry don't know anything about the parts for it. I think a member here that goes by whodat knows the industrial machines. You can ask sound guy he knows members that know the industrial fords.

/ 1962 Ford 4000 Industrial with bucket loader and backhoe #10  
i bet your local machine shop has pins for that machine, hiding inside large stock, just waiting to have that extra outter layer of useless metal lathe'd off waiting for you. ;)