looking at 53 jubilee

/ looking at 53 jubilee #1  

cfield

Tractor
1953 Ford Jubilee
i have never owned a tractor before, and am looking at a 1953 ford golden jubilee. it appears to be taken well care of, just a little faded paint. the description describes a machine with 100% compression in all cylinders, new guages, new brakes, new akle seals, new points, and new lower arm links. the front tires are weighted. the rear tires are filled and have chains on them. this tractor, with a 5ft bushhog, rear scoop, 6ft blade, and boom pole with a 2 hour delivery for 3600. is this a good deal? i have not been able to drive it or see it in person yet. are there other questions i need to ask prior to buying? i have found beat up looking similar models for 2000 and totally restored for 4500, so i think maybe a good fair price for seller and buyer?
thanks

/ looking at 53 jubilee #2  
i have never owned a tractor before, and am looking at a 1953 ford golden jubilee. it appears to be taken well care of, just a little faded paint. the description describes a machine with 100% compression in all cylinders, new guages, new brakes, new akle seals, new points, and new lower arm links. the front tires are weighted. the rear tires are filled and have chains on them. this tractor, with a 5ft bushhog, rear scoop, 6ft blade, and boom pole with a 2 hour delivery for 3600. is this a good deal? i have not been able to drive it or see it in person yet. are there other questions i need to ask prior to buying? i have found beat up looking similar models for 2000 and totally restored for 4500, so i think maybe a good fair price for seller and buyer?
thanks

Sounds a bit high to me from the available information unless the implements are in very good condition.

Be advised that Ford NAA models, of which the Jubilee is one, do not have live PTO (Yes, I am aware of the rare and usually non functional Sherman pinion clutch accessory.).

For that price you could get a more modern 6/86* model with live PTO, more durable differential, better brakes and, possibly, power steering.

SDT

/ looking at 53 jubilee #3  
Hate to disagree with the above poster but I just sold my 53 NAA Jubilee for $3000.00 without any attachment, was a 12V converison and in really good shape.

/ looking at 53 jubilee #4  
Hate to disagree with the above poster but I just sold my 53 NAA Jubilee for $3000.00 without any attachment, was a 12V converison and in really good shape.

Great.

However, I would not pay more than around $2,500 for a decent working NAA because one can buy a decentworking 860 or 861 for just a bit more. The 86* tractors are heavier, have 12 - 15 more HP, live PTO, heavier differential, better brakes, larger tires/rims, five speeds, including a lower first gear and a lower reverse, optional power steering, etc.

SDT

/ looking at 53 jubilee #5  
One thing to know is that Jubilee's are prone to have week brakes.

/ looking at 53 jubilee #6  
Great.

However, I would not pay more than around $2,500 for a decent working NAA because one can buy a decentworking 860 or 861 for just a bit more. The 86* tractors are heavier, have 12 - 15 more HP, live PTO, heavier differential, better brakes, larger tires/rims, five speeds, including a lower first gear and a lower reverse, optional power steering, etc.

SDT

Here for 2500.00 it better be restored.

/ looking at 53 jubilee #7  
Tractor prices do vary somewhat between regions.
For what you describe with the impliments and delivery that price sounds average in this area..
While I am not a real big fan of the NAAs - primarily because they were something of a transition tractor so tranny and rear end parts can be harder to find. But they were capable of doing a lot of useful work for you.
The 600, 800, 601 and 801 were better tractors and usually don't sell for much more than that.
the Hundreds had better hydraulics in addition to the other things mentioned.
The 801s were gas hogs though.
I think live PTO is rather over rated. You will do just fine with non live pto IMO.
None of the smaller Fords had really good brakes. NAA/Jube brakes were no better - or worse - than any other model built with drum brakes. They used an almost identical brake system from 1948 all the way through 1982 or so.
Jube is sure a heck of a lot more tractor than an 8N at least.
Just don't get caught up in the restoration craze. It's easy to dump another $2/3000 into one and never get your money back out of it.
Better to keep it running good, take care of it and if it doesn't suit your purposes down the road you can sell it for what you have into it. Buy a post 1965 Blue Ford which were better than the pre 65 machines.
Keep the impliments as they will fit all the smaller Fords, etc with 3 point.

/ looking at 53 jubilee #9  
I think live PTO is rather over rated. You will do just fine with non live pto IMO.
That's true, unless you're using a PTO-driven implement. :D I wouldn't want to try to run a baler without a live PTO (did it once; never again).
None of the smaller Fords had really good brakes.
I used to think that 'til I first drove my dad's "new" 12V 8N a couple of years ago--the first time I went to make a pedal turn, it dang near threw me off, and almost made a complete 180 before I got off the pedal. That little ol' Ford had surprisingly good brakes (completely unlike the "stand and pray" brakes on my 6V 8N).

/ looking at 53 jubilee #10  
We had that same tractor. It was OK but light weight compared to the 801 we replaced it with. For little more I would lean toward an 861 (5 speed with double clutch since the painted numbers can be without meaning 50 years later) or the 8 speed 3000 series if looking at an older Ford.

I hope I never have to operate ANY PTO equipment with a DEAD PTO when you clutch it.