TC18 finally showed up!

/ TC18 finally showed up! #1  

AndyM

Veteran Member
Tractor
1948 Ford 8N and 1993 Toro WheelHorse 520H
After almost two weeks, the TC18 I bought finally came in at the dealer Saturday morning, and was delivered two hours later. After they closed Friday and it still hadn't showed up, I had pretty much given up until Monday, so when they called Saturday morning, I was pleasantly surprised! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It also cancelled all plans that I had for the day with Mrs. AndyM. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I was in one of those catch 22 situations. I needed a very large riding mower or a small tractor to cut my grass (over 3.6 acres of it) but I have no place, except for a two car garage to keep it. I could put up a pole building, but then I wouldn't have any money left for the tractor! I was all ready to start on the pole building, and my Craftsman mower died for about the 10th time this year. I never did cut my entire yard from start to finish this year without something breaking on it.

I shopped around, both locally and online, and found Corriher's in North Carolina to be the lowest price, even including shipping costs. However, I also decided if I could get one of the local dealers within $200, it would be worth it in the long run to buy it from them. The first dealer, about 20 miles away, was about $120 more than Corriher's. The second dealer, about 30 miles away, was another $250 more than that. The third dealer, which is only about 5 miles down the road, was the same price as the second, but eventually I got them to meet the price of the first place I went. By buying from the closest dealer, I feel will benefit me in the long run...

TC18 gear models must be in short supply, because they couldn't find one, but it's finally here! I did get my 60" finish mower from Corriher's, and I immediately hooked it up yesterday. After not having anything to cut the grass with for about three weeks, it did better than I thought! New Holland recommends a 48" RFM for the TC18 and 60" for the TC21 and TC24, but I've cut through patches 12 inches high with no problems.

I did catch one of my free hats on a low branch, and it ended up under the mower before I had a chance to push in the clutch! I guess that's why they give you more than one hat! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif After 4.9 hours, the tractor is more than I ever expected! It's sized perfectly for my property, but has enough power to do what I need from it.

I cleared out our attached garage and the TC18 fits quite nicely next to Mrs. AndyM's car. The 8N and 2N are now in my dad's barn for the winter (I don't like them sitting out all summer, let alone in the winter), but my goal is to start on my pole building in the spring.

Here's a shot of my new toy, I mean tool, fresh off the truck.

Attachments

• 316550-IM000006.JPG
    316550-IM000006.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 587
   / TC18 finally showed up!
Another view, with my First Choice mower...

Attachments

• 316553-IM000009.JPG
    316553-IM000009.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 633
Rear view, with the mower attached...

That brings me up to five Fords and one New Holland...

1 Ford car, 1 Ford van, 1 Ford truck, 2 Ford tractors, one New Holland tractor! (one 1970's Philco TV with the Ford logo on it, does that count too?)

Attachments

• 316559-IM000010a.JPG
    316559-IM000010a.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 510
   / TC18 finally showed up! #4  
AndyM,

Congrats on your new tractor! I have a '99 TC18 and use a woods 60" rear finish mower...works great, however I do have to have almost 200 lbs. of weight on the front to keep the nose down. Will you need to add weights or is it doing OK. Of course it's only an issue when I'm transporting the mower raised.

Enjoy your TC18 and welcome to <font color="blue"> "Club Blue" </font> /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JimBinMI

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( however I do have to have almost 200 lbs. of weight on the front to keep the nose down. Will you need to add weights or is it doing OK. Of course it's only an issue when I'm transporting the mower raised. )</font>

I haven't had a problem yet. Of course, almost the entire lot is flat as a pancake, and I only raise the mower enough to clear anything when I'm transporting it.

So far, it's a really wonderful combination!

/ TC18 finally showed up! #6  
Congrats Andy! Another TC18 joins the ranks! And they keep telling us that the TC24 is the most popular Class 1 model /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Enjoy!

/ TC18 finally showed up! #7  
Hey AndyM,

Congratulations on the new machine!

I am interested in the TC18 gear model as well. Could you post some pics of the gear shift set up. Is it on the fender or around the steering wheel someplace?

No dealer in my area /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks.

/ TC18 finally showed up! #8  
That's a very nice set-up you got there! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Do you plan on adding a front end loader at any point?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Congrats Andy! Another TC18 joins the ranks! And they keep telling us that the TC24 is the most popular Class 1 model )</font>

That's what they all say. At TBN, it certainly seems the TC18 is more popular. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I already knew that was what I wanted, but I wanted to hurry up and buy it before it was replaced with the TZ18. None of the dealers I talked to seem too enthusiastic about the subcompacts. Their estimates of when the TC18 will be discontinued ranged from a couple of months to a year from now.

/ TC18 finally showed up! #10  
AndyM
You only had to wait two weeks for yours, mine took six weeks to be delievered in 2001. I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice. To Lawnbutcher the shift pattern is an H with 1st top left, 2nd top right, 3rd bottom left and Reverse bottom right.
Solo